Perl locale

GHC - devs mailing list

Hi Tamar

One other thing happened to me when building GHC, very early.  See below.  I think the perl concerned is c:/msys64/usr/bin/perl.

Any ideas?  It seems non-fatal

Thanks

Simon

perl: warning: Setting locale failed.

       LC_ALL = (unset),

       LANG = "ENG"

perl: warning: Setting locale failed.

       LC_ALL = (unset),

       LANG = "ENG"

perl: warning: Setting locale failed.

       LC_ALL = (unset),

       LANG = "ENG"

perl: warning: Setting locale failed.

       LC_ALL = (unset),

       LANG = "ENG"

perl: warning: Setting locale failed.

       LC_ALL = (unset),

       LANG = "ENG"

Re: Perl locale

Phyx
Hi Simon,

That's weird, "ENG" isn't a valid locale as far as I know.

The locale should be getting set by your .profile by the line

# Set user-defined locale
export LANG=$(locale -uU)

In my case that returns

$ locale -uU
en_GB.UTF-8

I would check to see if that line is in your .profile (it should be by default) or in case you're not login into bash (using --login), in your .bashrc. That should fix the warning.

However it's weird that it's using c:/msys64/usr/bin/perl to build GHC. As far as I know, the only usage of perl in GHC is for SplitObjs
in which case we use a very old perl distribution that should have been downloaded by configure into inplace/perl/

and configure should have picked that one up. It's hardcoded somewhat to do so. What does configure report that it found?

in any case, setting the locale as above should fix the warning.

Cheers,
Tamar