Let's plan BayHac 2019!

Dan Burton
It's time to start thinking about the next BayHac!

I am assembling a group of organizers for next year's event. Anyone who has been involved in organizing past BayHac events will be automatically accepted. (I have BCCed a number of past organizers; please reach out to any you know in case I missed anyone.)

Anyone else who is interested in helping to plan BayHac, please contact me. Depending on how many past organizers rejoin, we will discuss the applicants and accept 1 to 3 new organizers.

BayHac is a weekend of learning, sharing, and hacking on a variety of projects for the Haskell community. BayHac usually occurs in San Francisco, California, Mountain View, California, or thereabouts.

I'd like to aim for April/May 2019, though that is, of course, subject to change.

A rough outline, in rough chronological order, of what the BayHac organizers will be doing:

0. Assemble the organizers.
1. Select date and venue for BayHac 2019.
2. Secure corporate sponsors to cover costs (mainly, food).
3. Invite talk proposals and select speakers.
4. Open online registration and publicize the event.
5. Plan details like catering, registration desk, recording, and make it happen!

If any of that sounds like fun to you, then I'd love to hear from you!

-- Dan Burton

Re: Let's plan BayHac 2019!

Edward Kmett-2
At the very least, I'd be interesting in giving a talk, and I can probably convince MIRI to help sponsor if you have a sense of what you need. (They were quite happy with how their sponsorship of ICFP went this year.)

My one personal time constraint in April/May is whenever it turns out Yow! LambdaJam is going to be scheduled. Last year it was May 21-23 and it has held consistently to that part of May.

-Edward

On Sun, Nov 11, 2018 at 11:29 PM Dan Burton <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Chris Smith-31
Hi Dan,

I'm in New York now, so I won't be around as much to help out with organizing.  However, it's likely I could be convinced to come give a talk and participate.  I can also follow some of the same paths that I did this year, to ask about sponsorship by Google.  It was a bit of a mess the last time around, and I don't even remember what ended up happening; but asking earlier is usually better.

Thanks,
Chris

On Sun, Nov 11, 2018 at 11:28 PM Dan Burton <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Update: BayHac will be delayed to July or later this year. There will be an announcement of the precise date and location sometime in the next two to three months.

Your input on what dates to avoid (so as to not conflict with other FP confs) is appreciated.

-- Dan Burton