Machine-readable nightly output

Edward Z. Yang
Hey Geoffrey,

The nightly builds are running on your box, correct?  How
hard would it be to modify the nightly scripts so that
they also output machine-readable information about the build?
For example, we could then setup a fingerprint database, where
given some revision of head, you could find out if it built,
and what the hashes of all the repositories it built with were.

Edward

Machine-readable nightly output

Geoffrey Mainland
The nightly builds are running on machines at MSR. They're behind a
firewall/proxy, so even getting them to send out nightly emails was a chore.

I was planning on turning off the nightlies before I leave since they
frequently break (for example when libffi was moved into its own repo
everything broek) and there will no longer be anyone around to fix the
breakage. I was going to set up new nightly builds somewhere else and
put some effort into improving them. Ideally we can move to a uniform
build infrastructure by integrating with what is handled by
darcs.haskell.org. I haven't taken the time to look at that code,
though...are you familiar with it? I agree that we could use some more
automation support.

Geoff

On 08/09/2013 01:15 AM, Edward Z. Yang wrote:

> Hey Geoffrey,
>
> The nightly builds are running on your box, correct?  How
> hard would it be to modify the nightly scripts so that
> they also output machine-readable information about the build?
> For example, we could then setup a fingerprint database, where
> given some revision of head, you could find out if it built,
> and what the hashes of all the repositories it built with were.
>
> Edward

Machine-readable nightly output

Edward Z. Yang
No, I'm unfamiliar with both sets of code.  IIRC, we also have a
buildbot infrastructure, for which anyone can volunteer a machine to do
a build on, but we don't tend to do a very good job of taking care of
these machines.  Perhaps if we centralized things a bit and made it
easier for GHC devs to tweak how nightlies were being run, it would
be helpful.

Edward

Excerpts from Geoffrey Mainland's message of Thu Aug 08 21:53:41 -0400 2013: