OT: Haskell desktop wallpaper?

Magnus Therning
This morning I got tired of my desktop wallpaper (one that ships with
Debian's Gnome packages).  Typing "haskell desktop wallpaper" yeilded
a lot of links to wallpapers with Colleen Haskell, while she's a
beautiful lady it wasn't exactly what I was hoping to find.  Hence
this email.  Where can I find some nice wallpapers inspired by
Haskell, or maybe even created by Haskell code?

Oh yes, wallpapers related to XMonad would do, I suppose ;-)

/M

--
Magnus Therning                        (OpenPGP: 0xAB4DFBA4)
magnus@therning.org          Jabber: magnus@therning.org

Re: OT: Haskell desktop wallpaper?

Svein Ove Aas
2008/10/8 Magnus Therning <[hidden email]>:
> This morning I got tired of my desktop wallpaper (one that ships with
> Debian's Gnome packages).  Typing "haskell desktop wallpaper" yeilded
> a lot of links to wallpapers with Colleen Haskell, while she's a
> beautiful lady it wasn't exactly what I was hoping to find.  Hence
> this email.  Where can I find some nice wallpapers inspired by
> Haskell, or maybe even created by Haskell code?

It's not quite what you asked for, but
http://arcanux.org/lambdacats.html does contain my current wallpaper.
Close enough?

Re: OT: Haskell desktop wallpaper?

Dougal Stanton-2
2008/10/8 Magnus Therning <[hidden email]>:
> This morning I got tired of my desktop wallpaper (one that ships with
> Debian's Gnome packages).  Typing "haskell desktop wallpaper" yeilded
> a lot of links to wallpapers with Colleen Haskell, while she's a
> beautiful lady it wasn't exactly what I was hoping to find.  Hence
> this email.  Where can I find some nice wallpapers inspired by
> Haskell, or maybe even created by Haskell code?

It shouldn't be too difficult to generate some wallpapers. Look at the
examples included with the Diagrams package [1]. You could take the
Ford circles and have different coloured circles at every startup. You
could even have a range of palettes depending on season ;-)

[1]: <http://code.haskell.org/diagrams/example/examples.html>

Re: OT: Haskell desktop wallpaper?

Brandon S Allbery KF8NH
On Oct 8, 2008, at 05:12 , Magnus Therning wrote:
> This morning I got tired of my desktop wallpaper (one that ships with
> Debian's Gnome packages).  Typing "haskell desktop wallpaper" yeilded
> a lot of links to wallpapers with Colleen Haskell, while she's a
> beautiful lady it wasn't exactly what I was hoping to find.  Hence
> this email.  Where can I find some nice wallpapers inspired by
> Haskell, or maybe even created by Haskell code?

Haskell-created:

http://www.frank-buss.de/haskell/OlympicRings.hs.txt
http://hackage.haskell.org/cgi-bin/hackage-scripts/package/nymphaea

Re: OT: Haskell desktop wallpaper?

Derek Elkins
On Wed, 2008-10-08 at 10:12 +0100, Magnus Therning wrote:
> This morning I got tired of my desktop wallpaper (one that ships with
> Debian's Gnome packages).  Typing "haskell desktop wallpaper" yeilded
> a lot of links to wallpapers with Colleen Haskell, while she's a
> beautiful lady it wasn't exactly what I was hoping to find.  Hence
> this email.  Where can I find some nice wallpapers inspired by
> Haskell, or maybe even created by Haskell code?
>
> Oh yes, wallpapers related to XMonad would do, I suppose ;-)

Since I always run xmonad fullscreen and with no borders (i.e. there is
absolutely nothing on the screen from the window manager ever,)  I've
considered having a screen shot of the Windows desktop as my background.

Re: OT: Haskell desktop wallpaper?

R. Emre Başar

I created a wallpaper from The.Monad.Reader logo. You can find two
versions here:

http://tonguc.name/images/lambda-1280x800.png
http://tonguc.name/images/lambda-1024x768.png

Magnus Therning der ki:

> This morning I got tired of my desktop wallpaper (one that ships with
> Debian's Gnome packages).  Typing "haskell desktop wallpaper" yeilded
> a lot of links to wallpapers with Colleen Haskell, while she's a
> beautiful lady it wasn't exactly what I was hoping to find.  Hence
> this email.  Where can I find some nice wallpapers inspired by
> Haskell, or maybe even created by Haskell code?
>
> Oh yes, wallpapers related to XMonad would do, I suppose ;-)
>
> /M
>
> --
> Magnus Therning                        (OpenPGP: 0xAB4DFBA4)
> magnus@therning.org          Jabber: magnus@therning.org
> http://therning.org/magnus         identi.ca|twitter: magthe

R. Emre Başar
İstanbul Bilgi University
Department of Computer Science

Re: OT: Haskell desktop wallpaper?

Jim Snow
Ray tracing about a million spheres in a regular grid with reflections:

lattice =
 let n = 50 :: Flt
 in bih [sphere (vec x y z) 0.2 | x <- [(-n)..n],
                                  y <- [(-n)..n],
                                  z <- [(-n)..n]]

http://syn.cs.pdx.edu/~jsnow/glome/Glome.hs-lattice-1e6-720p.png
I don't remember if I disabled shadows for that particular render.

There are some more screenshots on the Glome web page, but most of them
were rendered in my Ocaml ray tracer and are low resolution:

http://syn.cs.pdx.edu/~jsnow/glome

I just now rendered a level 5 sphereflake (a standard benchmark scene
from Eric Haine's standard procedural database):

http://syn.cs.pdx.edu/~jsnow/glome/sphereflake5-720p.png

It took about a minute and a half to parse, sort, and render with about
98k spheres.

-jim

Magnus Therning wrote:

> This morning I got tired of my desktop wallpaper (one that ships with
> Debian's Gnome packages).  Typing "haskell desktop wallpaper" yeilded
> a lot of links to wallpapers with Colleen Haskell, while she's a
> beautiful lady it wasn't exactly what I was hoping to find.  Hence
> this email.  Where can I find some nice wallpapers inspired by
> Haskell, or maybe even created by Haskell code?
>
> Oh yes, wallpapers related to XMonad would do, I suppose ;-)
>
> /M

Re: OT: Haskell desktop wallpaper?

Cale Gibbard
Hello!

I worked on this for a few minutes in the GIMP. Thought it might look
nice spraypainted on asphalt.

http://cale.yi.org/LambdaAsphalt.jpg (this one's at 1280x1024)

 - Cale

On Thu, Oct 9, 2008 at 8:24 AM, Cale Gibbard <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hello!
>
> I worked on this for a few minutes in the GIMP. Thought it might look
> nice spraypainted on asphalt.
>
> http://cale.yi.org/LambdaAsphalt.jpg (this one's at 1280x1024)

This one is nice.  Any chance of getting it in aspect ration 8x5?  (My
screen is 1920x1200.)

/M

On Thu, Oct 9, 2008 at 7:32 AM, Jim Snow <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Ray tracing about a million spheres in a regular grid with reflections:
>
> lattice =
> let n = 50 :: Flt
> in bih [sphere (vec x y z) 0.2 | x <- [(-n)..n],
>                                 y <- [(-n)..n],
>                                 z <- [(-n)..n]]
>
> http://syn.cs.pdx.edu/~jsnow/glome/Glome.hs-lattice-1e6-720p.png
> I don't remember if I disabled shadows for that particular render.
>
> There are some more screenshots on the Glome web page, but most of them were
> rendered in my Ocaml ray tracer and are low resolution:
>
> http://syn.cs.pdx.edu/~jsnow/glome
>
> I just now rendered a level 5 sphereflake (a standard benchmark scene from
> Eric Haine's standard procedural database):
>
> http://syn.cs.pdx.edu/~jsnow/glome/sphereflake5-720p.png
Very nice indeed.  You don't have any images in aspect 8x5 that don't
include the window decorations? ;-)  (Yes, I'm lazy!)

> It took about a minute and a half to parse, sort, and render with about 98k
> spheres.

I'm afraid it'd take me considerably longer, since I have to first get
all the software compiled and installed and then I'll have to read up
on how to generate the graphics.  I suspect the latter will take a
long time since the closest I've ever come to rendering something is
watching Elephants Dream.

/M

Magnus Therning wrote:
> Very nice indeed.  You don't have any images in aspect 8x5 that don't
> include the window decorations? ;-)  (Yes, I'm lazy!)

I replaced the sphereflake image with one without window decorations:

http://syn.cs.pdx.edu/~jsnow/glome/sphereflake5-720p.png

I don't have any sort of image export functionality, so I just do a screen capture.

>> It took about a minute and a half to parse, sort, and render with about 98k
>> spheres.
>>

> I'm afraid it'd take me considerably longer, since I have to first get
> all the software compiled and installed and then I'll have to read up
> on how to generate the graphics.  I suspect the latter will take a
> long time since the closest I've ever come to rendering something is
> watching Elephants Dream.
>
> /M

Glome doesn't have any particularly weird dependencies (assuming you
have a recent ghc and a working OpenGL setup and GLUT), so it shouldn't
be a big deal to compile it.  In case you want to give it a try, here's
the steps I do to generate a sphereflake from a tarball:

tar xvfz glome-hs-0.51.tar.gz
cd glome-hs-0.51
runhaskell Setup.lhs configure --prefix=$HOME --user
runhaskell Setup.lhs build
./dist/build/glome/glome -n balls3.spd

(balls3.spd is included in the glome tarball and is the output of the
SPD program "spd/balls -r 1 -s 4".  SPD is available from
http://tog.acm.org/resources/SPD/ )

If it works, you should see an OpenGL window with a sphereflake in it.
Alternatively, if you omit a scene file, Glome will render whatever it
finds in TestScene.hs.

There is a hastily written and somewhat out-of-date tutorial here:
http://www.haskell.org/haskellwiki/Glome_tutorial

If you don't get an image (note: the demo scene in TestScene.hs takes a
while to render; about 20 seconds on my middle-of-the-road computer) or
glome segfaults, try commenting out the line that enables pointSmooth in
Glome.hs.  If that still doesn't work, send me an email.  I'd be
interested to know what systems glome does or does not work on.

-jim

Re: OT: Haskell desktop wallpaper?

Cale Gibbard
Sure thing: http://cale.yi.org/LambdaAsphalt-1920x1200.jpg

cheers!
 - Cale

2008/10/9 Magnus Therning <[hidden email]>:

> On Thu, Oct 9, 2008 at 8:24 AM, Cale Gibbard <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hello!
>>
>> I worked on this for a few minutes in the GIMP. Thought it might look
>> nice spraypainted on asphalt.
>>
>> http://cale.yi.org/LambdaAsphalt.jpg (this one's at 1280x1024)
>
> This one is nice.  Any chance of getting it in aspect ration 8x5?  (My
> screen is 1920x1200.)
>
> /M
>
> --
> Magnus Therning                        (OpenPGP: 0xAB4DFBA4)
> magnus@therning.org          Jabber: magnus@therning.org
> http://therning.org/magnus         identi.ca|twitter: magthe

Re: OT: Haskell desktop wallpaper?

George Pollard

Re: OT: Haskell desktop wallpaper?

Albert Y. C. Lai
Magnus Therning wrote:
> Where can I find some nice wallpapers inspired by
> Haskell, or maybe even created by Haskell code?

I once suggested a futuristic feature for xmonad or xmonad plugin:
screensaver that randomly picks a haskell lecture video to play or a
haskell tutorial page to display. The idea is that your colleagues do
not know haskell yet, but they pass by your screen and learn haskell.
Perhaps it can be extended to wallpaper as well.