Leopard: ghc 6.8.1 and the case of the missing _environ

Leopard: ghc 6.8.1 and the case of the missing _environ

Joel Reymont
Symptoms:

You build 6.8.1 from source on Leopard (x86 in my case) and then

junior:ghc-6.8.1 joelr$ ghci
GHCi, version 6.8.1: http://www.haskell.org/ghc/  :? for help
ghc-6.8.1:
/usr/local/lib/ghc-6.8.1/lib/base-3.0.0.0/HSbase-3.0.0.0.o: unknown
symbol `_environ'
`base'

Problem:

ghc binaries are being stripped upon installation which eliminates
_environ, e.g.

junior:tmp joelr$ nm x|grep environ
00002ff0 T ___hscore_environ
0004d004 D _environ

junior:tmp joelr$ strip x
junior:tmp joelr$ nm x|grep environ

Solution:

Need to make sure install-sh does _not_ use the -s option. Haven't
found out where this needs to be done yet. A temporary workaround is
to ask Manuel for the pre-built binaries.

        Thanks, Joel

--
http://wagerlabs.com

Re: Leopard: ghc 6.8.1 and the case of the missing _environ

Simon Marlow-5
Joel Reymont wrote:

> Symptoms:
>
> You build 6.8.1 from source on Leopard (x86 in my case) and then
>
> junior:ghc-6.8.1 joelr$ ghci
> GHCi, version 6.8.1: http://www.haskell.org/ghc/  :? for help
> ghc-6.8.1:
> /usr/local/lib/ghc-6.8.1/lib/base-3.0.0.0/HSbase-3.0.0.0.o: unknown
> symbol `_environ'
> `base'
 >

> Problem:
>
> ghc binaries are being stripped upon installation which eliminates
> _environ, e.g.
>
> junior:tmp joelr$ nm x|grep environ
> 00002ff0 T ___hscore_environ
> 0004d004 D _environ
>
> junior:tmp joelr$ strip x
> junior:tmp joelr$ nm x|grep environ
>
> Solution:
>
> Need to make sure install-sh does _not_ use the -s option. Haven't found
> out where this needs to be done yet. A temporary workaround is to ask
> Manuel for the pre-built binaries.

MacOS folks: is this still an issue?  If so, could someone create a ticket?

Re: Leopard: ghc 6.8.1 and the case of the missing _environ

haskell-2

> MacOS folks: is this still an issue?  If so, could someone create a ticket?
>
> Cheers,
>     Simon

The issue for MacOS (10.5 Leopard) on powerpc is still

But we suspect that there is more than one issue, since my patch for the
"unknown scattered relocation type 4" does not, in fact, fix everything.

--
Chris

Chris Kuklewicz wrote:

>> MacOS folks: is this still an issue?  If so, could someone create a ticket?
>>
>> Cheers,
>>     Simon
>
> The issue for MacOS (10.5 Leopard) on powerpc is still
>
> But we suspect that there is more than one issue, since my patch for the
> "unknown scattered relocation type 4" does not, in fact, fix everything.

Yes, I've been following that discussion.  But what I'm asking about is
whether the issue that Joel raised about _environ is something that we need
to track/fix separately - I don't remember seeing any further discussion
about it.