Plan for GHC 8.6.1

Ben Gamari-3
Hello fellow lazy purists,

With GHC 8.4.2 out the door, it is time to begin looking forward to
8.6.1. In keeping with our six-month release schedule, this release will
be targetted for early-September, with the stable branch being cut in
mid-to-late June.

Remarkably, this is only 6 weeks away. If you have patches that you
would like to see in 8.6.1, please do put them up on Phabricator and the
8.6.1 status page [1] in the coming weeks to ensure that there is
sufficient time for review.

If you have a patch which you are concerned won't make the cut-off, do
say something.

Cheers,

- Ben

[1] https://ghc.haskell.org/trac/ghc/wiki/Status/GHC-8.6.1

Re: Plan for GHC 8.6.1

Ryan Scott
I have one major feature planned: -XDerivingVia. I haven't made a
patch yet, since the idea itself is still technically going through
the proposal process at [1]. But the feedback seems pretty positive,
so I think I'll submit it to the committee next week for final
consideration.

There is an implementation that's 99% already at [2], so there
shouldn't be much of a delay in getting it to Phabricator once the
committee gives the go-ahead.

Ryan S.
-----
[1] https://github.com/ghc-proposals/ghc-proposals/pull/120
[2] https://github.com/RyanGlScott/ghc/tree/deriving-via-8.5

Re: Plan for GHC 8.6.1

Ben Gamari-2
Ryan Scott <[hidden email]> writes:

> I have one major feature planned: -XDerivingVia. I haven't made a
> patch yet, since the idea itself is still technically going through
> the proposal process at [1]. But the feedback seems pretty positive,
> so I think I'll submit it to the committee next week for final
> consideration.
>
> There is an implementation that's 99% already at [2], so there
> shouldn't be much of a delay in getting it to Phabricator once the
> committee gives the go-ahead.

Right, I think this can be made to work assuming there is no objection
from the devops committee.

Thanks for the heads-up!

Cheers,

- Ben

Re: Plan for GHC 8.6.1

Matthew Pickering
Perhaps Nested CPR will be ready :) ? https://phabricator.haskell.org/D4244

I am also working on the linear types branch. Arnaud is quite keen for
it to be ready for 8.6 but we still have a bit to go.

Cheers,

Matt

Matthew Pickering <[hidden email]> writes:

> Perhaps Nested CPR will be ready :) ? https://phabricator.haskell.org/D4244
>
> I am also working on the linear types branch. Arnaud is quite keen for
> it to be ready for 8.6 but we still have a bit to go.

I'll admit that I'm a bit worried that the linear types branch may be a
bit late given that the proposal only went to the committee last week.
That being said, I'm happy to keep all options on the table.

Regardless, it might be a good idea to put up a patch sooner rather than
later so we can begin the review process.

Cheers,

- Ben

Re: Plan for GHC 8.6.1

Carter Schonwald
Even aside from committee feedback easily being weeks away for such a complex proposal, I’m also concerned about how the current proposed design changes to core seem a bit fragile with linear types.  Perhaps I’m misunderstanding some of the current planned details , but I’m fairly confident that I’ve got a median or better comprehension.

Type checking as if the code were inlined (per join points and related case expressions as the linear core doc says ) tends to be a symptom of the types not quite modelling the right information.  Likewise would not that sort of checking create a possible quadratic blowup when linting/ type checking core? (And quadratic blowups are bad when debugging/checking  possibly large core programs in the core of any ghc debugging or the like !)

That said, putting a check point on phab for feedback of a technical sort is def something that would help.  The ghc proposal spec is vaguer than I’d like for something like this.  And a lot of important details I care about will be visible in the code that are lacking in the associated proposal and paper.