Quantcast

On ideas about how to join the Haskell work-force

On ideas about how to join the Haskell work-force

Damian
Hello,

My name is Damian Nadales. Currently, I do not work any company that uses Haskell, but that is what I would like to achieve eventually. There are two main obstacles to this:
  0. I have no experience with software engineering in the large with Haskell (just teaching the basic aspects of the language at university, and making a small full stack web-application for my former employer).
  1. I am located (and for now stuck) in the south of The Netherlands where embedded software industries are the norm.

Ideally I would like to find a job where I can gain experience with production grade Haskell systems. However this has proven to be utterly difficult.

Then the only solution I can think of is continue programming for food, using paradigms and languages I consider sub-optimal for writing quality software, and spend my free time working on a large Haskell project. This will help me to learn more about Haskell, show a potential employer that I am worth my salt as a Haskell Software Engineer, or give me confidence in introducing Haskell in some project within a company.

My first question is whether you think there are other possibilities out there for somebody that wants to start working on Haskell.

My second question, subordinated to the first, is which projects (existing or future) you consider important for the commercial Haskell ecosystem. I'm thinking for example of:
   - projects at: https://github.com/commercialhaskell/commercialhaskell/blob/master/taskforce/devops.md
   - management and monitoring of micro-services (see for instance: http://vamp.io/)
   - https://github.com/leksah/leksah

I apologize if this question is not relevant for this list, but as part of the potential Haskell labor force I thought it could be relevant here.

Best regards,
Damian.

Re: On ideas about how to join the Haskell work-force

Damian
Hi Arnaud,

> It seems that more and more companies and sprouting here and there to
> develop stuff in Haskell. In a not so distant past I have been in a position
> to hire Haskell developper(s) and given the size of the average Haskell
> eco-system in any city in the world, there is no solution but to hire people
> remotely. We used functionaljobs.com like a bunch of others and from the
> looks of it, remote positions are somewhat not too rare there. So my
> suggestion would be to keep applying to positions even if remote working is
> not mentionned.

Thanks for the piece of advice :)

> Regarding your second question, you might also want to have a look at
> Gabriel Gonzales' "State of Haskell ecosystem" which provides a broader view
> of potential areas of improvements:
> http://www.haskellforall.com/2015/08/state-of-haskell-ecosystem-august-2015.html.
> There is also a blog post on contributing to the ecosystem:
> http://www.haskellforall.com/2015/12/how-to-contribute-to-haskell-ecosystem.html

Great tip! Thanks!