Package take over: OneTuple

Oleg Grenrus
Hi all,

I tried to contact John Dorsey who is the sole maintainer of OneTuple
[1], but the stated email address ([hidden email]) bounces back.

The last version of  OneTuple was uploaded "by JohnDorsey at Tue Mar 24
17:35:51 UTC 2009" - 9 years ago. OneTuple was working great so far, but
GHC-8.4.1 / base-4.11 introduced breaking change, which affects
OneTuple too: Semigroup is now a superclass of Monoid. Therefore none of
OneTuple versions is GHC-8.4.1/base-4.11 compatible.

I'm a Hackage Trustee [1] and also a user of OneTuple package (though
not direct - it's in the transitive closure of Chart + diagrams), so I'd
like to see GHC-8.4 compatible OneTuple version soon.

The required changes are very small, see
https://github.com/phadej/OneTuple/pull/1 or more precisely this exact
commit:
https://github.com/phadej/OneTuple/pull/1/commits/1dbc4d3186f707034953e131995c590eb50cd9af

I'd like to become (co-)maintainer of OneTuple. I have no other plans
than to keep it compiling with recent versions of GHC. Maybe I'll add
NFData (from `deepseq`) instance though.

Best Regards, Oleg Grenrus

[1]:  https://hackage.haskell.org/package/OneTuple

Re: Package take over: OneTuple

Ivan Lazar Miljenovic
On 13 April 2018 at 22:28, Oleg Grenrus <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I tried to contact John Dorsey who is the sole maintainer of OneTuple
> [1], but the stated email address ([hidden email]) bounces back.
>
> The last version of  OneTuple was uploaded "by JohnDorsey at Tue Mar 24
> 17:35:51 UTC 2009" - 9 years ago. OneTuple was working great so far, but
> GHC-8.4.1 / base-4.11 introduced breaking change, which affects
> OneTuple too: Semigroup is now a superclass of Monoid. Therefore none of
> OneTuple versions is GHC-8.4.1/base-4.11 compatible.
>
> I'm a Hackage Trustee [1] and also a user of OneTuple package (though
> not direct - it's in the transitive closure of Chart + diagrams), so I'd
> like to see GHC-8.4 compatible OneTuple version soon.

Would it be worth trying to consolidate similar data structures and
have Chart + diagrams migrate to Only [1] (which is up to date)?

[1]: https://hackage.haskell.org/package/Only

> The required changes are very small, see
> https://github.com/phadej/OneTuple/pull/1 or more precisely this exact
> commit:
> https://github.com/phadej/OneTuple/pull/1/commits/1dbc4d3186f707034953e131995c590eb50cd9af
>
> I'd like to become (co-)maintainer of OneTuple. I have no other plans
> than to keep it compiling with recent versions of GHC. Maybe I'll add
> NFData (from `deepseq`) instance though.
>
> Best Regards, Oleg Grenrus
>

> [1]:  https://hackage.haskell.org/package/OneTuple

Ivan Lazar Miljenovic
[hidden email]
http://IvanMiljenovic.wordpress.com

Re: Package take over: OneTuple

George Wilson
Hi all,

Here are my two cents. Disclaimer: I'm another Hackage Trustee and I
care about this for the same reason Oleg does (specifically: the
transitive closure of `diagrams`)

> Would it be worth trying to consolidate similar data structures and
> have Chart + diagrams migrate to Only [1] (which is up to date)?
>
> [1]: https://hackage.haskell.org/package/Only

I have suggested that here
https://github.com/DavidM-D/indexed-list-literals/issues/1
Definitely in the longer term, I'd rather see a move to the Only
package. But in the short term I'd find it much easier to get current
packages working on GHC 8.4 if OneTuple supported 8.4. Oleg's changes
look sensible to me, and adding a co-maintainer seems reasonable given
that the last release was nine years ago and the sole maintainer seems
uncontactable.

My preferred course of action would be to add Oleg as a co-maintainer,
and move downstream packages to `Only` over time. I intend to
participate in the latter.

Cheers,
George

Re: Package take over: OneTuple

Oleg Grenrus
my Chart + diagrams usage depends on SVGFonts [1], which depend on tuple
[2] which depend on OneTuple.

So if SVGFonts could drop a dependency on `tuple`, that would solve my
usage problem too. CC:ing SVGFonts maintainers.
In fact, dropping the dependency is easy in this case:
https://github.com/diagrams/SVGFonts/pull/26

OTOH, Only's description says

NOTE: There is also the OneTuple package which by using a boxed
data-type provides a 1-tuple type which has laziness properties which
are more faithful to the ones of Haskell's native tuples; whereas the
primary purpose of Only is to provide the traditionally so named
type-wrapper for attaching typeclass instances.

So there's still some value in keeping OneTuple alive.

[1]: https://hackage.haskell.org/package/OneTuple
[2]: http://hackage.haskell.org/package/tuple

On 13.04.2018 15:38, Ivan Lazar Miljenovic wrote:

> On 13 April 2018 at 22:28, Oleg Grenrus <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I tried to contact John Dorsey who is the sole maintainer of OneTuple
>> [1], but the stated email address ([hidden email]) bounces back.
>>
>> The last version of  OneTuple was uploaded "by JohnDorsey at Tue Mar 24
>> 17:35:51 UTC 2009" - 9 years ago. OneTuple was working great so far, but
>> GHC-8.4.1 / base-4.11 introduced breaking change, which affects
>> OneTuple too: Semigroup is now a superclass of Monoid. Therefore none of
>> OneTuple versions is GHC-8.4.1/base-4.11 compatible.
>>
>> I'm a Hackage Trustee [1] and also a user of OneTuple package (though
>> not direct - it's in the transitive closure of Chart + diagrams), so I'd
>> like to see GHC-8.4 compatible OneTuple version soon.
> Would it be worth trying to consolidate similar data structures and
> have Chart + diagrams migrate to Only [1] (which is up to date)?
>
> [1]: https://hackage.haskell.org/package/Only
>
>> The required changes are very small, see
>> https://github.com/phadej/OneTuple/pull/1 or more precisely this exact
>> commit:
>> https://github.com/phadej/OneTuple/pull/1/commits/1dbc4d3186f707034953e131995c590eb50cd9af
>>
>> I'd like to become (co-)maintainer of OneTuple. I have no other plans
>> than to keep it compiling with recent versions of GHC. Maybe I'll add
>> NFData (from `deepseq`) instance though.
>>
>> Best Regards, Oleg Grenrus
>>

>> [1]:  https://hackage.haskell.org/package/OneTuple

Re: Package take over: OneTuple

davean
I ran into this issue in the taffybar built plan also and had to fix it locally since I didn't realize it was abandoned. So this isn't a fully localized issue.

On Fri, Apr 13, 2018 at 9:14 AM, Oleg Grenrus <[hidden email]> wrote:
my Chart + diagrams usage depends on SVGFonts [1], which depend on tuple
[2] which depend on OneTuple.

So if SVGFonts could drop a dependency on `tuple`, that would solve my
usage problem too. CC:ing SVGFonts maintainers.
In fact, dropping the dependency is easy in this case:
https://github.com/diagrams/SVGFonts/pull/26

OTOH, Only's description says

NOTE: There is also the OneTuple package which by using a boxed
data-type provides a 1-tuple type which has laziness properties which
are more faithful to the ones of Haskell's native tuples; whereas the
primary purpose of Only is to provide the traditionally so named
type-wrapper for attaching typeclass instances.

So there's still some value in keeping OneTuple alive.

[1]: https://hackage.haskell.org/package/OneTuple
[2]: http://hackage.haskell.org/package/tuple

On 13.04.2018 15:38, Ivan Lazar Miljenovic wrote:
> On 13 April 2018 at 22:28, Oleg Grenrus <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I tried to contact John Dorsey who is the sole maintainer of OneTuple
>> [1], but the stated email address ([hidden email]) bounces back.
>>
>> The last version of  OneTuple was uploaded "by JohnDorsey at Tue Mar 24
>> 17:35:51 UTC 2009" - 9 years ago. OneTuple was working great so far, but
>> GHC-8.4.1 / base-4.11 introduced breaking change, which affects
>> OneTuple too: Semigroup is now a superclass of Monoid. Therefore none of
>> OneTuple versions is GHC-8.4.1/base-4.11 compatible.
>>
>> I'm a Hackage Trustee [1] and also a user of OneTuple package (though
>> not direct - it's in the transitive closure of Chart + diagrams), so I'd
>> like to see GHC-8.4 compatible OneTuple version soon.
> Would it be worth trying to consolidate similar data structures and
> have Chart + diagrams migrate to Only [1] (which is up to date)?
>
> [1]: https://hackage.haskell.org/package/Only
>
>> The required changes are very small, see
>> https://github.com/phadej/OneTuple/pull/1 or more precisely this exact
>> commit:
>> https://github.com/phadej/OneTuple/pull/1/commits/1dbc4d3186f707034953e131995c590eb50cd9af
>>
>> I'd like to become (co-)maintainer of OneTuple. I have no other plans
>> than to keep it compiling with recent versions of GHC. Maybe I'll add
>> NFData (from `deepseq`) instance though.
>>
>> Best Regards, Oleg Grenrus
>>

>> [1]:  https://hackage.haskell.org/package/OneTuple

Re: Package take over: OneTuple

Oleg Grenrus
I were granted maintainer bits on OneTuple,

I now upload https://hackage.haskell.org/package/OneTuple-0.2.2 which is
compatible with GHC-8.4

Cheers, Oleg