Not passing Mod key to applications

John Goerzen-3
Hi everyone,

In what appears to be typical fashion, I have that pesky Windows key
(mod4mask) mapped to Mod.  That's been nice because it's mostly unused
anywhere else.

But the devil is in the word "mostly".

I have to run some Windows VMs and terminals.  They do actually use that
key.  So when I start to press, say, Mod-5 to switch to a different
workspace, the Windows session does something as soon as I press mod.

This is even worse with VirtualBox, which somehow prevents xmonad from
seeing the keypress when VirtualBox is active.

I'd rather have xmonad completely eat all Mod keypresses, and let no
other application, even those Windows RDP or VirtualBox sessions, ever
see it.  I don't really ever use it in Windows anyhow, so it's just
causing annoyance.

For awhile, Google Docs popped up keyboard shortcut help when I'd press
it over one if its windows.  I think that behavior has now gone away,
but I'm not certain if it's something they did or something I did.

Is there a quick trick to accomplish this?

Thanks,

-- John

Not passing Mod key to applications

wagnerdm@seas.upenn.edu
Quoting John Goerzen <jgoerzen at complete.org>:

> I'd rather have xmonad completely eat all Mod keypresses, and let no
> other application, even those Windows RDP or VirtualBox sessions,
> ever see it.  I don't really ever use it in Windows anyhow, so it's
> just causing annoyance.
>
> Is there a quick trick to accomplish this?

Thanks for asking, because it prompted me to finally solve this
long-standing annoyance in my own installation. =)

I now have the following line in my keybindings:

((0, xK_Super_L), return ()) -- make VirtualBox ignore stray hits of
the Windows key when xmonad has the active grab

~d

 <wagnerdm at ...> writes:

> I now have the following line in my keybindings:
>
> ((0, xK_Super_L), return ()) -- make VirtualBox ignore stray hits of
> the Windows key when xmonad has the active grab

Nice!  Well that was easy.  Thank you.

-- John

Not passing Mod key to applications

Yitzchak Gale

wagnerdm wrote:
> ((0, xK_Super_L), return ()) -- make VirtualBox ignore stray hits of the
> Windows key when xmonad has the active grab

Great! I really need this, because I am about to start
using Windows in VirtualBox on a regular bases, and
I've already felt this annoyance occasionally in VNC.

Thanks!

This is probably something that is needed by a
large proportion of xmonad users. Where can it
be posted so that people will likely hear about it?

I don't remember anymore how I found out how
to make the Windows key my Mod key. But this
important additional setting should be added there.

Thanks,
Yitz