OpenAL bindings / compiling ghc 6.5

Michael Benfield
I see here:
http://www.haskell.org/HOpenGL/newAPI/

OpenAL bindings listed as part of the Hierachical Libraries. And when I
download the source to a development snapshot of GHC, there they are.
Is there a way to install this on GHC 6.4?

Alternatively... I can't get GHC 6.5 to compile. I do ./configure &&
make and it gets to this step:
==fptools== make all -r;
  in /Users/mike/source/ghc-6.5.20051221/ghc/compiler
and sits forever (well, I only let it sit a day and a half,
actually...). And the only relevant process that seems to be running is
gmake (no ghc or gcc or anything). I've tried a few different versions
of 6.5, including HEAD and STABLE branch. I'm on Mac OS 10.3.9. Thanks.

Mike Benfield

Re: OpenAL bindings / compiling ghc 6.5

Joel Reymont
Mike,

I think you should post to cvs-ghc. I was able to get things to
compile (almost) on 10.4.3 but had to configure with --disable-alut --
disable-openal, etc.

        Joel

--
http://wagerlabs.com/

Re: OpenAL bindings / compiling ghc 6.5

Sven Panne
Am Mittwoch, 28. Dezember 2005 16:15 schrieb Michael Benfield:
> I see here:
> http://www.haskell.org/HOpenGL/newAPI/
>
> OpenAL bindings listed as part of the Hierachical Libraries. And when I
> download the source to a development snapshot of GHC, there they are.
> Is there a way to install this on GHC 6.4?

Although I haven't tried it, you should be able to simply use the OpenAL and
ALUT directories from the HEAD in the 6.4 branch. The only problem that might
arise is that the Cabal stuff might have changed a bit, but I'm not sure
about that. Anyway, this should be fairly easy to fix...

Am Mittwoch, 28. Dezember 2005 16:24 schrieb Joel Reymont:
> I think you should post to cvs-ghc. I was able to get things to
> compile (almost) on 10.4.3 but had to configure with --disable-alut --
> disable-openal, etc.

Why were those --disable-foo options necessary? In theory everything should be
autodetected, otherwise it's a bug. Detailed information about the platform,
compilers, a configuration/compilation log plus config.log will help to
diagnose the problem.

Cheers,
   S.

Re: OpenAL bindings / compiling ghc 6.5

Joel Reymont
Sven,

The logs are at http://wagerlabs.com/logs.tgz. I have 6.4.1 installed
from darwinports into /opt/local.

        Thanks, Joel

--
http://wagerlabs.com/

Re: OpenAL bindings / compiling ghc 6.5

Michael Benfield
I tried to compile ghc 6.4.2 and I got the same thing (sits forever at
that point).

Sven Panne wrote:
 > Although I haven't tried it, you should be able to simply use the
OpenAL and
ALUT directories from the HEAD in the 6.4 branch.

I don't know how to do this. The Cabal User's Guide says "After you've
unpacked a Cabal package, you can build it  by moving into the root
directory of the package and using the  Setup.hs or Setup.lhs script
there" but there is no such script present.

Mike Benfield

Re: OpenAL bindings / compiling ghc 6.5

Simon Marlow-2
Michael Benfield wrote:

> I see here:
> http://www.haskell.org/HOpenGL/newAPI/
>
> OpenAL bindings listed as part of the Hierachical Libraries. And when I
> download the source to a development snapshot of GHC, there they are. Is
> there a way to install this on GHC 6.4?
>
> Alternatively... I can't get GHC 6.5 to compile. I do ./configure &&
> make and it gets to this step:
> ==fptools== make all -r;
>  in /Users/mike/source/ghc-6.5.20051221/ghc/compiler
> and sits forever (well, I only let it sit a day and a half,
> actually...). And the only relevant process that seems to be running is
> gmake (no ghc or gcc or anything). I've tried a few different versions
> of 6.5, including HEAD and STABLE branch. I'm on Mac OS 10.3.9. Thanks.

This may be due to using an older version of GNU make.   Try upgrading
your make and see if that helps.

Cheers,
        Simmon

Re: Re: OpenAL bindings / compiling ghc 6.5

Michael Benfield

On Dec 29, 2005, at 5:01 AM, Simon Marlow wrote:

> This may be due to using an older version of GNU make.   Try upgrading
> your make and

Thank you, this was the problem!

Now, though, I've got another problem, and it would be great if someone
could help me here.

I'm on Mac OS 10.3.9. I can't get GHC's configure script to detect my
OpenAL installation. I used OpenAL's binary OS X installer to install
OpenAL as a framework. The GHC configure script doesn't see it. I tried
just downloading the code for OpenAL and compiling it so that I could
install it in the normal Unixy way, but it refuses to compile (the
configure script seems to utterly ignore the options I give it and
tries to compile for backends I don't have).

Mike Benfield