Marketing Haskell

Simon Peyton Jones

Dear Haskell enthusiasts,

Now that the logo issue finally has been settled, it is time to select
the proper Haskell mascot.  As you are no doubt aware, Microsoft's
involvement in Haskell means that we have moved from avoiding success
at all cost to actively marketing the language, and any language
striving for success is entirely dependent on a cute and distinctive
mascot.  Where would Perl be today without its camel?

Since the recent logo discussion has demonstrated once and for all the
futility of attempting a democratic process in the Haskell community -
to be quite honest, the elected logo looks like an error message from an IBM
mainframe - I have decided to decide on a mascot myself.

So I hereby declare the official Haskell mascot to be the koala, in
the form of the image attached below.  Please ensure that this image
accompanies any material published on the web or on paper.

haskell-mascot.jpg (6K) Download Attachment

Re: Marketing Haskell

Colin Paul Adams

    Simon> So I hereby declare the official Haskell mascot to be the
    Simon> koala, in the form of the image attached below.

Could you please explain the logic that caused you to choose a koala?

I have hitherto been unaware of any connection between this creature
and the entity concerned.

I would have thought a fish be more appropriate (at least across the channel).
--
Colin Adams
Preston Lancashire

Re: Marketing Haskell

Lennart Augustsson
Koalas are slow and lazy animals.  I think the choice is highly appropriate.

  -- Lennart

On Wed, Apr 1, 2009 at 8:22 AM, Colin Paul Adams
<[hidden email]> wrote:

>    Simon> So I hereby declare the official Haskell mascot to be the
>    Simon> koala, in the form of the image attached below.
>
> Could you please explain the logic that caused you to choose a koala?
>
> I have hitherto been unaware of any connection between this creature
> and the entity concerned.
>
> I would have thought a fish be more appropriate (at least across the channel).
> --
> Colin Adams
> Preston Lancashire

Re: Marketing Haskell

Simon  Thompson

wikipedia also says

 "The only people who are permitted to keep Koalas are wildlife carers
 and, occasionally, research scientists."

Simon T.

On Wed, 1 Apr 2009, Lennart Augustsson wrote:

> Koalas are slow and lazy animals.  I think the choice is highly appropriate.
>
>   -- Lennart

> >    Simon> So I hereby declare the official Haskell mascot to be the
> >    Simon> koala, in the form of the image attached below.
> >
> > Could you please explain the logic that caused you to choose a koala?
> >
> > I have hitherto been unaware of any connection between this creature
> > and the entity concerned.
> >
> > I would have thought a fish be more appropriate (at least across the channel).
> > --
> > Colin Adams
> > Preston Lancashire

Re: Marketing Haskell

Colin Paul Adams

    Simon T> wikipedia also says

    Simon T>  "The only people who are permitted to keep Koalas are
    Simon T> wildlife carers and, occasionally, research scientists."

Well, I'm neither.
And I didn't think the entity concerned was Haskell. I assumed
something more up-to-date was the relevant entity.

    Lennart> Koalas are slow and lazy animals.  I think the choice is highly appropriate.

    Colin> I have hitherto been unaware of any connection between this
    Colin> creature and the entity concerned.

--
Colin Adams
Preston Lancashire

Re: Marketing Haskell

Michael Lesniak
Hello,

> So I hereby declare the official Haskell mascot to be the koala, in
> the form of the image attached below.
Is it possible to get a bigger version of this image to appropriately
identify the koala? ;-)

Kind regards,
Michael

--
Dipl.-Inf. Michael C. Lesniak
University of Kassel

Wilhelmshöher Allee 73
34121 Kassel

Phone: +49-(0)561-804-6269

Re: Marketing Haskell

Angelos Sphyris
Surely, I can't be the only person to suspect an April Fool's Day joke
lurking behind this choice of mascot!

A good one indeed, Simon.

Best regards
Angelos

> Now that the logo issue finally has been settled, it is time to select
> the proper Haskell mascot.  As you are no doubt aware, Microsoft's
> involvement in Haskell means that we have moved from avoiding success
> at all cost to actively marketing the language, and any language
> striving for success is entirely dependent on a cute and distinctive
> mascot.  Where would Perl be today without its camel?
>
> Since the recent logo discussion has demonstrated once and for all the
> futility of attempting a democratic process in the Haskell community -
> to be quite honest, the elected logo looks like an error message from an
> IBM
> mainframe - I have decided to decide on a mascot myself.
>
> So I hereby declare the official Haskell mascot to be the koala, in
> the form of the image attached below.  Please ensure that this image
> accompanies any material published on the web or on paper.
>
> Simon

Re: Marketing Haskell

Bugzilla from jonathanccast@fastmail.fm
On Wed, 2009-04-01 at 10:07 +0200, Simon Peyton-Jones wrote:

> Dear Haskell enthusiasts,
>
> Now that the logo issue finally has been settled, it is time to select
> the proper Haskell mascot.  As you are no doubt aware, Microsoft's
> involvement in Haskell means that we have moved from avoiding success
> at all cost to actively marketing the language, and any language
> striving for success is entirely dependent on a cute and distinctive
> mascot.  Where would Perl be today without its camel?
>
> Since the recent logo discussion has demonstrated once and for all the
> futility of attempting a democratic process in the Haskell community -
> to be quite honest, the elected logo looks like an error message from an IBM
> mainframe - I have decided to decide on a mascot myself.
>
> So I hereby declare the official Haskell mascot to be the koala, in
> the form of the image attached below.  Please ensure that this image
> accompanies any material published on the web or on paper.

The sad thing is, despite the form of this message, I entirely agree
with the content...

jcc

Re: Marketing Haskell

Wolfram Kahl

 > A good one indeed, Simon.

Check the ``Received: from'' headers of the original message...

Wolfram

Re: Marketing Haskell

Ketil Malde-5

"Angelos Sphyris" <[hidden email]> writes:

> Surely, I can't be the only person to suspect an April Fool's Day joke

Well, since nobody seems to bite anyway, I guess I might as well 'fess
up.

As we rely on Simon P J and others like him not only to provide us
with the theoretical foundations, but also with the implementation of
the language we all use and love, I thought perhaps I'd step in and
relieve him of some of the load of providing additional entertainment.

Thus, in the name of expediency, I took the liberty pasting together
a couple of images (alas, of too poor resolution).  I added some
accompanying text that he otherwise would have had to write himself,
and posted it to the mailing list.  Or, to put it more bluntly, I
forged the message (a fact that can be verified with a casual
inspection of the headers).

I realize nobody took the message seriously, but lest anybody think
Simon actually be responsible for my feeble joke, or, heavens forbid,
suggest a mascot based on a picture of himself, I hereby take full
responsibility, and promise never ever to do it again for the next 364
days.

-k

Re: Marketing Haskell

Ryan Ingram
I, for one, welcome our new Koala overlords.

Thank you, Mr. Peyton-Koala, for this wonderful contribution to our community.

  -- ryan

2009/4/1 Simon Peyton-Jones <[hidden email]>:

> Dear Haskell enthusiasts,
>
> Now that the logo issue finally has been settled, it is time to select
> the proper Haskell mascot.  As you are no doubt aware, Microsoft's
> involvement in Haskell means that we have moved from avoiding success
> at all cost to actively marketing the language, and any language
> striving for success is entirely dependent on a cute and distinctive
> mascot.  Where would Perl be today without its camel?
>
> Since the recent logo discussion has demonstrated once and for all the
> futility of attempting a democratic process in the Haskell community -
> to be quite honest, the elected logo looks like an error message from an IBM
> mainframe - I have decided to decide on a mascot myself.
>
> So I hereby declare the official Haskell mascot to be the koala, in
> the form of the image attached below.  Please ensure that this image
> accompanies any material published on the web or on paper.
>
> Simon

Re: Marketing Haskell

Benjamin L. Russell
On Wed, 01 Apr 2009 07:24:54 -0700, Jonathan Cast
<[hidden email]> wrote:

>The sad thing is, despite the form of this message, I entirely agree
>with the content...

Likewise.  Why don't we ask the real Simon to choose an additional
mascot for Haskell?  Something slow and lazy would do....

-- Benjamin L. Russell
--
Benjamin L. Russell  /   DekuDekuplex at Yahoo dot com
http://dekudekuplex.wordpress.com/

Re: Re: Marketing Haskell

Bulat Ziganshin-2
Hello Benjamin,

> Likewise.  Why don't we ask the real Simon to choose an additional
> mascot for Haskell?  Something slow and lazy would do....

i propose myself...

Re: Re: Marketing Haskell

Marc A. Ziegert
slow and lazy... that's me, too. but haskell is not slow.

how about an octopus?

there are some kinds (or all?), which are more chameleon like than real chameleons; they can look like strange fishes, stones, or whatever.
they have a decentralized brain (like multi core), are really intelligent (can even open cucumber glasses, but probably not 100 bottles of beer) and are from the stronger types of animals; strong because they save their energy (glucose and oxygen) in their blood for times when they need it -- like being lazy but fast.
they can swim backwards and can squeeze themself through holes of the size of their own eyes -- reminds me of javascript as backend.
and they are funny and cool: they squirt water at you like dolphins -- the "Quotes of the Week" are funny and cool, too, but you have to wet yourself.

imho, you can compare them to handy parrots (but mute) with colour/sign language and chameleon features. and they know some ninja arts; inky, but ninjas are cool.

some videos:
The Indonesian Mimic Octopus <http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H8oQBYw6xxc>
One Very Clever Octopus <http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VLLQOK1gZE4>
Skilled octopus opens bottles <http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wfRqYjv9QgA>
Octopus escaping through a one inch hole <http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9-azBDt0kik>
Wow! Giant octopus - extreme animals - BBC wildlife <http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lwAqhThd_EQ>
Pulpos: suave inteligencia (Octopus intelligence) <http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T8cf7tPoN5o>

- marc

Am Donnerstag, 2. April 2009 schrieb Bulat Ziganshin:

> Hello Benjamin,
>
> Thursday, April 2, 2009, 2:54:38 PM, you wrote:
>
> > Likewise.  Why don't we ask the real Simon to choose an additional
> > mascot for Haskell?  Something slow and lazy would do....
>
> i propose myself...
>
> --
> Best regards,
>  Bulat                            mailto:[hidden email]

Re: Re: Marketing Haskell

Jean-Philippe Bernardy
On Fri, Apr 3, 2009 at 7:12 AM, Marc A. Ziegert <[hidden email]> wrote:

> how about an octopus?

I could not resist the opportunity to combine two great ideas and give
you the haskell octopus logo in attachment. It's a bit rough, but with
a bit more polish, what do you think?

Cheers,
JP.

octopus-logo-small.gif (2K) Download Attachment

Re: Re: Marketing Haskell

Anton van Straaten
Jean-Philippe Bernardy wrote:
On Fri, Apr 3, 2009 at 7:12 AM, Marc A. Ziegert [hidden email] wrote:

how about an octopus?

I could not resist the opportunity to combine two great ideas and give
you the haskell octopus logo in attachment. It's a bit rough, but with
a bit more polish, what do you think?

Octopus?  I thought it was a narwhal orgy.

Re: Marketing Haskell

Benjamin L. Russell
On Fri, 3 Apr 2009 09:09:26 +0200, Jean-Philippe Bernardy
<[hidden email]> wrote:

>On Fri, Apr 3, 2009 at 7:12 AM, Marc A. Ziegert <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> how about an octopus?
>
>I could not resist the opportunity to combine two great ideas and give
>you the haskell octopus logo in attachment. It's a bit rough, but with
>a bit more polish, what do you think?

Nice try, but an octupus has eight arms, not seven.  What about the
remaining arm?

Or is that a logo of two octopi, one with four arms, and the other
with three?  Oh no, the poor octopi!

-- Benjamin L. Russell
--
Benjamin L. Russell  /   DekuDekuplex at Yahoo dot com
http://dekudekuplex.wordpress.com/
Translator/Interpreter / Mobile:  +011 81 80-3603-6725
-- Matsuo Basho^

Re: Re: Marketing Haskell

Thomas Davie-2

On 3 Apr 2009, at 09:25, Benjamin L.Russell wrote:

> On Fri, 3 Apr 2009 09:09:26 +0200, Jean-Philippe Bernardy
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> On Fri, Apr 3, 2009 at 7:12 AM, Marc A. Ziegert <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> how about an octopus?
>>
>> I could not resist the opportunity to combine two great ideas and
>> give
>> you the haskell octopus logo in attachment. It's a bit rough, but
>> with
>> a bit more polish, what do you think?
>
> Nice try, but an octupus has eight arms, not seven.  What about the
> remaining arm?
>
> Or is that a logo of two octopi, one with four arms, and the other
> with three?  Oh no, the poor octopi!

If it's an octopi, surely it should have 3.1415926... arms?  Where's
the 0.1415926...?

Bob