Name for Haskell based VPN Client/Server

Name for Haskell based VPN Client/Server

John Van Enk
Hello All,

I'm working on a Haskell based VPN. I can't think of any good names, so I'm crowd sourcing it.

A few details that may help in naming it:
1. It's distributed (doesn't need a "master" or "server").
2. It's secure (duh)
3. It uses TUN/TAP
4. It's written (mostly) in Haskell!

The best I can do is HaskVPN. This name is so bad I'm afraid to admit it. A better suggestion would be much appreciated.

--
/jve

Re: Name for Haskell based VPN Client/Server

Don Stewart-2
vanenkj:

>    Hello All,
>
>    I'm working on a Haskell based VPN. I can't think of any good names, so
>    I'm crowd sourcing it.
>
>    A few details that may help in naming it:
>    1. It's distributed (doesn't need a "master" or "server").
>    2. It's secure (duh)
>    3. It uses TUN/TAP
>    4. It's written (mostly) in Haskell!
>
>    The best I can do is HaskVPN. This name is so bad I'm afraid to admit it.
>    A better suggestion would be much appreciated.

Is the code around somewhere? This sounds intriguing.

-- Don

Re: Name for Haskell based VPN Client/Server

wman

>    The best I can do is HaskVPN. This name is so bad I'm afraid to admit it.
>    A better suggestion would be much appreciated.

How about HaPN (pronounced as happen), obviously standing for Haskell Private Network. Whether it's better is a matter of taste ;-)

Is the code around somewhere? This sounds intriguing.

-- Don

I second that ...

Re: Name for Haskell based VPN Client/Server

Jason Dagit-2

2008/10/6 John Van Enk <[hidden email]>
Hello All,

I'm working on a Haskell based VPN. I can't think of any good names, so I'm crowd sourcing it.

A few details that may help in naming it:
1. It's distributed (doesn't need a "master" or "server").
2. It's secure (duh)
3. It uses TUN/TAP
4. It's written (mostly) in Haskell!

The best I can do is HaskVPN. This name is so bad I'm afraid to admit it. A better suggestion would be much appreciated.

My advice so to find something cute, like an animal, and use that in the name instead of some implementation details like the programming language.

So you could be, WaterbearVPN, for example.  Okay, that was sort of a joke as waterbears aren't really that cute, but I think you get the idea.

Jason

Re: Name for Haskell based VPN Client/Server

Corey O'Connor
2008/10/6 wman <[hidden email]>:
> How about HaPN (pronounced as happen), obviously standing for Haskell
> Private Network. Whether it's better is a matter of taste ;-)

+1 for HaPN
Quite catchy IMO. :-)

--
-Corey O'Connor

On Mon, Oct 6, 2008 at 2:52 PM, Don Stewart <[hidden email]> wrote:

Is the code around somewhere? This sounds intriguing.

-- Don

Yes! Though this is the "Works For Me (alpha release)" version.

Keep in mind:
* It's not cabalized yet, so... we use my quick-and-dirty build scripts to build/clean.
* It's throughput runs at about 800KB/s over Wi-Fi (i should be able to get this faster).
* Depends on the Data.Binary (binary)
* Depends on Network.Socket.ByteString (network-bytestring)
* Requires that you have the tun module loaded (make sure the /dev/net/tun device exists)
* Needs to run as root (do you trust me?)
* UDP port is fixed at 24999 for now (remember, WFM alpha release)
* It uses a C file to do the ioctls and setup the IP address, MTU, etc... (any one able to see a way to remove the C file? It's not doing anything all that complex...)

Here's how to use it:

sudo ./haskvpn [my vpn ip] [address to bind to] [address to connect to]

Here's any example:

# On machine 1
sudo ./haskvpn 10.0.0.1 0.0.0.0 192.168.128.60

# On machine 2
sudo ./haskvpn 10.0.0.2 0.0.0.0 192.168.128.50

Once that comes up, you should be able to ping, ssh, etc from 10.0.0.1 to 10.0.0.2 and back again.

The code is here: http://sw17ch.com/code/haskvpn-1223320484.tar.gz

Once the code is downloaded, run ./build.sh and you (should) find the haskvpn binary in the same directory.

There are 338 lines of haskell/c (including comments/whitespace), so it shouldn't take too long to read over.

Reccomendations/patches/insults are requested!

--
/jve

Re: Name for Haskell based VPN Client/Server

Anton van Straaten
Jason Dagit wrote:

> 2008/10/6 John Van Enk <[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>>
>     The best I can do is HaskVPN. This name is so bad I'm afraid to
>     admit it. A better suggestion would be much appreciated.
>

> My advice so to find something cute, like an animal, and use that in the
> name instead of some implementation details like the programming language.

Or you could combine both cuteness and implementation details, with
"HaVPN", the mascot for which would be a lambdacat[*] saying:

   "I can HaVPN?"

Anton

[*] http://arcanux.org/lambdacats.html

Re: Name for Haskell based VPN Client/Server

John Van Enk
Ah, one more thing. It's not secure or distributed or any of the other things I said yet. It's going to be. :) The version I just posted is able to have two clients talk to each other (notice that neither of them is a server).

I'll get the encryption and other details hammered in later. :)

On Mon, Oct 6, 2008 at 3:18 PM, John Van Enk <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

As far as insults go, one simply cannot go wrong with THE Shakespearean insult kit ;-))

http://www.pangloss.com/seidel/shake_rule.html

[...]

Bulat Ziganshin-2
Hello John,

> I'm working on a Haskell based VPN. I can't think of any good names, so I'm crowd sourcing it.

octopus? (it was a good serial about italian mafia spreading its
palpi all over the country :)

Re: Name for Haskell based VPN Client/Server

ajb@spamcop.net
G'day all.

Quoting John Van Enk <[hidden email]>:

> I'm working on a Haskell based VPN. I can't think of any good names, so I'm
> crowd sourcing it.

     The naming of code is a difficult matter,
       It isn't just one of your LAN party games;
     You may think at first I'm as mad as a hatter
     When I tell you, your code must have THREE DIFFERENT NAMES.

     First of all, there's the name that you use in publicity
       Such as Functional Forms, Nanocurses and HaRT,
     Such as Proof General Kit, vector-space, and hinotify,
     That will roll off the tongue and look good on slashdot.

     But I tell you, your code needs a name that's evoking,
       A name that inhabits the package namespace.
     Such as Text.PrettyPrint.HughesPJ, Data.ByteString,
     That's easily typed when importing MixedCase.

     But above and beyond, there's the name that's unique,
       And that is a name that is carefully picked.
     The one that's so mangled it may well be Greek;
     When it sits in slash-bin, it must never conflict.

     It's the name that will cause most dissent with your peers,
       Far, far more than the task it is meant to perform.
     It should work with your fingers, though not with your ears,
     So de-vowel-ified acronym soup is the norm.

     When you see a developer miffed and distracted,
       Tearing hair out in chunks or pacing without aim,
     They are greatly afflicted by anger protracted,
     Because somebody, somewhere, did not like the name.
       The simple, recognizable,
       Unrealizable,
     Deep, unattainable, singular Name.

OK, having said that, I concur with those who have implicitly admitted
that there are too many H's in the names of Haskell programs.

I'd be tempted to pick a word starting with "lan" and put a "v" in front
of it.  My favourite VLANscape in particular.  It sounds professional,
and can be shortened to vlscape for the name of the executable.

Cheers,
Andrew Bromage

Re: Name for Haskell based VPN Client/Server

Brandon S Allbery KF8NH
On 2008 Oct 6, at 20:56, [hidden email] wrote:
> Quoting John Van Enk <[hidden email]>:
>> I'm working on a Haskell based VPN. I can't think of any good
>> names, so I'm
>> crowd sourcing it.
>
> (elided abuse of Old Possum)
> I'd be tempted to pick a word starting with "lan" and put a "v" in
> front
> of it.  My favourite VLANscape in particular.  It sounds professional,

I would advise against, as a VLAN is a very different beast from a VPN.

Re: Name for Haskell based VPN Client/Server

John Van Enk
Hmm...

I like Securry, but I'm going to go ahead and shorten it to Scurry.
I also like HaPN a lot.

Any suggestions why either of these would be better than the other? Perhaps a third party candidate would be more appropriate?

So...
1. Scurry
2. HaPN
3. ???

(bah, sorry Brandon, reply all, reply all reply all...)

On Mon, Oct 6, 2008 at 9:15 PM, Brandon S. Allbery KF8NH <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 2008 Oct 6, at 20:56, [hidden email] wrote:
Quoting John Van Enk <[hidden email]>:
I'm working on a Haskell based VPN. I can't think of any good names, so I'm
crowd sourcing it.

(elided abuse of Old Possum)

I'd be tempted to pick a word starting with "lan" and put a "v" in front
of it.  My favourite VLANscape in particular.  It sounds professional,

I would advise against, as a VLAN is a very different beast from a VPN.

/jve

Re: Name for Haskell based VPN Client/Server

Gwern Branwen
On 2008.10.06 21:19:17 -0400, John Van Enk <[hidden email]> scribbled 4.3K characters:

>    Hmm...
>
>    I like Securry, but I'm going to go ahead and shorten it to Scurry.
>    I also like HaPN a lot.
>
>    Any suggestions why either of these would be better than the other? Perhaps a third party
>    candidate would be more appropriate?
>
>    So...
>    1. Scurry
>    2. HaPN
>    3. ???
>
>    (bah, sorry Brandon, reply all, reply all reply all...)
Scurry has my vote. It is cute, it implies the software is busy and useful, it has the requisite subtle FP joke, and it doesn't seem to be already used.

--
gwern

Re: Name for Haskell based VPN Client/Server

John Van Enk
I've settled on scurry. Those of you interested in seeing the cabalized "Works For Me Alpha" version can check out the Google Code page below.

http://code.google.com/p/scurry/

Again, suggestions/comments/hatemail are encouraged.

/jve