More possibilities for border width customization

More possibilities for border width customization

Bogdan Sinitsyn
Sometimes it would be better to customize border width depending on window. Is
it possible to merge this functionality into core?
--
Bogdan Sinitsyn

Re: More possibilities for border width customization

Brandon Allbery
On Tue, Dec 29, 2015 at 4:10 PM, Brent Yorgey <[hidden email]> wrote:
This seems to me like it would be a rather invasive breaking change (changing the type of a field in the main xmonad config record).  Personally I do not think it would be worth it.  However if someone makes a patch, along with a reasoned justification, it will certainly be considered.

Not everything belongs in core. What I usually suggest in IRC is:

   setBorder bw = ask >>= \w -> liftX (withDisplay $ \d -> io $ setWindowBorderWidth d w bw) >> idHook

and then apply it to windows in the ManageHook.
An argument could possibly be made for that function going into the core... but probably should start out in contrib.

On Tuesday, December 29, 2015 9:10:56 PM MSK Brent Yorgey wrote:

> This seems to me like it would be a rather invasive breaking change
> (changing the type of a field in the main xmonad config record).
> Personally I do not think it would be worth it.  However if someone makes a
> patch, along with a reasoned justification, it will certainly be considered.
>
> -Brent
>
> On Tue, Dec 22, 2015 at 1:25 PM Bogdan Sinitsyn <[hidden email]>
>
> wrote:
> > Sometimes it would be better to customize border width depending on
> > window. Is
> > it possible to merge this functionality into core?
> > --
> > Bogdan Sinitsyn
It can be done by adding new field of type `Query (Maybe Dimension)`. This
solution does not break compatibility with almost all old configurations(it
will break only those, who use `XConfig { ... }`, not `def { ... }`). PR on
GitHub is already made.

On Tuesday, December 29, 2015 4:19:38 PM MSK you wrote:

> On Tue, Dec 29, 2015 at 4:10 PM, Brent Yorgey <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > This seems to me like it would be a rather invasive breaking change
> > (changing the type of a field in the main xmonad config record).
> > Personally I do not think it would be worth it.  However if someone makes
> > patch, along with a reasoned justification, it will certainly be
> > considered.
> Not everything belongs in core. What I usually suggest in IRC is:
>
>    setBorder bw = ask >>= \w -> liftX (withDisplay $ \d -> io $
> setWindowBorderWidth d w bw) >> idHook
>
> and then apply it to windows in the ManageHook.
> An argument could possibly be made for that function going into the core...
> but probably should start out in contrib.

This doesn't help, just like hack with layoutHook similar to X.L.NoBorders
Adding something like this to handleEventHook is not so useless, but it shows
original borders for some time, so, I think, that's not a solution.

--
Bogdan Sinitsyn