Panmusic?

Mario Lang-2
Hi.

With all this recent talk of parsing, and me being in the process of
redoing my homepage with Hakyll (read, Pandoc) I can not help but think
of a long-term project of mine.  I've written two different programs to
handle braille music code.  FreeDots[1] (Java) which converts MusicXML to Braille
Music Code, and BMC[2] (C++) which converts Braille Music Code to LilyPond and
MusicXML.  Combining the insight that Haskell is perfect for writing
compilers, and Pandoc being one of the most successful Haskell
applications, I can not help but wonder: Maybe I am after Panmusic?

Before another wasted attempt of stupidly reinventing the wheel,
I need to ask: Is anyone working on the universal music notation converter
in Haskell?  If not yet, would you be interested to?
The colest thing I know to a versatile format converter right now
is music21[3].  However, I'd much rather see this job done
in Haskell then in any other language.

[1] https://github.com/mlang/freedots
[2] https://github.com/mlang/bmc
[3] https://github.com/cuthbertLab/music21

--
CYa,
  ⡍⠁⠗⠊⠕

Re: Panmusic?

Johannes Waldmann-2
> Is anyone working on the universal music notation
>  converter in Haskell?

https://github.com/music-suite/music-suite
http://music-suite.github.io/docs/ref/

I think this intends to be "the pandoc of music".

I was looking into lilypond parsing for that, see my fork
https://github.com/jwaldmann/lilypond-parse#goals
but I'm currently stalled on this, for lack of time -
and for the thorough mess that lilypond makes
of mixing lexing, parsing, and semantics. It's as bad as TeX ...

- J.

Re: Panmusic?

Mario Lang-2
Johannes Waldmann <[hidden email]> writes:

>> Is anyone working on the universal music notation
>>  converter in Haskell?
>
> https://github.com/music-suite/music-suite
> http://music-suite.github.io/docs/ref/
>
> I think this intends to be "the pandoc of music".

Thanks for the pointer!  This looks very interesting.

> I was looking into lilypond parsing for that, see my fork
> https://github.com/jwaldmann/lilypond-parse#goals
> but I'm currently stalled on this, for lack of time -
> and for the thorough mess that lilypond makes
> of mixing lexing, parsing, and semantics.

Yeah, a good LilyPond parser needs to have a Scheme interpreter built-in.

> It's as bad as TeX ...

That is intetional I guess.  LilyPond is modeled after TeX.

--
CYa,
  ⡍⠁⠗⠊⠕

Re: Panmusic?

Johannes Waldmann-2
Hi

>> [lilypond]'s as bad as TeX ...
>
> That is intetional I guess.  LilyPond is modeled after TeX.

Sure. I should have added: .. and as brilliant as well.
Horrible language, with beautiful output.

> Yeah, a good LilyPond parser ..

the lexer, even?

> .. needs to have a Scheme interpreter built-in.

So, do you have such a parser?

- J.