Performance impact of GHC profiling?

Haskell - Haskell mailing list
Hi,

I have wondered what the approximate execution (not compilation) performance
impact (time, space) of compiling all Haskell programs with -prof and -fprof-
auto compared to regular compilations. For this purpose, I assume that I would
run the executables WITHOUT +RTS -p or any other profiling option. In other
words, I would make -prof and -fprof-auto the compilation defaults, but only
use profiling runtime occasionally.

Does anyone have any data or benchmarks about this? Thanks.

Regards,

Howard

Re: Performance impact of GHC profiling?

Ben Gamari-2
"Howard B. Golden via Haskell" <[hidden email]> writes:

> Hi,
>
> I have wondered what the approximate execution (not compilation) performance
> impact (time, space) of compiling all Haskell programs with -prof and -fprof-
> auto compared to regular compilations. For this purpose, I assume that I would
> run the executables WITHOUT +RTS -p or any other profiling option. In other
> words, I would make -prof and -fprof-auto the compilation defaults, but only
> use profiling runtime occasionally.
>
> Does anyone have any data or benchmarks about this? Thanks.

While I don't have any hard data, I can say that the severity of the
effect really depends upon the nature of the code and how many cost
centers you insert (either manually or automatically with, say,
-fprof-auto). Cost centers can act as optimization barriers which can
sometimes prevent deforestation. When this happens the effect can be
quite significant. With no cost centers at all I would expect that the
effect of the profiled runtime is quite small (perhaps less than a few
percent?)

Cheers,

- Ben