Maintainship of edit-distance and lattices

Maintainship of edit-distance and lattices

Oleg Grenrus
Hi,

I’d like to help with maintaining of mentioned packages:

Max doesn’t seem to be active on GitHub, there are
- a PR to edit-distance fixing the build on GHC 7.10, open for 26 days: https://github.com/batterseapower/edit-distance/pull/3
- a PR to lattices opened at Jan 8 2015 (open for over 3 months already) https://github.com/batterseapower/lattices/pull/3

I could take over the maintainership of the packages, if Max doesn’t respond in two weeks

- Oleg Grenrus

Re: Maintainship of edit-distance and lattices

Sean Leather-2
Hi Oleg,

On Sun, Apr 26, 2015 at 3:52 PM, Oleg Grenrus wrote:
I’d like to help with maintaining of mentioned packages:

Max doesn’t seem to be active on GitHub, there are
- a PR to edit-distance fixing the build on GHC 7.10, open for 26 days: https://github.com/batterseapower/edit-distance/pull/3

I have a pull request open for over a year. It was minor, so I didn't follow up on it:

- a PR to lattices opened at Jan 8 2015 (open for over 3 months already) https://github.com/batterseapower/lattices/pull/3

I could take over the maintainership of the packages, if Max doesn’t respond in two weeks

There have been other, similar requests to Max within the last 2 years or so, and I don't think there were any responses. I would be in favor of somebody else taking over as maintainer.

Regards,
Sean

Re: Maintainship of edit-distance and lattices

Adam Bergmark-2
Hi Oleg,

edit-distance is also being tracked here: https://github.com/haskell-infra/hackage-trustees/issues/19
Please update it with a link to this discussion.

You can also open a new issue for lattices so we can keep track of the progress for it as well.

On Sun, Apr 26, 2015 at 5:50 PM, Sean Leather <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Opened a trustee issue:

I have no hurry with lattices, as it compiles with 7.10 ok.

- Oleg

On 26 Apr 2015, at 20:06, Adam Bergmark <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

davean
I use http://hackage.haskell.org/package/lattices heavily so I care what becomes of it, but haven't had issues with it.

I too have noticed he's not around though with his other packages.

On Sun, Apr 26, 2015 at 1:22 PM, Oleg Grenrus <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

to make it clear. I don’t want to drastically change lattices or edit-distance; I use them and they are ok, wouldn’t use otherwise.

There are only few things on top of my mind, I could make as a maintainer:

- add Eq, Ord, Show etc instances to data types there:
    http://hackage.haskell.org/package/lattices-1.2.1.1/docs/Algebra-Lattice-Dropped.html
- make point-wise instances for Lattice b => Lattice (a -> b) (same way as with Monoid)
- write tests

edit-distance would benefit from `cabal test` too (there are tests, but as executables). Then they’ll be run by stackage builds.

- Oleg

> On 26 Apr 2015, at 21:19, davean <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I use http://hackage.haskell.org/package/lattices heavily so I care what becomes of it, but haven't had issues with it.
>
> I too have noticed he's not around though with his other packages.
>
> On Sun, Apr 26, 2015 at 1:22 PM, Oleg Grenrus <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Opened a trustee issue:
>
> https://github.com/haskell-infra/hackage-trustees/issues/31
>
> I have no hurry with lattices, as it compiles with 7.10 ok.
>
> - Oleg
>
>> On 26 Apr 2015, at 20:06, Adam Bergmark <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Hi Oleg,
>>
>> edit-distance is also being tracked here: https://github.com/haskell-infra/hackage-trustees/issues/19
>> Please update it with a link to this discussion.
>>
>> You can also open a new issue for lattices so we can keep track of the progress for it as well.
>>

>> On Sun, Apr 26, 2015 at 5:50 PM, Sean Leather <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hi Oleg,
>>
>> On Sun, Apr 26, 2015 at 3:52 PM, Oleg Grenrus wrote:
>> I’d like to help with maintaining of mentioned packages:
>> - http://hackage.haskell.org/package/edit-distance
>> - http://hackage.haskell.org/package/lattices
>>
>> Max doesn’t seem to be active on GitHub, there are
>> - a PR to edit-distance fixing the build on GHC 7.10, open for 26 days: https://github.com/batterseapower/edit-distance/pull/3
>>
>> I have a pull request open for over a year. It was minor, so I didn't follow up on it:
>> https://github.com/batterseapower/edit-distance/pull/2
>>
>> - a PR to lattices opened at Jan 8 2015 (open for over 3 months already) https://github.com/batterseapower/lattices/pull/3
>>
>> I could take over the maintainership of the packages, if Max doesn’t respond in two weeks
>>
>> There have been other, similar requests to Max within the last 2 years or so, and I don't think there were any responses. I would be in favor of somebody else taking over as maintainer.
>>
>> Regards,
>> Sean

RE: Maintainship of edit-distance and lattices

Simon Peyton Jones

There have been other, similar requests to Max within the last 2 years or so, and I don't think there were any responses. I would be in favor of somebody else taking over as maintainer.

As I understand it, after a period of tremendous productivity, Max is no longer active in the Haskell community.  I doubt that he would be offended if you took over maintainership.  On the contrary, it would be a way of keeping his past contributions up to date and useful to today’s community.

Simon