Moving hadrian to submodule

Ben Gamari-3
Hello everyone,

A bit over a month ago we merged hadrian into the ghc tree as a subtree.
Unfortunately, those working on Hadrian have found the subtree mechanism
to provide a rather poor developer experience. Consequently, today I
will be ripping out the subtree and replacing it with a submodule.

After pulling the commit performing this change you will likely need to
do the following to emplace the new submodule,

    $ git submodule update --init
    $ git -C hadrian checkout .

Cheers,

- Ben

Re: Moving hadrian to submodule

Ara Adkins
Sounds good! Hopefully this doesn’t cause a flood of commit messages.

_ara

> On 8 Dec 2017, at 18:50, Ben Gamari <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hello everyone,
>
> A bit over a month ago we merged hadrian into the ghc tree as a subtree.
> Unfortunately, those working on Hadrian have found the subtree mechanism
> to provide a rather poor developer experience. Consequently, today I
> will be ripping out the subtree and replacing it with a submodule.
>
> After pulling the commit performing this change you will likely need to
> do the following to emplace the new submodule,
>
>    $ git submodule update --init
>    $ git -C hadrian checkout .
>
> Cheers,
>
> - Ben

Re: Moving hadrian to submodule

Boespflug, Mathieu
Great! A submodule makes a lot more sense to me, at least short term. I would hope that medium term the development processes of GHC-as-a-whole and Hadrian(-a-part-of-GHC) can converge, so that a submodule is no longer necessary. Submodules do have their downsides and it would be odd for such a core part as the build system to be kept external to the main repo.

--
Mathieu Boespflug
Founder at http://tweag.io.