Montreal Haskell

Asher Klein
Hi everyone! New member here! Anyone know of Haskell jobs in Montreal for new grads? Thanks!

Re: Montreal Haskell

Mario Blažević-3
On 2019-01-26 6:54 p.m., Asher Klein wrote:
> Hi everyone! New member here! Anyone know of Haskell jobs in Montreal
> for new grads? Thanks!

You're more likely to get an answer at
https://www.meetup.com/lambda-montreal/

Re: Montreal Haskell

John Z.
> Hi everyone! New member here! Anyone know of Haskell jobs in Montreal for
> new grads? Thanks!

    I'm in MTL myself, and I'm working with Haskell for past 6 years;
the best I've found among general jobs in functional programming is
Scala (and perhaps Kotlin) - but those are all OOP jobs where people
adopt languages with fp features purely for 'cleaner syntax'. If you're
looking for strict division between runtime and compile time knowledge,
type safety - you're out of luck.  The best I've found is a practice
obsessed with unit testing.

    Morgan-Stanley do their own internal version of Haskell, and they're
strongly oriented towards performance and correctness, and the people
that interviewed me seemed quite experienced and smart - I had really
awesome interview experience with Morgan-Stanley, even in comparison to
Google.
    I've failed both interviews, tho :-D

    In any case, there are job postings here sometimes, and often
companies are willing to consider remote work, given that haskell jobs
and haskell professionals are scarcely distributed all around the world.

    That lambda meeting mentioned, I was looking into that myself, but
afaik - it hasn't happened in a long, long time.

    Salut!

--
"That gum you like is going to come back in style."

Re: Montreal Haskell

Asher Klein
Thanks, John, for your response! Personally I'm looking for a culture with some interesting mathematical background, more than any particular language feature.
Would you be able to tell me some more about what goes on at Morgan Stanley?
Thanks

On Sun, Jan 27, 2019, 12:42 PM John Z. <[hidden email] wrote:
> Hi everyone! New member here! Anyone know of Haskell jobs in Montreal for
> new grads? Thanks!

    I'm in MTL myself, and I'm working with Haskell for past 6 years;
the best I've found among general jobs in functional programming is
Scala (and perhaps Kotlin) - but those are all OOP jobs where people
adopt languages with fp features purely for 'cleaner syntax'. If you're
looking for strict division between runtime and compile time knowledge,
type safety - you're out of luck.  The best I've found is a practice
obsessed with unit testing.

    Morgan-Stanley do their own internal version of Haskell, and they're
strongly oriented towards performance and correctness, and the people
that interviewed me seemed quite experienced and smart - I had really
awesome interview experience with Morgan-Stanley, even in comparison to
Google.
    I've failed both interviews, tho :-D

    In any case, there are job postings here sometimes, and often
companies are willing to consider remote work, given that haskell jobs
and haskell professionals are scarcely distributed all around the world.

    That lambda meeting mentioned, I was looking into that myself, but
afaik - it hasn't happened in a long, long time.

    Salut!

--
"That gum you like is going to come back in style."

Re: Montreal Haskell

John Z.
> Thanks, John, for your response! Personally I'm looking for a culture with
> some interesting mathematical background, more than any particular language
> feature.

I figured ;-) That's what I'm looking for too, but its really, REALLY
hard to find a company that's trying to do something different.

> Would you be able to tell me some more about what goes on at Morgan Stanley?

They have state of the art trading engine/service. I am not sure how far
do they go with formal methods, when it comes to the design, but they
are very mindful of roperties of control and data structures they use to
model it. At the very least, that's the impression I've got during the
interview: they asked me to develop a small statistical algorithm, and
then asked to optimize it to hit at least O(log n).

They're also constantly looking for C++ and Java programmers, so you
could apply there, get employed, and then work to switch to their
Haskell team.

--
"That gum you like is going to come back in style."

Re: Montreal Haskell

Asher Klein
What about directly to their Haskell team??

On Sun, Jan 27, 2019, 2:46 PM John Z. <[hidden email] wrote:
> Thanks, John, for your response! Personally I'm looking for a culture with
> some interesting mathematical background, more than any particular language
> feature.

I figured ;-) That's what I'm looking for too, but its really, REALLY
hard to find a company that's trying to do something different.

> Would you be able to tell me some more about what goes on at Morgan Stanley?

They have state of the art trading engine/service. I am not sure how far
do they go with formal methods, when it comes to the design, but they
are very mindful of roperties of control and data structures they use to
model it. At the very least, that's the impression I've got during the
interview: they asked me to develop a small statistical algorithm, and
then asked to optimize it to hit at least O(log n).

They're also constantly looking for C++ and Java programmers, so you
could apply there, get employed, and then work to switch to their
Haskell team.

--
"That gum you like is going to come back in style."

Re: Montreal Haskell

Doug McIlroy
> Morgan-Stanley do their own internal version of Haskell, and they're
> strongly oriented towards performance and correctness

Interestingly eclectic. They also employ Bjarne Stroustup,
the eminence grise of C++.

Doug McIlroy