New logo/mascot for servant!

Nickolay Kudasov
Hello everyone,

According to Julian the servant robot has been pulled from creative common almost randomly. While we've all grown used to this little awkward tin haskeller, I believe it's time we decide on a new logo and/or mascot for servant.

Right now I have an artist at my disposal and she agreed to draw something for servant! As she's not a computer scientist, she needs some hints of what we're expecting from a logo/mascot.

So far I have told her to start from the word "servant" and haskell logo.

But any ideas are welcome at this point!

Kind regards,
Nick

Re: New logo/mascot for servant!

Julian Arni-2
Thanks for brining this up and organizing it!

I'm very much in favour of a new logo/mascot. I think if it's a mascot, since it'd likely represent a servant, it makes sense for it to (continue to) be a robot. But I think a logo is more important than a mascot. Aside from maybe a stylized hand holding a platter, I unfortunately don't have any ideas to contribute!

On Wed, Jan 13, 2016 at 5:05 PM, Nickolay Kudasov <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hello everyone,

According to Julian the servant robot has been pulled from creative common almost randomly. While we've all grown used to this little awkward tin haskeller, I believe it's time we decide on a new logo and/or mascot for servant.

Right now I have an artist at my disposal and she agreed to draw something for servant! As she's not a computer scientist, she needs some hints of what we're expecting from a logo/mascot.

So far I have told her to start from the word "servant" and haskell logo.

But any ideas are welcome at this point!

Kind regards,
Nick

Re: New logo/mascot for servant!

Sönke Hahn
I think it might be good to provide the designer with the two main operators ((:>) and (:<|>)) and see whether she can make use of them somehow.

Yeah, and thanks for organizing this.

Cheers,
Sönke

On Wed, Jan 13, 2016 at 5:23 PM, Julian Arni <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Michael DeFreitas
+1. Just thinking about that for a few minutes, I couldn't help but notice that the (:>) operator is basically a rotated "v," corresponding with the mid-word "v" in "servant."

For me, the standout coolness of servant is the intuitive API declaration language. That, and the universe of already-available or easily-implementable interpretations that follow from such a declaration.

I'm not sure how that translates to specific logo recommendations, though. :)

Best of luck to the designer!

-mike

On Wed, Jan 13, 2016 at 5:23 PM, Julian Arni <<a href="javascript:" target="_blank" gdf-obfuscated-mailto="amzrTBbGDgAJ" rel="nofollow" onmousedown="this.href=&#39;javascript:&#39;;return true;" onclick="this.href=&#39;javascript:&#39;;return true;">jka...@...> wrote:

On Wed, Jan 13, 2016 at 5:05 PM, Nickolay Kudasov <<a href="javascript:" target="_blank" gdf-obfuscated-mailto="amzrTBbGDgAJ" rel="nofollow" onmousedown="this.href=&#39;javascript:&#39;;return true;" onclick="this.href=&#39;javascript:&#39;;return true;">nickolay...@...> wrote:

On Wed, Jan 13, 2016 at 10:44 PM, Michael DeFreitas <[hidden email]> wrote:
+1. Just thinking about that for a few minutes, I couldn't help but notice that the (:>) operator is basically a rotated "v," corresponding with the mid-word "v" in "servant."

serv̈ant :)

Re: New logo/mascot for servant!

Yann Esposito
Something like that?

http://i.imgur.com/onnUrrD.png

On Wednesday, January 13, 2016 at 11:04:27 PM UTC+1, Sönke Hahn wrote:
On Wed, Jan 13, 2016 at 10:44 PM, Michael DeFreitas <<a href="javascript:" target="_blank" gdf-obfuscated-mailto="u-qXyHLVDgAJ" rel="nofollow" onmousedown="this.href=&#39;javascript:&#39;;return true;" onclick="this.href=&#39;javascript:&#39;;return true;">mike...@...> wrote:
+1. Just thinking about that for a few minutes, I couldn't help but notice that the (:>) operator is basically a rotated "v," corresponding with the mid-word "v" in "servant."

serv̈ant :)

Re: New logo/mascot for servant!

Nickolay Kudasov
Here's some work in progress!
Comments/suggestions are welcome!

Kind regards,
Nick

On Fri, 15 Jan 2016 at 13:56 Julian Arni <[hidden email]> wrote:
Ha, seems like the right idea :)

On Fri, Jan 15, 2016 at 10:30 AM, Yann Esposito <[hidden email]> wrote:
Something like that?

http://i.imgur.com/onnUrrD.png

On Wednesday, January 13, 2016 at 11:04:27 PM UTC+1, Sönke Hahn wrote:
On Wed, Jan 13, 2016 at 10:44 PM, Michael DeFreitas <[hidden email]> wrote:
+1. Just thinking about that for a few minutes, I couldn't help but notice that the (:>) operator is basically a rotated "v," corresponding with the mid-word "v" in "servant."

serv̈ant :)

sc4bVFgLIcU.jpg (43K) Download Attachment
qWzz0X293Ew.jpg (8K) Download Attachment
m79CDLkaUsI.jpg (10K) Download Attachment
C1ifcW_4qD0.jpg (12K) Download Attachment

Re: New logo/mascot for servant!

Sönke Hahn
Hi,

I really like the version of the ':>' operator in the second draft that borrows the '>' from the haskell logo. I think that's a great idea.

I wouldn't use it as a replacement for the 'v' in the word 'servant' though. I'd be afraid that people who don't already know that it's called 'servant' just wouldn't be able to read it.

What about having the operator just in front (or behind?) the word 'servant'?

Again, thanks for working on this,
Sönke

Re: New logo/mascot for servant!

Julian Arni-2
I like v with diaeresis, though I agree :> is hard to comprehend.
I also really like the bow-tie idea!

On Fri, Jan 15, 2016 at 1:35 PM, Sönke Hahn <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi,

I really like the version of the ':>' operator in the second draft that borrows the '>' from the haskell logo. I think that's a great idea.

I wouldn't use it as a replacement for the 'v' in the word 'servant' though. I'd be afraid that people who don't already know that it's called 'servant' just wouldn't be able to read it.

What about having the operator just in front (or behind?) the word 'servant'?

Again, thanks for working on this,
Sönke

Re: New logo/mascot for servant!

Nickolay Kudasov
Hi all!

Things got delayed for a while, but we're back with a new suggestion!

I think you might notice a similarity with another logo. A logo of someone who serves their city...

Nick

v1RTTYbSjqU.jpg (13K) Download Attachment
T5fZdpRXrvY.jpg (16K) Download Attachment