PSA: perf.haskell.org/ghc temporarily out of order

PSA: perf.haskell.org/ghc temporarily out of order

Joachim Breitner-2
Hi,

a recent change to nofib
(https://phabricator.haskell.org/rNOFIB313812d319e009d698bc1a4d2e8ac26d4dfe3c0a)
broke the perf.haskell.org builder, so we won’t be getting perf
warnings until that is fixed.

I hope that once its up we will not be faced with a large number of
performance changes that we will have to track down.

Greetings,
Joachim

--
Joachim “nomeata” Breitner
  [hidden email]https://www.joachim-breitner.de/

Re: PSA: perf.haskell.org/ghc temporarily out of order

Ben Gamari-2
Joachim Breitner <[hidden email]> writes:

> Hi,
>
> a recent change to nofib
> (https://phabricator.haskell.org/rNOFIB313812d319e009d698bc1a4d2e8ac26d4dfe3c0a)
> broke the perf.haskell.org builder, so we won’t be getting perf
> warnings until that is fixed.

I've pushed the michalt's fix. Thanks for the quick turnaround, michalt!

Cheers,

- Ben

Re: PSA: perf.haskell.org/ghc temporarily out of order

Reid Barton-2
Don't know whether it is the same issue, but perf.haskell.org seems to
still have not built anything for the past 3 days, according to
https://github.com/nomeata/ghc-speed-logs/commits/master.

Regards,
Reid Barton

On Wed, Mar 15, 2017 at 5:49 PM, Ben Gamari <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Joachim Breitner <[hidden email]> writes:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> a recent change to nofib
>> (https://phabricator.haskell.org/rNOFIB313812d319e009d698bc1a4d2e8ac26d4dfe3c0a)
>> broke the perf.haskell.org builder, so we won’t be getting perf
>> warnings until that is fixed.
>>
> I've pushed the michalt's fix. Thanks for the quick turnaround, michalt!
>
> Cheers,
>
> - Ben

Re: PSA: perf.haskell.org/ghc temporarily out of order

Joachim Breitner-2
Hi,

correct. It seems that 'make boot' tries to compile all of nofib, even
those that are not to be run. So this ought to be revised.

Greetings,
Joachim

Am Samstag, den 18.03.2017, 01:56 -0400 schrieb Reid Barton:

> Don't know whether it is the same issue, but perf.haskell.org seems
> still have not built anything for the past 3 days, according to
> https://github.com/nomeata/ghc-speed-logs/commits/master.
>
> Regards,
> Reid Barton
>
> On Wed, Mar 15, 2017 at 5:49 PM, Ben Gamari <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> > Joachim Breitner <[hidden email]> writes:
> >
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > a recent change to nofib
> > > (https://phabricator.haskell.org/rNOFIB313812d319e009d698bc1a4d2e
> > > 8ac26d4dfe3c0a)
> > > broke the perf.haskell.org builder, so we won’t be getting perf
> > > warnings until that is fixed.
> > >

> > I've pushed the michalt's fix. Thanks for the quick turnaround,
> > michalt!
> >
> > Cheers,
> >
> > - Ben

Joachim “nomeata” Breitner
  [hidden email]https://www.joachim-breitner.de/
  XMPP: [hidden email] • OpenPGP-Key: 0xF0FBF51F
  Debian Developer: [hidden email]

Re: PSA: perf.haskell.org/ghc temporarily out of order

Reid Barton-2
ght? On Sat, Mar 18, 2017 at 1:05 PM, Joachim Breitner
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> correct. It seems that 'make boot' tries to compile all of nofib, even
> those that are not to be run. So this ought to be revised.

This appears to not actually be the case though, from local testing.
"make boot" never enters spectral/secretary, and it succeeds even
though it uses the inplace compiler for dependency generation.

Moreover even if `make -C nofib boot` was failing, there should be
`.broken` log files uploaded to
https://github.com/nomeata/ghc-speed-logs/, right? But even those are
missing. So something seems to be more seriously broken.

Regards,
Reid Barton

Am Sonntag, den 19.03.2017, 13:23 -0400 schrieb Reid Barton:

> ght? On Sat, Mar 18, 2017 at 1:05 PM, Joachim Breitner
> > <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > correct. It seems that 'make boot' tries to compile all of nofib, even
> > those that are not to be run. So this ought to be revised.
>
> This appears to not actually be the case though, from local testing.
> "make boot" never enters spectral/secretary, and it succeeds even
> though it uses the inplace compiler for dependency generation.
>
> Moreover even if `make -C nofib boot` was failing, there should be
> `.broken` log files uploaded to
> https://github.com/nomeata/ghc-speed-logs/, right? But even those are
> missing. So something seems to be more seriously broken.
indeed, last upload 5 days ago. Let me have a look…

It is busy building d357f526582e3c4cd4fbda5d73695fc81121b69a which
seems to hang in the test suite. Killed it, hopefully that fixes it.
Even if it does, it will take a while to catch up.

Greetings,
Joachim

--
Joachim “nomeata” Breitner
  [hidden email]https://www.joachim-breitner.de/
  XMPP: [hidden email] • OpenPGP-Key: 0xF0FBF51F
  Debian Developer: [hidden email]

Re: PSA: perf.haskell.org/ghc temporarily out of order

Reid Barton-2
On Sun, Mar 19, 2017 at 2:16 PM, Joachim Breitner
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Am Sonntag, den 19.03.2017, 13:23 -0400 schrieb Reid Barton:
>> ght? On Sat, Mar 18, 2017 at 1:05 PM, Joachim Breitner
>> > <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> > Hi,
>> >
>> > correct. It seems that 'make boot' tries to compile all of nofib, even
>> > those that are not to be run. So this ought to be revised.
>>
>> This appears to not actually be the case though, from local testing.
>> "make boot" never enters spectral/secretary, and it succeeds even
>> though it uses the inplace compiler for dependency generation.
>>
>> Moreover even if `make -C nofib boot` was failing, there should be
>> `.broken` log files uploaded to
>> https://github.com/nomeata/ghc-speed-logs/, right? But even those are
>> missing. So something seems to be more seriously broken.
>
> indeed, last upload 5 days ago. Let me have a look…
>

> It is busy building d357f526582e3c4cd4fbda5d73695fc81121b69a which
> seems to hang in the test suite. Killed it, hopefully that fixes it.

Thanks, it has started building again, and has almost gotten to the
commit which will fix nofib.

> Even if it does, it will take a while to catch up.

Yep, that's why I was eager to get it working again. At least the
commits where nofib was broken build a bit faster :)

Regards,
Reid Barton

Am Sonntag, den 19.03.2017, 21:37 -0400 schrieb Reid Barton:
> > Even if it does, it will take a while to catch up.
>
> Yep, that's why I was eager to get it working again. At least the
> commits where nofib was broken build a bit faster :)

if you look at
https://github.com/nomeata/gipeda/blob/master/ghc/run-speed.sh#L60
you can see that my runner script in in principle capable of fixing
some commits in retrospect. We’ll see if it is worth it for this
incident. The fix would probably simply consist of rm-rf’ing the
spectra/secretary folder, right?

Greetings,
Joachim