PPM image manipulation

newb
having some trouble trying to be able to manipulate PPM images.  I want to be able to desaturate and also double the scale of them. im a first time user of haskell so am not very familiar with it. any info would be great! thanks!

Re: PPM image manipulation

Jared Updike
> having some trouble trying to be able to manipulate PPM images.  I want to be
> able to desaturate and also double the scale of them. im a first time user
> of haskell so am not very familiar with it. any info would be great! thanks!

Nothing wrong with asking for help, but before you do, please read:
  http://www.haskell.org/hawiki/HomeworkHelp
After you read that and follow its advice, we would love to help with
*specific* questions (code help or algorithms, for example).

I have a few questions for you: Do you understand how to do these
image manipulations, for example, in another programming language? Are
you confused about how to do this in Haskell? Or both?

If these manipulations are difficult, try something simple, like
inverting the image or keeping only the red channel (zero out blue and
green), anything to make sure you have a handle on the code.

Thanks,
  Jared.

P.S. After googling around for "haskell image manipulation" (in the
hopes of finding some Haskell image lib like VIPS [1] or the Python
Imaging Library [2]), I found the assignment spoken of
  http://cs.anu.edu.au/Student/comp1100/assts/asst1/
just so everyone knows. BTW, does Haskell have an imaging library that
people usually turn to? (Or should I add that to my list of cool
projects that I need to get around to ...)

[1] http://www.vips.ecs.soton.ac.uk/
[2] http://www.pythonware.com/products/pil/

--
http://www.updike.org/~jared/
reverse ")-:"

Re: PPM image manipulation

newb
its ok got it all sorted now :)

Re: PPM image manipulation

Bjorn Bringert-2
Jared Updike wrote:
> P.S. After googling around for "haskell image manipulation" (in the
> hopes of finding some Haskell image lib like VIPS [1] or the Python
> Imaging Library [2]), I found the assignment spoken of
>   http://cs.anu.edu.au/Student/comp1100/assts/asst1/
> just so everyone knows. BTW, does Haskell have an imaging library that
> people usually turn to? (Or should I add that to my list of cool
> projects that I need to get around to ...)

There are a bunch of libraries listed on the wiki [1], but I don't know
if there is one that poeple usually turn to. I rolled my own GD binding
[2] when I needed to resize JPEGs, but that's all it does at the moment.
Contributions are welcome.

/Björn

[1]
http://www.haskell.org/haskellwiki/Libraries_and_tools/Graphics