Library for rendering text

Jona Ekenberg
Dear mailing list,

I want to create a text editor, preferably using open gl to render text. Are there any easy to use libraries for this? I like the gloss library, but the functions for rendering text seems quite basic. I could add upon this, but I figured I should ask here first; are there any existing libraries suitable for rendering text?

Kind regards,
Jona

Re: Library for rendering text

Jona Ekenberg
Thanks for your reply Stefan.

When I look for cairo bindings for Haskell I find several different ones. Is there any one considered "the best" or most current? It does seem like a suitable combination.

Den 4 okt. 2017 12:49 em skrev "Stefan Risberg" <[hidden email]>:
Wouldn't pango with Cairo be good combination?

On 4 Oct 2017 10:53 AM, "Jona Ekenberg" <[hidden email]> wrote:
Dear mailing list,

I want to create a text editor, preferably using open gl to render text. Are there any easy to use libraries for this? I like the gloss library, but the functions for rendering text seems quite basic. I could add upon this, but I figured I should ask here first; are there any existing libraries suitable for rendering text?

Kind regards,
Jona

Re: Library for rendering text

Sylvain Henry-2

FontyFruity with Rasterific could also be a good native Haskell alternative.

I've used it to write a little terminal demo with haskus-system: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dg9KyMk2n5E

Regards,
Sylvain

On 04/10/2017 12:48, Stefan Risberg wrote:
Wouldn't pango with Cairo be good combination?

On 4 Oct 2017 10:53 AM, "Jona Ekenberg" <[hidden email]> wrote:
Dear mailing list,

I want to create a text editor, preferably using open gl to render text. Are there any easy to use libraries for this? I like the gloss library, but the functions for rendering text seems quite basic. I could add upon this, but I figured I should ask here first; are there any existing libraries suitable for rendering text?

Kind regards,
Jona

Re: Library for rendering text

Stefan Risberg
You have Cairo and gi-cairo, I think that gi-cairo are autogenerated and from my experience a bit of a pain to set up.

It also depends on if you use stack, cabal or nix of course for your project. But I think both are mostly equal