Name for unary unboxed one-tuple

Haskell - Libraries mailing list

Dear Libraries Committee

Some time ago Andrew Martin asked you what the name of the unary unboxed one-tuple type and data constructor should be.  The thread ran for a while, but you never came to a conclusion.

Can we nail this one?   You’ll see on Trac #14673 that chessai wants me to decide 😊.  But it should really be you.

To me, there seems to be something of a consensus around Solo#.

Simon

PS: actually I think Andrew may have addressed libraries@ rather than core-libraries-committee@ by mistake.

Re: Name for unary unboxed one-tuple

Olivier S.
Hello,

I think it makes a bit more sense than "solo".

Olivier

Dear Libraries Committee

Some time ago Andrew Martin asked you what the name of the unary unboxed one-tuple type and data constructor should be.  The thread ran for a while, but you never came to a conclusion.

Can we nail this one?   You’ll see on Trac #14673 that chessai wants me to decide 😊.  But it should really be you.

To me, there seems to be something of a consensus around Solo#.

Simon

PS: actually I think Andrew may have addressed libraries@ rather than core-libraries-committee@ by mistake.

Re: Name for unary unboxed one-tuple

Andrew Martin
My vote is for Single/Single#.

Also, in case there is any confusion around this, I was not a member of the CLC when this issue was originally raised, but the committee has accepted me since then.

On Wed, Apr 25, 2018 at 4:28 AM, Simon Peyton Jones via Libraries <[hidden email]> wrote:

Dear Libraries Committee

Some time ago Andrew Martin asked you what the name of the unary unboxed one-tuple type and data constructor should be.  The thread ran for a while, but you never came to a conclusion.

Can we nail this one?   You’ll see on Trac #14673 that chessai wants me to decide 😊.  But it should really be you.

To me, there seems to be something of a consensus around Solo#.

Simon

PS: actually I think Andrew may have addressed libraries@ rather than core-libraries-committee@ by mistake.

-Andrew Thaddeus Martin

Re: [core libraries] Re: Name for unary unboxed one-tuple

Edward Kmett-2
Argh. Not another color for the bikeshed. We were so close to a nice universal consensus given your +1 on the thread. =)

Let's end this and just go with Simon's Solo# as it had already achieved a reasonably wide consensus on the thread and we can put this to bed.

Simon: I'd replied a couple of weeks ago on the trac ticket to try to end this, but apparently didn't visibly weigh in in a fashion that obviously carried the full force of the committee.

-Edward