Libraries for Playing Audio

Atrudyjane
Hello Cafe,

Is there a recommended Haskell library for playing/manipulating audio files? There's a long list of sound libraries on Hackage, and was thinking looking into either conduit-audio or SDL-mixer.

Thank You,
Andrea

Sent with ProtonMail Secure Email.

Re: Libraries for Playing Audio

info-2
There is haskell wrapper for powerful sox availiable also.
http://hackage.haskell.org/package/sox

Alexei

> On 31 July 2017 at 07:09 Atrudyjane <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

> Hello Cafe,
> Is there a recommended Haskell library for playing/manipulating audio files? There's a long list of sound libraries on Hackage, and was thinking looking into either conduit-audio or SDL-mixer.
> Thank You,
> Andrea
>
> Sent with [ProtonMail](https://protonmail.com) Secure Email._______________________________________________
> Beginners mailing list

Re: Libraries for Playing Audio

Atrudyjane
Thanks Alexei,

Think I've narrowed it down to either sox or conduit-audio. Looks like SDL-mixer hasn't been updated in a while and it has an 'All reported builds failed' status as of 2015.

Regards,
Andrea

Sent with ProtonMail Secure Email.

There is haskell wrapper for powerful sox availiable also.
http://hackage.haskell.org/package/sox

Alexei

> On 31 July 2017 at 07:09 Atrudyjane <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

> Hello Cafe,
> Is there a recommended Haskell library for playing/manipulating audio files? There"s a long list of sound libraries on Hackage, and was thinking looking into either conduit-audio or SDL-mixer.
> Thank You,
> Andrea
>
> Sent with [ProtonMail](https://protonmail.com) Secure Email._______________________________________________
> Beginners mailing list

Re: Libraries for Playing Audio

Oliver Charles-3
What are your requirements? SDL2's audio module is functional, but I don't know if it's sufficient for what you're looking for.

On Tue, Aug 1, 2017 at 3:44 AM Atrudyjane <[hidden email]> wrote:
Thanks Alexei,

Think I've narrowed it down to either sox or conduit-audio. Looks like SDL-mixer hasn't been updated in a while and it has an 'All reported builds failed' status as of 2015.

Regards,
Andrea

Sent with ProtonMail Secure Email.

There is haskell wrapper for powerful sox availiable also.

Alexei

> On 31 July 2017 at 07:09 Atrudyjane <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

> Hello Cafe,
> Is there a recommended Haskell library for playing/manipulating audio files? There"s a long list of sound libraries on Hackage, and was thinking looking into either conduit-audio or SDL-mixer.
> Thank You,
> Andrea
>
> Sent with [ProtonMail](https://protonmail.com) Secure Email._______________________________________________
> Beginners mailing list

Re: Libraries for Playing Audio

Atrudyjane
Hi Oliver,

The requirements are to play, pause play, and stop playing an mp3 file. Also would like to use time elapsed and duration data.

Andrea

Sent with ProtonMail Secure Email.

What are your requirements? SDL2's audio module is functional, but I don't know if it's sufficient for what you're looking for.

On Tue, Aug 1, 2017 at 3:44 AM Atrudyjane <[hidden email]> wrote:
Thanks Alexei,

Think I've narrowed it down to either sox or conduit-audio. Looks like SDL-mixer hasn't been updated in a while and it has an 'All reported builds failed' status as of 2015.

Regards,
Andrea

Sent with ProtonMail Secure Email.

There is haskell wrapper for powerful sox availiable also.

Alexei

> On 31 July 2017 at 07:09 Atrudyjane <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

> Hello Cafe,
> Is there a recommended Haskell library for playing/manipulating audio files? There"s a long list of sound libraries on Hackage, and was thinking looking into either conduit-audio or SDL-mixer.
> Thank You,
> Andrea
>
> Sent with [ProtonMail](https://protonmail.com) Secure Email._______________________________________________
> Beginners mailing list

Re: Libraries for Playing Audio

Oliver Charles-3
That would be doable with SDL2, but you'll need to handle mp3 decoding yourself - perhaps using lame or something.

On Wed, Aug 2, 2017 at 2:24 AM Atrudyjane <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Oliver,

The requirements are to play, pause play, and stop playing an mp3 file. Also would like to use time elapsed and duration data.

Andrea

Sent with ProtonMail Secure Email.

What are your requirements? SDL2's audio module is functional, but I don't know if it's sufficient for what you're looking for.

On Tue, Aug 1, 2017 at 3:44 AM Atrudyjane <[hidden email]> wrote:
Thanks Alexei,

Think I've narrowed it down to either sox or conduit-audio. Looks like SDL-mixer hasn't been updated in a while and it has an 'All reported builds failed' status as of 2015.

Regards,
Andrea

Sent with ProtonMail Secure Email.

There is haskell wrapper for powerful sox availiable also.

Alexei

> On 31 July 2017 at 07:09 Atrudyjane <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

> Hello Cafe,
> Is there a recommended Haskell library for playing/manipulating audio files? There"s a long list of sound libraries on Hackage, and was thinking looking into either conduit-audio or SDL-mixer.
> Thank You,
> Andrea
>
> Sent with [ProtonMail](https://protonmail.com) Secure Email._______________________________________________
> Beginners mailing list

Re: Libraries for Playing Audio

Atrudyjane
For mp3 decoding in Haskell, a quick search brought up the mp3decoder library (which is not recommended by the author, experimental only), the LAME library (encoding only). conduit-audio-lame (encoding only). Looks like mp3 decoding with lame will be a project by itself!

Andrea

Sent with ProtonMail Secure Email.

The Haskell-Beginners Mailing List - Discussion of primarily beginner-level topics related to Haskell <[hidden email]>, [hidden email] <[hidden email]>