New release to go with 7.10.2

Tuncer Ayaz
Are there any blockers that would prevent cutting a release of current
Darcs HEAD to go with the soon to be released GHC 7.10.2?

It seems many users install from Darcs anyway, so it appears
reasonable to me.

Re: New release to go with 7.10.2

Brandon Allbery
On Wed, Jun 24, 2015 at 5:20 AM, Tuncer Ayaz <[hidden email]> wrote:
Are there any blockers that would prevent cutting a release of current
Darcs HEAD to go with the soon to be released GHC 7.10.2?

+1

On Wed, Jun 24, 2015 at 2:50 PM, Brandon Allbery <[hidden email]> wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 24, 2015 at 5:20 AM, Tuncer Ayaz <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Are there any blockers that would prevent cutting a release of current
>> Darcs HEAD to go with the soon to be released GHC 7.10.2?
>

> +1

Bump?

Re: New release to go with 7.10.2

Brent Yorgey
I'm willing to help, but not sure what the release process is/has been recently.  Is there anything that needs to happen other than just uploading to Hackage (and perhaps bumping some version numbers)?

Relatedly, we should probably enable travis-ci builds for xmonad and xmonad-contrib.  I can probably get that set up soon.

-Brent

On Thu, Oct 29, 2015 at 5:13 PM Tuncer Ayaz <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Wed, Jun 24, 2015 at 2:50 PM, Brandon Allbery <[hidden email]> wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 24, 2015 at 5:20 AM, Tuncer Ayaz <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Are there any blockers that would prevent cutting a release of current
>> Darcs HEAD to go with the soon to be released GHC 7.10.2?
>

> +1

Bump?

Re: New release to go with 7.10.2

Brent Yorgey
OK, travis-ci builds are now set up and the first builds are running, though there will probably need to be some tweaks before it works well.

On Fri, Nov 6, 2015 at 2:38 PM Brent Yorgey <[hidden email]> wrote:
I'm willing to help, but not sure what the release process is/has been recently.  Is there anything that needs to happen other than just uploading to Hackage (and perhaps bumping some version numbers)?

Relatedly, we should probably enable travis-ci builds for xmonad and xmonad-contrib.  I can probably get that set up soon.

-Brent

On Thu, Oct 29, 2015 at 5:13 PM Tuncer Ayaz <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Wed, Jun 24, 2015 at 2:50 PM, Brandon Allbery <[hidden email]> wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 24, 2015 at 5:20 AM, Tuncer Ayaz <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Are there any blockers that would prevent cutting a release of current
>> Darcs HEAD to go with the soon to be released GHC 7.10.2?
>

> +1

Bump?

Re: New release to go with 7.10.2

Adam Vogt

Hi Brent,

It hasn't changed much. https://github.com/xmonad/xmonad/blob/master/TODO#L9 is one somewhat outdated list. I would also check it compiled with a range of ghcs and put that in the tested-with field in the cabal files. There's a script to update the haddocks in the xmonad-web too.

Regards,
Adam

I'm willing to help, but not sure what the release process is/has been recently.  Is there anything that needs to happen other than just uploading to Hackage (and perhaps bumping some version numbers)?

Relatedly, we should probably enable travis-ci builds for xmonad and xmonad-contrib.  I can probably get that set up soon.

-Brent

On Thu, Oct 29, 2015 at 5:13 PM Tuncer Ayaz <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Wed, Jun 24, 2015 at 2:50 PM, Brandon Allbery <[hidden email]> wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 24, 2015 at 5:20 AM, Tuncer Ayaz <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Are there any blockers that would prevent cutting a release of current
>> Darcs HEAD to go with the soon to be released GHC 7.10.2?
>

> +1

Bump?

Re: New release to go with 7.10.2

Tuncer Ayaz
It's been a while since the last one, so a good release announcement
with highlights would be great.

I also recall talk about updating sample config to mention use of the
Prompt module instead of dmenu. That sounds like a great thing to do.
I use shellPrompt instead of dmenu myself, and I know others use it
for SSH, man pages, window-search, password management, etc. So, we
could start by including a nice and concise sample config with the
release announcement that only needs xmobar in addition to xmonad and
xmonad-contrib and uses shellPrompt as the launcher. It's important to
use EZConfig in the example, in order to keep it short.

Also, let's collect different prompt configs and highlight those as
well.

I can assist with the release announcement, if needed.

Re: New release to go with 7.10.2

Tuncer Ayaz
So, who's in charge of cutting a release and how do we coordinate
release notes with the suggested config examples? It seems there's
nobody who feels they have the ball to run with, if that makes any
sense.

I'm still willing to help out with the release announcement as needed.

Re: New release to go with 7.10.2

Peter Jones
Tuncer Ayaz <[hidden email]>
writes:
> So, who's in charge of cutting a release and how do we coordinate
> release notes with the suggested config examples? It seems there's
> nobody who feels they have the ball to run with, if that makes any
> sense.
>
> I'm still willing to help out with the release announcement as needed.

I still think we need to have someone appointed as a release manager who
can coordinate getting all the pieces in place (e.g., updating docs,
etc.) and making the actual release.  I previously volunteered for this
position and I stand by that.

--
Peter Jones, Founder, Devalot.com
Defending the honor of good code

Re: New release to go with 7.10.2

Brent Yorgey
Sorry, I had offered to help but I don't really have a lot of time for it.  I did set up automated builds on travis-ci, though haven't yet figured out how to get the xmonad-contrib build to use the git HEAD version of xmonad.  I hope to iron that out soon.

Peter, if you are willing to act as a release manager I think you should just go for it.  I am adding you to the xmonad organization on github.  Let me know how I can help.

On Thu, Dec 3, 2015 at 2:35 PM Peter Jones <[hidden email]> wrote:
Tuncer Ayaz <[hidden email]>

Brent Yorgey <[hidden email]> writes:
> Peter, if you are willing to act as a release manager I think you should
> just go for it.  I am adding you to the xmonad organization on github.  Let
> me know how I can help.

Sounds great.

I'll start working through the release management section of the TODO
file tomorrow.  Once I'm ready, I'll ask for help from people that have
the appropriate credentials to update resources such as xmonad.org, IRC,
hackage, etc.

--
Peter Jones, Founder, Devalot.com
Defending the honor of good code

Re: New release to go with 7.10.2

Peter Jones
Brent Yorgey <[hidden email]> writes:
> Peter, if you are willing to act as a release manager I think you should
> just go for it.  I am adding you to the xmonad organization on github.  Let
> me know how I can help.

I think we'll need a "team" configured on Github to grant write access
to at least the xmonad and xmonad-contrib repositories.  At the very
least I'd like to be able to change the .cabal file and tag releases.

Thanks.

On 7 December 2015 at 22:53, Peter Jones <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Brent Yorgey <[hidden email]> writes:
> > Peter, if you are willing to act as a release manager I think you
> > should just go for it. I am adding you to the xmonad organization
> > on github. Let me know how I can help.
>
> Sounds great.
>
> I'll start working through the release management section of the
> TODO file tomorrow. Once I'm ready, I'll ask for help from people
> that have the appropriate credentials to update resources such as
> xmonad.org, IRC, hackage, etc.

Excellent!

Besides more prominently advertising the use of the built-in prompt
modules (e.g. as a dmenu replacement), what else should be highlighted
in the release notes? It's been a while since the last release, and I
surely don't remember all things worth a mention. So, let's collect
noteworthy items.

writes:
> Besides more prominently advertising the use of the built-in prompt
> modules (e.g. as a dmenu replacement), what else should be highlighted
> in the release notes? It's been a while since the last release, and I
> surely don't remember all things worth a mention. So, let's collect
> noteworthy items.

Tuncer, please take a look at what I have so far and let me know how you
want to prominently display the use of Prompt:

  https://github.com/pjones/xmonad-contrib/blob/release-0.12/CHANGES.md

On 9 December 2015 at 21:05, Peter Jones <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Tuncer Ayaz <[hidden email]>
> writes:
> > Besides more prominently advertising the use of the built-in
> > prompt modules (e.g. as a dmenu replacement), what else should be
> > highlighted in the release notes? It's been a while since the last
> > release, and I surely don't remember all things worth a mention.
> > So, let's collect noteworthy items.
>
> Tuncer, please take a look at what I have so far and let me know how
> you want to prominently display the use of Prompt:
>
>   https://github.com/pjones/xmonad-contrib/blob/release-0.12/CHANGES.md

Nice, that looks comprehensive. Given all the other config
enhancements, the best way to promote use of the prompt module(s) is a
short sample config to include in the release notes. It should use the
new config features and XMonad.Prompt.Shell in place of dmenu for M-p.