Multiple Screens

Christian Solje
I am trying to get my 3 monitor setup to work with independent screens, I am also trying to have the xmobar to show on every screen that I got.
How should I go about getting it to work?

Best Regards

Christian

Re: Multiple Screens

Peter Jones
Christian Solje <[hidden email]> writes:
> I am trying to get my 3 monitor setup to work with independent
> screens, I am also trying to have the xmobar to show on every screen
> that I got.
> How should I go about getting it to work?

What do you mean by "independent screens"?  Are you talking about
XMonad.Layout.IndependentScreens or your physical monitors?

As long as the X11 Haskell module was compiled with Xinerama support
then multiple monitor support works out of the box.  The default
behavior is to allow each monitor to display a workspace independent of
what the other monitors are displaying.

XMonad.Layout.IndependentScreens allows you to change that behavior to
match that of dwm's.

  https://hackage.haskell.org/package/xmonad-contrib-0.12/docs/XMonad-Layout-IndependentScreens.html

As for three copies of xmobar, I believe you just need three
configuration files specifying where each bar should be displayed and
then start three copies.

--
Peter Jones, Founder, Devalot.com
Defending the honor of good code

Re: Multiple Screens

Christian Solje
That is what I am looking for but I just can seem to figure out how to configure it to work. Like what do I need to add and where.

Best Regards

Christian

> On Feb 2, 2016, at 10:53 PM, Peter Jones <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Christian Solje <[hidden email]> writes:
>> I am trying to get my 3 monitor setup to work with independent
>> screens, I am also trying to have the xmobar to show on every screen
>> that I got.
>> How should I go about getting it to work?
>
> What do you mean by "independent screens"?  Are you talking about
> XMonad.Layout.IndependentScreens or your physical monitors?
>
> As long as the X11 Haskell module was compiled with Xinerama support
> then multiple monitor support works out of the box.  The default
> behavior is to allow each monitor to display a workspace independent of
> what the other monitors are displaying.
>
> XMonad.Layout.IndependentScreens allows you to change that behavior to
> match that of dwm's.
>
>  https://hackage.haskell.org/package/xmonad-contrib-0.12/docs/XMonad-Layout-IndependentScreens.html
>
> As for three copies of xmobar, I believe you just need three
> configuration files specifying where each bar should be displayed and
> then start three copies.
>
> --
> Peter Jones, Founder, Devalot.com
> Defending the honor of good code

Re: Multiple Screens

Dmitri Iouchtchenko
On 02/02/2016, Christian Solje <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I am also trying to have the xmobar to show on every screen that I got.

You could do this with X.H.DynamicBars
(http://xmonad.org/xmonad-docs/xmonad-contrib/XMonad-Hooks-DynamicBars.html).
I can't find any examples for how to use it, but you can refer to my
configuration (the relevant commit is
https://github.com/0/.../commit/1bc32215ae60edd961f0304bd6aea8fbe9a43658).
I'm not certain that I'm using it correctly, since my barDestroyer
doesn't "tear down previous instances" like the docs say it should,
but it still works fine for me. I suspect it's because xmobar exits
automatically when its handle is closed.

Dmitri

Re: Multiple Screens

Ben Boeckel
On Wed, 03 Feb, 2016 at 02:51:02 GMT, Dmitri Iouchtchenko wrote:

> On 02/02/2016, Christian Solje <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> I am also trying to have the xmobar to show on every screen that I got.
>
> You could do this with X.H.DynamicBars
> (http://xmonad.org/xmonad-docs/xmonad-contrib/XMonad-Hooks-DynamicBars.html).
> I can't find any examples for how to use it, but you can refer to my
> configuration (the relevant commit is
> https://github.com/0/.../commit/1bc32215ae60edd961f0304bd6aea8fbe9a43658).
> I'm not certain that I'm using it correctly, since my barDestroyer
> doesn't "tear down previous instances" like the docs say it should,

This is so that old instances of the bars don't stack up over time.

> but it still works fine for me. I suspect it's because xmobar exits
> automatically when its handle is closed.

Yeah, this is fine.

Here is how I do it (I authored DynamicBars):

    https://paste.fedoraproject.org/317789/54474221/

I also use 3 monitors at work, so the setup is:

  - xmonad talks to xmonadpropwrite which writes a property to the root
    window with the xmonad part of the bar (per monitor);
  - xmonad also starts and stops xmobar@.service instances in my systemd
    --user session (one service per monitor, specified like
    [hidden email] for monitor 0);
  - when xmonad restarts, xmobar doesn't notice (this was done because
    3 xmobar instances was flaky and all of them wouldn't always start,
    so I made them able to be started independently of xmonad); and
  - xmobar is started with the -C argument to give an extra command
    which indicates the property to read from the root window.

--Ben

Re: Multiple Screens

Christian Solje

Thank you Ben that was just what I need now I get how it works

On Wed, Feb 3, 2016, 5:44 AM Ben Boeckel <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Wed, 03 Feb, 2016 at 02:51:02 GMT, Dmitri Iouchtchenko wrote:
> On 02/02/2016, Christian Solje <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> I am also trying to have the xmobar to show on every screen that I got.
>
> You could do this with X.H.DynamicBars
> (http://xmonad.org/xmonad-docs/xmonad-contrib/XMonad-Hooks-DynamicBars.html).
> I can't find any examples for how to use it, but you can refer to my
> configuration (the relevant commit is
> https://github.com/0/.../commit/1bc32215ae60edd961f0304bd6aea8fbe9a43658).
> I'm not certain that I'm using it correctly, since my barDestroyer
> doesn't "tear down previous instances" like the docs say it should,

This is so that old instances of the bars don't stack up over time.

> but it still works fine for me. I suspect it's because xmobar exits
> automatically when its handle is closed.

Yeah, this is fine.

Here is how I do it (I authored DynamicBars):

    https://paste.fedoraproject.org/317789/54474221/

I also use 3 monitors at work, so the setup is:

  - xmonad talks to xmonadpropwrite which writes a property to the root
    window with the xmonad part of the bar (per monitor);
  - xmonad also starts and stops xmobar@.service instances in my systemd
    --user session (one service per monitor, specified like
    [hidden email] for monitor 0);
  - when xmonad restarts, xmobar doesn't notice (this was done because
    3 xmobar instances was flaky and all of them wouldn't always start,
    so I made them able to be started independently of xmonad); and
  - xmobar is started with the -C argument to give an extra command
    which indicates the property to read from the root window.

--Ben

Best regards

Christian Sølje
Email: [hidden email]