Parallel, Incremental Linking

Jonathon Delgado
The bottleneck for building on my multi-core machine is ld, which spends a considerable time consuming 100% of one core
after ghc has finished generating object files. Moreover, GHC is largely IO bound, while ld is CPU bound; incremental
linking would enable the two tasks to be performed in parallel (or am I being naive?)

Gold in an incremental and multi-threaded linker, but can only output ELF (not Windows). Is there a cross-platform
solution suitable for GHC?

Re: Parallel, Incremental Linking

Max Bolingbroke-2
On 7 December 2010 08:54, John Smith <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Gold in an incremental and multi-threaded linker, but can only output ELF
> (not Windows). Is there a cross-platform solution suitable for GHC?

Not AFAIK. One thing that would probably help a lot is if
GHC-generated code stopped causing the linker to link so much stuff
in: http://hackage.haskell.org/trac/ghc/ticket/4417

Cheers,
Max

Re: Parallel, Incremental Linking

Bulat Ziganshin-2
Hello John,

Tuesday, December 7, 2010, 11:54:22 AM, you wrote:

> The bottleneck for building on my multi-core machine is ld, which

afaik, there was some alternative linker, at least for linux systems

Re: Parallel, Incremental Linking

Johan Tibell-2
On Tue, Dec 7, 2010 at 12:00 PM, Bulat Ziganshin
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hello John,
>
> Tuesday, December 7, 2010, 11:54:22 AM, you wrote:
>
>> The bottleneck for building on my multi-core machine is ld, which
>
> afaik, there was some alternative linker, at least for linux systems

gold, developed by Google.