Overloaded record fields for 8.2?

Adam Gundry-2
Hi Ben, devs,

I'd like to propose that we merge my latest ORF patch
(https://phabricator.haskell.org/D2708) for 8.2 (modulo any code review
improvements, of course). The corresponding proposal discussion
(https://github.com/ghc-proposals/ghc-proposals/pull/6) seems to have
reached a broad consensus. But it's not clear to me if some kind of
final approval from the GHC committee is needed, or how to obtain that.

This patch makes breaking changes to the experimental OverloadedLabels
extension, and I think it would be good to make those quickly rather
than having another release with the "old" version. Moreover, the work
has been in progress for a long time, so it would be great to see it
finally make it into a GHC release.

Any objections?

Adam

--
Adam Gundry, Haskell Consultant

Re: Overloaded record fields for 8.2?

Ben Gamari-3
Adam Gundry <[hidden email]> writes:

> Hi Ben, devs,
>
> I'd like to propose that we merge my latest ORF patch
> (https://phabricator.haskell.org/D2708) for 8.2 (modulo any code review
> improvements, of course). The corresponding proposal discussion
> (https://github.com/ghc-proposals/ghc-proposals/pull/6) seems to have
> reached a broad consensus. But it's not clear to me if some kind of
> final approval from the GHC committee is needed, or how to obtain that.

The committee is indeed looking at it.

> This patch makes breaking changes to the experimental OverloadedLabels
> extension, and I think it would be good to make those quickly rather
> than having another release with the "old" version. Moreover, the work
> has been in progress for a long time, so it would be great to see it
> finally make it into a GHC release.

Agreed, it would be great to have this finally see the light of day.

> Any objections?

Pending committee review this sounds good to me. There are still a few
other large patches that need to be merged for 8.2, so we have a little
bit of time.

Cheers,

- Ben