New release

Carsten Mattner-2
Isn't it time for a new release? Been using xmonad from darcs without issues
for a long time.

New release

Peter Jones
Carsten Mattner <carstenmattner at gmail.com>
writes:
> Isn't it time for a new release? Been using xmonad from darcs without issues
> for a long time.

+1.

Also, xmonad-extras needs an update to support recent versions of libmpd.

--
Peter Jones, Founder, Devalot.com
Defending the honor of good code

New release

Carsten Mattner-2
On Tue, Dec 2, 2014 at 9:17 PM, Peter Jones <mlists at pmade.com> wrote:
> Carsten Mattner <carstenmattner at gmail.com>
> writes:
>> Isn't it time for a new release? Been using xmonad from darcs without issues
>> for a long time.
>
> +1.
>
> Also, xmonad-extras needs an update to support recent versions of libmpd.

Can we cut a release?

New release

Adam Vogt
Certainly. The hard deadline is the ghc-7.10 release which can't compile
what's currently on hackage. The end of the week seems realistic to check:

Release notes

Broken links in contrib haddocks

That we are compatible with ghc s back to 6.12 or so

Regards,
Adam
On Mar 2, 2015 12:30 PM, "Carsten Mattner" <carstenmattner at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Dec 2, 2014 at 9:17 PM, Peter Jones <mlists at pmade.com> wrote:
> > Carsten Mattner <carstenmattner at gmail.com>
> > writes:
> >> Isn't it time for a new release? Been using xmonad from darcs without
> issues
> >> for a long time.
> >
> > +1.
> >
> > Also, xmonad-extras needs an update to support recent versions of libmpd.
>
> Can we cut a release?

An HTML attachment was scrubbed...

New release

Carsten Mattner-2
7.10 works for me with Darcs HEAD.

On Mon, Mar 2, 2015 at 7:08 PM, adam vogt <vogt.adam at gmail.com> wrote:

> Certainly. The hard deadline is the ghc-7.10 release which can't compile
> what's currently on hackage. The end of the week seems realistic to check:
>
> Release notes
>
> Broken links in contrib haddocks
>
> That we are compatible with ghc s back to 6.12 or so
>
> Regards,
> Adam
>
> On Mar 2, 2015 12:30 PM, "Carsten Mattner" <carstenmattner at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> On Tue, Dec 2, 2014 at 9:17 PM, Peter Jones <mlists at pmade.com> wrote:
>> > Carsten Mattner <carstenmattner at gmail.com>
>> >
>> > +1.
>> >
>> > Also, xmonad-extras needs an update to support recent versions of
>> > libmpd.
>>
>> Can we cut a release?

New release

Carsten Mattner-2
Some friendly suggestions:

I'd very much like to see a release happen this month and start
to get into a habit of at least a couple release a year. Infrequent releases
may contribute to the perception of Darcs being the reason for
project stalls.

Someone with good writing skills might also want to communicate
the nice Xmonad Prompt modules as advanced replacements for
dmenu and one less external dependency and Xmonad-only
feature like other window managers that don't require dmenu.
Just a thought.

On Tue, Mar 3, 2015 at 4:43 PM, Carsten Mattner
<carstenmattner at gmail.com> wrote:

> 7.10 works for me with Darcs HEAD.
>
> On Mon, Mar 2, 2015 at 7:08 PM, adam vogt <vogt.adam at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Certainly. The hard deadline is the ghc-7.10 release which can't compile
>> what's currently on hackage. The end of the week seems realistic to check:
>>
>> Release notes
>>
>> Broken links in contrib haddocks
>>
>> That we are compatible with ghc s back to 6.12 or so
>>
>> Regards,
>> Adam

>>> Can we cut a release?

New release

Carsten Mattner-2
On Wed, Mar 11, 2015 at 1:11 PM, Carsten Mattner
<carstenmattner at gmail.com> wrote:

> Some friendly suggestions:
>
> I'd very much like to see a release happen this month and start
> to get into a habit of at least a couple release a year. Infrequent releases
> may contribute to the perception of Darcs being the reason for
> project stalls.
>
> Someone with good writing skills might also want to communicate
> the nice Xmonad Prompt modules as advanced replacements for
> dmenu and one less external dependency and Xmonad-only
> feature like other window managers that don't require dmenu.
> Just a thought.

GHC 7.10 is out and Darcs HEAD works. Time for release?
Communicating the Xmonad Prompt modules is icing on the
cake best done by someone with good writing skills but not
blocker for the release.

> On Tue, Mar 3, 2015 at 4:43 PM, Carsten Mattner
> <carstenmattner at gmail.com> wrote:
>> 7.10 works for me with Darcs HEAD.
>>
>> On Mon, Mar 2, 2015 at 7:08 PM, adam vogt <vogt.adam at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Certainly. The hard deadline is the ghc-7.10 release which can't compile
>>> what's currently on hackage. The end of the week seems realistic to check:
>>>
>>> Release notes
>>>
>>> Broken links in contrib haddocks
>>>
>>> That we are compatible with ghc s back to 6.12 or so
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>> Adam

New release

Carsten Mattner-2
On Sun, Mar 29, 2015 at 1:59 PM, Carsten Mattner
<carstenmattner at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Mar 11, 2015 at 1:11 PM, Carsten Mattner
> <carstenmattner at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Some friendly suggestions:
>>
>> I'd very much like to see a release happen this month and start
>> to get into a habit of at least a couple release a year. Infrequent releases
>> may contribute to the perception of Darcs being the reason for
>> project stalls.
>>
>> Someone with good writing skills might also want to communicate
>> the nice Xmonad Prompt modules as advanced replacements for
>> dmenu and one less external dependency and Xmonad-only
>> feature like other window managers that don't require dmenu.
>> Just a thought.
>
> GHC 7.10 is out and Darcs HEAD works. Time for release?
> Communicating the Xmonad Prompt modules is icing on the
> cake best done by someone with good writing skills but not
> blocker for the release.

Don't want to be that guy but what's blocking the release?

>> On Tue, Mar 3, 2015 at 4:43 PM, Carsten Mattner
>> <carstenmattner at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> 7.10 works for me with Darcs HEAD.

Re: New release

Carsten Mattner-2
bump

On Sat, Apr 11, 2015 at 12:09 PM, Carsten Mattner
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Sun, Mar 29, 2015 at 1:59 PM, Carsten Mattner
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> On Wed, Mar 11, 2015 at 1:11 PM, Carsten Mattner
>> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> Some friendly suggestions:
>>>
>>> I'd very much like to see a release happen this month and start
>>> to get into a habit of at least a couple release a year. Infrequent releases
>>> may contribute to the perception of Darcs being the reason for
>>> project stalls.
>>>
>>> Someone with good writing skills might also want to communicate
>>> the nice Xmonad Prompt modules as advanced replacements for
>>> dmenu and one less external dependency and Xmonad-only
>>> feature like other window managers that don't require dmenu.
>>> Just a thought.
>>
>> GHC 7.10 is out and Darcs HEAD works. Time for release?
>> Communicating the Xmonad Prompt modules is icing on the
>> cake best done by someone with good writing skills but not
>> blocker for the release.
>
> Don't want to be that guy but what's blocking the release?

Re: New release

Carlos López Camey

Hi Carsten,

Fwiw, xmonad-contrib 0.11.4 (hackage version) doesnt compile with ghc 7.6.3 (ubuntu version). I would like to work on a patch for a possible 0.11.5.. is this something we'd want?

<[hidden email]> wrote:
> On Sun, Mar 29, 2015 at 1:59 PM, Carsten Mattner
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> On Wed, Mar 11, 2015 at 1:11 PM, Carsten Mattner
>> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> Some friendly suggestions:
>>>
>>> I'd very much like to see a release happen this month and start
>>> to get into a habit of at least a couple release a year. Infrequent releases
>>> may contribute to the perception of Darcs being the reason for
>>> project stalls.
>>>
>>> Someone with good writing skills might also want to communicate
>>> the nice Xmonad Prompt modules as advanced replacements for
>>> dmenu and one less external dependency and Xmonad-only
>>> feature like other window managers that don't require dmenu.
>>> Just a thought.
>>
>> GHC 7.10 is out and Darcs HEAD works. Time for release?
>> Communicating the Xmonad Prompt modules is icing on the
>> cake best done by someone with good writing skills but not
>> blocker for the release.
>
> Don't want to be that guy but what's blocking the release?

Re: New release

Brandon Allbery
On Sun, May 3, 2015 at 4:09 PM, Carlos López-Camey <[hidden email]> wrote:

Fwiw, xmonad-contrib 0.11.4 (hackage version) doesnt compile with ghc 7.6.3 (ubuntu version). I would like to work on a patch for a possible 0.11.5.. is this something we'd want?

I think it should either be fixed or get a constraint on "base" so that it won't try to build on versions before 7.10.1. Preferably the former.

Re: New release

Carlos López Camey
The fix turned easy. I am attaching a tarball created with `cabal sdist`

The process: I couldn't find any darcs tags greater than 0.11 in the repository, so I downloaded the xmonad-contrib-0.11.4 tarball from haddock and changed it until compiled. Here is the darcs-whatsnew

hunk ./XMonad/Hooks/DebugEvents.hs 34
+import           Control.Applicative
hunk ./XMonad/Util/Invisible.hs 25
+import Control.Applicative
hunk ./xmonad-contrib.cabal 37
-tested-with:        GHC == 7.8.2, GHC==7.6.2, GHC==7.4.1, GHC==7.2.1, GHC==7.0.4
+tested-with:        GHC == 7.8.2, GHC==7.6.3, GHC==7.4.1, GHC==7.2.1, GHC==7.0.4

I didn't bump to 0.11.5, because I think we want to repair this report: https://hackage.haskell.org/package/xmonad-contrib-0.11.4/reports/1. -- Cheers

xmonad-contrib-0.11.4.tar.gz (538K) Download Attachment

On Mon, May 4, 2015 at 7:22 PM, Brent Yorgey <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Note that these changes have already been applied in the most recent darcs
> version.

What's the release holdup?

I'm not good at writing blog post but like I suggested before the release
announcement could be enhanced by including at least examples for
replacing dmenu with XMonad.Prompt.Shell and maybe the password
manager prompt. It's been in contrib a long time but seems largely
unknown. Someone with nice writing skills could write a short blurb.

> -Brent
>
> On Sun, May 3, 2015 at 3:40 PM Carlos López-Camey <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> The fix turned easy. I am attaching a tarball created with `cabal sdist`
>>
>> The process: I couldn't find any darcs tags greater than 0.11 in the
>> repository, so I downloaded the xmonad-contrib-0.11.4 tarball from haddock
>> and changed it until compiled. Here is the darcs-whatsnew
>>
>> hunk ./XMonad/Hooks/DebugEvents.hs 34
>> +import           Control.Applicative
>> hunk ./XMonad/Util/Invisible.hs 25
>> +import Control.Applicative
>> hunk ./xmonad-contrib.cabal 37
>> -tested-with:        GHC == 7.8.2, GHC==7.6.2, GHC==7.4.1, GHC==7.2.1,
>> GHC==7.0.4
>> +tested-with:        GHC == 7.8.2, GHC==7.6.3, GHC==7.4.1, GHC==7.2.1,
>> GHC==7.0.4
>>
>> I didn't bump to 0.11.5, because I think we want to repair this report:
>> https://hackage.haskell.org/package/xmonad-contrib-0.11.4/reports/1. --
>> Cheers

>>> I think it should either be fixed or get a constraint on "base" so that
>>> it won't try to build on versions before 7.10.1. Preferably the former.
>>>
>>> --
>>> brandon s allbery kf8nh                               sine nomine
>>> associates
>>> [hidden email]
>>> [hidden email]
>>> unix, openafs, kerberos, infrastructure, xmonad
>>> http://sinenomine.net

Re: New release

ardumont
For the XMonad.Prompt.Pass, this article could help getting started http://babushk.in/posts/combining-xmonad-and-pass.html.

This is the article that motivated me to create the patch.

Cheers,

tony / @ardumont

On Tue, May 5, 2015 at 1:16 PM, Carsten Mattner <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Mon, May 4, 2015 at 7:22 PM, Brent Yorgey <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Note that these changes have already been applied in the most recent darcs
> version.

What's the release holdup?

I'm not good at writing blog post but like I suggested before the release
announcement could be enhanced by including at least examples for
replacing dmenu with XMonad.Prompt.Shell and maybe the password
manager prompt. It's been in contrib a long time but seems largely
unknown. Someone with nice writing skills could write a short blurb.

> -Brent
>
> On Sun, May 3, 2015 at 3:40 PM Carlos López-Camey <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> The fix turned easy. I am attaching a tarball created with `cabal sdist`
>>
>> The process: I couldn't find any darcs tags greater than 0.11 in the
>> repository, so I downloaded the xmonad-contrib-0.11.4 tarball from haddock
>> and changed it until compiled. Here is the darcs-whatsnew
>>
>> hunk ./XMonad/Hooks/DebugEvents.hs 34
>> +import           Control.Applicative
>> hunk ./XMonad/Util/Invisible.hs 25
>> +import Control.Applicative
>> hunk ./xmonad-contrib.cabal 37
>> -tested-with:        GHC == 7.8.2, GHC==7.6.2, GHC==7.4.1, GHC==7.2.1,
>> GHC==7.0.4
>> +tested-with:        GHC == 7.8.2, GHC==7.6.3, GHC==7.4.1, GHC==7.2.1,
>> GHC==7.0.4
>>
>> I didn't bump to 0.11.5, because I think we want to repair this report:
>> https://hackage.haskell.org/package/xmonad-contrib-0.11.4/reports/1. --
>> Cheers

>>> I think it should either be fixed or get a constraint on "base" so that
>>> it won't try to build on versions before 7.10.1. Preferably the former.
>>>
>>> --
>>> brandon s allbery kf8nh                               sine nomine
>>> associates
>>> [hidden email]
>>> [hidden email]
>>> unix, openafs, kerberos, infrastructure, xmonad
>>> http://sinenomine.net

Re: New release

Carsten Mattner-2
On Tue, May 19, 2015 at 4:29 PM, eniotna <[hidden email]> wrote:
> For the XMonad.Prompt.Pass, this article could help getting started
> http://babushk.in/posts/combining-xmonad-and-pass.html.
>
> This is the article that motivated me to create the patch.

Looks good. Combined with a a simple dmenu_run replacement config
this will be great for the release announcement.