Name of 1-Tuple Data Type

Andrew Martin
Required background information: https://ghc.haskell.org/trac/ghc/ticket/14673

GHC has a one-tuple (both a boxed variant and an unboxed variant). The unboxed variant currently must be fully applied whenever it is used. This is in stark contrast to all the other n-tuples (n > 1). It stems entirely from an issue of syntax. The solution decided on is to provide a normal prefix name for the 1-tuple. The name that GHC uses internally for this type is `Unit#` (there is also a boxed variant Unit). However, in the haskell community, the word "unit" already refers to the nullary tuple, not the unary tuple. So, we're bikeshedding the name.

Here are some possible options:

* Unary (as in unary tuple)
* Single (as in single, double, triple)
* Singleton (as is singleton, doubleton, tripleton)
* Uni (means "one" in latin or greek or something like that)
* Mono (means "one" in latin or greek or something like that)

I would appreciate any feedback on the suggestions I provided or any additional suggestions for the name. If you have concerns about the feature itself, comment on the GHC Trac ticket. I'd prefer to keep this thread focused on just the problem of coming up with a name.

--
-Andrew Thaddeus Martin

Re: Name of 1-Tuple Data Type

David Feuer
At present, Unit# is the only way to turn a lifted type into an unlifted one. Perhaps
Unlift# or Lower# would make sense? The tricky bit is that one could easily imagine eventually having a version with a strict constructor, in which case it becomes a bit hard to guess which is which.

On Wed, Jan 17, 2018 at 6:46 PM, Andrew Martin <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Required background information:
> https://ghc.haskell.org/trac/ghc/ticket/14673
>
> GHC has a one-tuple (both a boxed variant and an unboxed variant). The
> unboxed variant currently must be fully applied whenever it is used. This is
> in stark contrast to all the other n-tuples (n > 1). It stems entirely from
> an issue of syntax. The solution decided on is to provide a normal prefix
> name for the 1-tuple. The name that GHC uses internally for this type is
> `Unit#` (there is also a boxed variant Unit). However, in the haskell
> community, the word "unit" already refers to the nullary tuple, not the
> unary tuple. So, we're bikeshedding the name.
>
> Here are some possible options:
>
> * Unary (as in unary tuple)
> * Single (as in single, double, triple)
> * Singleton (as is singleton, doubleton, tripleton)
> * Only
> (https://hackage.haskell.org/package/Only-0.1/docs/Data-Tuple-Only.html)
> * OneTuple
> (https://hackage.haskell.org/package/OneTuple-0.2.1/docs/Data-Tuple-OneTuple.html)
> * Uni (means "one" in latin or greek or something like that)
> * Mono (means "one" in latin or greek or something like that)
>
> I would appreciate any feedback on the suggestions I provided or any
> additional suggestions for the name. If you have concerns about the feature
> itself, comment on the GHC Trac ticket. I'd prefer to keep this thread
> focused on just the problem of coming up with a name.
>
> --
> -Andrew Thaddeus Martin

Re: Name of 1-Tuple Data Type

M Farkas-Dyck-2
Identity#

Re: Name of 1-Tuple Data Type

Ryan Reich
Only has two virtues I can see easily: it's short (shorter than almost all the others), and it has the same feel as Maybe.

There is also Id, the name of the mathematical function that this type (and corresponding data) constructor is. Less pithy but even less intrusive.

On Jan 17, 2018 15:47, "Andrew Martin" <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Theodore Lief Gannon
I've seen Only in the wild, and it's probably my favorite of the initial suggestions for the same reasons as Ryan. Mono is my second pick from that list.

Id is very clean, but I could see pedagogical issues arising from name confusion. Sing(le(ton)) is a terrible idea for the same reason.

Venturing my own paint swatch: Solo fits in nicely with the established size-specific names (pair, triple, etc.) and has all the good traits: short, self-explanatory, nothing with a confusingly similar name (that I know of).

On Jan 17, 2018 4:35 PM, "Ryan Reich" <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Haskell - Libraries mailing list

Just to add: it would be sensible to use the same name for the data constructor as for the type constructor.  Thus, currently

            (,) ‘x’ True  ::  (,) Char Bool

So we’d expect

            Solo ‘x’  ::  Solo Char

or whatever name we choose.  Just worth bearing in mind when evaluating suggestions.

Simon

RE: Name of 1-Tuple Data Type

Haskell - Libraries mailing list

At present, Unit# is the only way to turn a lifted type into an unlifted one

Actually, (# Int, Bool #) does so too. Unboxed one-tuples (currnently called Unit#) is the special case with one argument.

Simon

At present, Unit# is the only way to turn a lifted type into an unlifted one. Perhaps
Unlift# or Lower# would make sense? The tricky bit is that one could easily imagine eventually having a version with a strict constructor, in which case it becomes a bit hard to guess which is which.

On Wed, Jan 17, 2018 at 6:46 PM, Andrew Martin <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Required background information:
> https://ghc.haskell.org/trac/ghc/ticket/14673
>
> GHC has a one-tuple (both a boxed variant and an unboxed variant). The
> unboxed variant currently must be fully applied whenever it is used. This is
> in stark contrast to all the other n-tuples (n > 1). It stems entirely from
> an issue of syntax. The solution decided on is to provide a normal prefix
> name for the 1-tuple. The name that GHC uses internally for this type is
> `Unit#` (there is also a boxed variant Unit). However, in the haskell
> community, the word "unit" already refers to the nullary tuple, not the
> unary tuple. So, we're bikeshedding the name.
>
> Here are some possible options:
>
> * Unary (as in unary tuple)
> * Single (as in single, double, triple)
> * Singleton (as is singleton, doubleton, tripleton)
> * Only
> (https://hackage.haskell.org/package/Only-0.1/docs/Data-Tuple-Only.html)
> * OneTuple
> (https://hackage.haskell.org/package/OneTuple-0.2.1/docs/Data-Tuple-OneTuple.html)
> * Uni (means "one" in latin or greek or something like that)
> * Mono (means "one" in latin or greek or something like that)
>
> I would appreciate any feedback on the suggestions I provided or any
> additional suggestions for the name. If you have concerns about the feature
> itself, comment on the GHC Trac ticket. I'd prefer to keep this thread
> focused on just the problem of coming up with a name.
>
> --
> -Andrew Thaddeus Martin

RE: Name of 1-Tuple Data Type

Haskell - Libraries mailing list

I quite like Solo.

Simon

Re: Name of 1-Tuple Data Type

Andreas Abel-2
-1.

Don't grap any of these nice names for that obscure feature.  Take some
ugly name.

On 18.01.2018 00:46, Andrew Martin wrote:

> Required background information:
> https://ghc.haskell.org/trac/ghc/ticket/14673
>
> GHC has a one-tuple (both a boxed variant and an unboxed variant). The
> unboxed variant currently must be fully applied whenever it is used.
> This is in stark contrast to all the other n-tuples (n > 1). It stems
> entirely from an issue of syntax. The solution decided on is to provide
> a normal prefix name for the 1-tuple. The name that GHC uses internally
> for this type is `Unit#` (there is also a boxed variant Unit). However,
> in the haskell community, the word "unit" already refers to the nullary
> tuple, not the unary tuple. So, we're bikeshedding the name.
>
> Here are some possible options:
>
> * Unary (as in unary tuple)
> * Single (as in single, double, triple)
> * Singleton (as is singleton, doubleton, tripleton)
> * Only
> (https://hackage.haskell.org/package/Only-0.1/docs/Data-Tuple-Only.html)
> * OneTuple
> (https://hackage.haskell.org/package/OneTuple-0.2.1/docs/Data-Tuple-OneTuple.html)
> * Uni (means "one" in latin or greek or something like that)
> * Mono (means "one" in latin or greek or something like that)
>
> I would appreciate any feedback on the suggestions I provided or any
> additional suggestions for the name. If you have concerns about the
> feature itself, comment on the GHC Trac ticket. I'd prefer to keep this
> thread focused on just the problem of coming up with a name.

http://www.cse.chalmers.se/~abela/

Re: Name of 1-Tuple Data Type

Andreas Abel-2
I deem this feature outside of the mainstream, so it should not occupy a
short nice name.

I suggest  UnaryTuple.

On 18.01.2018 09:22, Simon Peyton Jones via Libraries wrote:

> I quite like Solo.
>
> Simon

I imagine whatever name is chosen will have a # at the end.

On Thu, Jan 18, 2018 at 3:25 AM, Andreas Abel <[hidden email]> wrote:

> -1.
>
> Don't grap any of these nice names for that obscure feature.  Take some ugly
> name.
>
> On 18.01.2018 00:46, Andrew Martin wrote:
>>
>> Required background information:
>> https://ghc.haskell.org/trac/ghc/ticket/14673
>>
>> GHC has a one-tuple (both a boxed variant and an unboxed variant). The
>> unboxed variant currently must be fully applied whenever it is used. This is
>> in stark contrast to all the other n-tuples (n > 1). It stems entirely from
>> an issue of syntax. The solution decided on is to provide a normal prefix
>> name for the 1-tuple. The name that GHC uses internally for this type is
>> `Unit#` (there is also a boxed variant Unit). However, in the haskell
>> community, the word "unit" already refers to the nullary tuple, not the
>> unary tuple. So, we're bikeshedding the name.
>>
>> Here are some possible options:
>>
>> * Unary (as in unary tuple)
>> * Single (as in single, double, triple)
>> * Singleton (as is singleton, doubleton, tripleton)
>> * Only
>> (https://hackage.haskell.org/package/Only-0.1/docs/Data-Tuple-Only.html)
>> * OneTuple
>> (https://hackage.haskell.org/package/OneTuple-0.2.1/docs/Data-Tuple-OneTuple.html)
>> * Uni (means "one" in latin or greek or something like that)
>> * Mono (means "one" in latin or greek or something like that)
>>
>> I would appreciate any feedback on the suggestions I provided or any
>> additional suggestions for the name. If you have concerns about the feature
>> itself, comment on the GHC Trac ticket. I'd prefer to keep this thread
>> focused on just the problem of coming up with a name.
>

> --
> Andreas Abel  <><      Du bist der geliebte Mensch.

> Chalmers and Gothenburg University, Sweden
>
> [hidden email]
> http://www.cse.chalmers.se/~abela/

Re: Name of 1-Tuple Data Type

Henning Thielemann

On Thu, 18 Jan 2018, David Feuer wrote:

> I imagine whatever name is chosen will have a # at the end.

... and you can disambiguate using qualification.

Re: Name of 1-Tuple Data Type

Oleg Grenrus
Are we talking about the following:

    {-# LANGUAGE MagicHash, KindSignatures #-}

    import GHC.Exts

    data Unit# (a :: TYPE 'UnliftedRep) = Unit# a

    -- | Also known as:
https://hackage.haskell.org/package/vector-0.12.0.1/docs/Data-Vector-Fusion-Util.html#t:Box
    --
https://hackage.haskell.org/package/OneTuple-0.2.1/docs/Data-Tuple-OneTuple.html#t:OneTuple
    data Unit  (a :: TYPE 'LiftedRep)   = Unit a

    -- | Also known as
https://hackage.haskell.org/package/vector-0.12.0.1/docs/Data-Vector-Fusion-Util.html#t:Id
    --
https://hackage.haskell.org/package/Only-0.1/docs/Data-Tuple-Only.html
    --
https://hackage.haskell.org/package/generics-sop-0.3.2.0/docs/Generics-SOP-BasicFunctors.html#t:I
    newtype Identity a = Identity a

--

Some libraries (cassava, postgresql-simple - today they use different
`Only`!)

I haven't needed a `Box` around lifted type, except when putting things
into strict containers. That name weren't proposed, but I don't feel
strongly for or against. Yet, I think `Box#` and `Box` have nice
intuition in them.

- Oleg

On 18.01.2018 10:27, Andreas Abel wrote:

> I deem this feature outside of the mainstream, so it should not occupy
> a short nice name.
>
> I suggest  UnaryTuple.
>
> On 18.01.2018 09:22, Simon Peyton Jones via Libraries wrote:
>> I quite like Solo.
>>
>> Simon

Ivan Lazar Miljenovic
On 18 January 2018 at 19:25, Andreas Abel <[hidden email]> wrote:
> -1.
>
> Don't grap any of these nice names for that obscure feature.  Take some ugly
> name.

It seems like an obscure feature, but something similar has been
re-implemented by a suprising number of libraries (vector,
postgresql-simple, cassava, etc.).  Typically when you want to
differentiate a raw value from a (possible singular) collection of
values (e.g. field vs row).

http://IvanMiljenovic.wordpress.com

Re: Name of 1-Tuple Data Type

Andrew Martin
The problem with using Identity and Identity# is that there's already something in base named Identity, and since it's a newtype (not a data type), it has the wrong semantics concerning laziness for this kind of thing.

On Wed, Jan 17, 2018 at 7:27 PM, M Farkas-Dyck <[hidden email]> wrote:
Identity#

--
-Andrew Thaddeus Martin

Re: Name of 1-Tuple Data Type

Carter Schonwald
Unit# seems fine to me, its not gonna be in prelude, its a short name,

i dislike Only because i've only really seen it come up in in DB libraries :)

On Thu, Jan 18, 2018 at 1:36 PM, Andrew Martin <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Kris Nuttycombe
Identity# is my favorite of all those I've seen suggested thus far.

On Wed, Jan 17, 2018 at 5:27 PM, M Farkas-Dyck <[hidden email]> wrote:
Identity#

Re: Name of 1-Tuple Data Type

Andreas Abel-2
 >> I imagine whatever name is chosen will have a # at the end.

Then there is no concern.