Please help me to reconstruct the Yarrow website! Re: New haskell.org server

Please help me to reconstruct the Yarrow website! Re: New haskell.org server

Frank Rosemeier

Dear Haskellers,

today I have noticed that the link
is broken!

Who is responsible or can help me to reconstruct the Yarrow home page?

To my mind this it is not a fair treatment of the Yarrow wersite:
I asked in September for prolongation of this website,
than I have been informed thirty days ago that it has to be moved,
so that I asked for support with the migration process about a week ago
and today the homepage is not accessible.

I would like to have more time and more support!
Is it possible to setup the old home page for some weeks (or better months) again?

Kind regards

Frank Rosemeier

Anfang der weitergeleiteten E-Mail:

Von: Frank Rosemeier <[hidden email]>
Datum: 2. Dezember 2010 10:08:08 GMT+01:00
An: Ian Lynagh <[hidden email]>
Kopie: "Frank ((FH Hamm)) Rosemeier" <[hidden email]>
Betreff: Re: Yarrow website! Re: [Haskell] New haskell.org server

Hello Ian,

I am sorry that the Yarrow homepage has to be moved.
How long will the old website be accessible?

I would prefer to have the redirection for some years (not only for some months)
because presumably it will take some months to create the new home for Yarrow.

Are there any tools or tutors to help me with this migration?

Kind regards

Frank

Am 20.11.2010 um 16:29 schrieb Ian Lynagh:

Hi Frank,

Sorry for the slow reply; it's taken longer than I expected to get
everything worked out.

On Thu, Sep 09, 2010 at 07:21:48PM +0200, Frank Rosemeier wrote:

the Yarrow website has been hosted by haskell.org for some years now
Thank you very much for this service!

I would be very happy,  if you could transfer these pages to the new
server.

The haskell.org committee have decided that the community server would
be a better fit for the yarrow site. We will be happy to add a redirect
from http://www.haskell.org/yarrow/ to the community site for a few
months, so links don't instantly break.

To get an account on the community server, you need to fill in:
and then to get a project for yarrow:
Information on how to use a community project is here:

Please let me know if you have any problems.

Thanks
Ian

Re: Please help me to reconstruct the Yarrow website! Re: New haskell.org server

Thomas Schilling-2
It's still available at http://haskell.cs.yale.edu/yarrow/

I believe the correct new location will be on community server.  See
http://community.haskell.org/ for instructions on how to get an
account there.

On 10 December 2010 12:23, Frank Rosemeier <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Dear Haskellers,
> today I have noticed that the link
> http://www.haskell.org/yarrow
> is broken!
> Who is responsible or can help me to reconstruct the Yarrow home page?
> To my mind this it is not a fair treatment of the Yarrow wersite:
> I asked in September for prolongation of this website,
> than I have been informed thirty days ago that it has to be moved,
> so that I asked for support with the migration process about a week ago
> and today the homepage is not accessible.
> I would like to have more time and more support!
> Is it possible to setup the old home page for some weeks (or better months)
> again?
>
> Kind regards
> Frank Rosemeier
>

> Anfang der weitergeleiteten E-Mail:
>
> Von: Frank Rosemeier <[hidden email]>
> Datum: 2. Dezember 2010 10:08:08 GMT+01:00
> An: Ian Lynagh <[hidden email]>
> Kopie: "Frank ((FH Hamm)) Rosemeier" <[hidden email]>
> Betreff: Re: Yarrow website! Re: [Haskell] New haskell.org server
>
> Hello Ian,
> I am sorry that the Yarrow homepage has to be moved.
> How long will the old website be accessible?
> I would prefer to have the redirection for some years (not only for some
> months)
> because presumably it will take some months to create the new home for
> Yarrow.
> Are there any tools or tutors to help me with this migration?
>
> Kind regards
> Frank
>

> Am 20.11.2010 um 16:29 schrieb Ian Lynagh:
>
> Hi Frank,
> Sorry for the slow reply; it's taken longer than I expected to get
> everything worked out.
> On Thu, Sep 09, 2010 at 07:21:48PM +0200, Frank Rosemeier wrote:
>
> the Yarrow website has been hosted by haskell.org for some years now
> (http://www.haskell.org/yarrow/ ).
> Thank you very much for this service!
> I would be very happy,  if you could transfer these pages to the new
> server.
>
> The haskell.org committee have decided that the community server would
> be a better fit for the yarrow site. We will be happy to add a redirect
> from http://www.haskell.org/yarrow/ to the community site for a few
> months, so links don't instantly break.
> To get an account on the community server, you need to fill in:
>     http://community.haskell.org/admin/account_request.html
> and then to get a project for yarrow:
>     http://community.haskell.org/admin/project_request.html
> Information on how to use a community project is here:
>     http://community.haskell.org/admin/using_project.html
> Please let me know if you have any problems.
>
> Thanks
> Ian

Push the envelope. Watch it bend.

Re: Please help me to reconstruct the Yarrow website! Re: New haskell.org server

Frank Rosemeier
Hello Malcolm,

As I mentioned in my mail thirty days are not enough for me to
realize such a change.
It has not been mentioned how long the old website will be available.
Please help me to obtain a fair treatment for the Yarrow website!
Is there any chance to obtain an account for the old internet address
for a sufficient time?

Kind regards

Frank Rosemeier

Am 10.12.2010 um 17:46 schrieb Malcolm Wallace:

> Hello Frank.
>
> In the email quoted below, Ian gave you links to instructions on
> how to apply for an account and project on community.haskell.org.
> To my knowledge, you have not yet applied for such an account.
> That will be the first step to getting your website running again.
>
> Regards,
>     Malcolm
>
>> Who is responsible or can help me to reconstruct the Yarrow home
>> page?
>>
>> To my mind this it is not a fair treatment of the Yarrow wersite:
>> I asked in September for prolongation of this website,
>> than I have been informed thirty days ago that it has to be moved,
>> so that I asked for support with the migration process about a
>> week ago
>> and today the homepage is not accessible.
>>
>> I would like to have more time and more support!
>> Is it possible to setup the old home page for some weeks (or
>> better months) again?
>>

>> Kind regards
>>
>> Frank Rosemeier
>>

>> Anfang der weitergeleiteten E-Mail:
>>
>>> Von: Frank Rosemeier <[hidden email]>
>>> Datum: 2. Dezember 2010 10:08:08 GMT+01:00
>>> An: Ian Lynagh <[hidden email]>
>>> Kopie: "Frank ((FH Hamm)) Rosemeier" <frank.rosemeier@fh-
>>> hamm.srh.de>
>>> Betreff: Re: Yarrow website! Re: [Haskell] New haskell.org server
>>>

>>> Hello Ian,
>>>
>>> I am sorry that the Yarrow homepage has to be moved.
>>> How long will the old website be accessible?
>>>
>>> I would prefer to have the redirection for some years (not only
>>> for some months)
>>> because presumably it will take some months to create the new
>>> home for Yarrow.
>>>
>>> Are there any tools or tutors to help me with this migration?
>>>

>>> Kind regards
>>>
>>> Frank

Re: Please help me to reconstruct the Yarrow website! Re: New haskell.org server

Taral
On Sat, Dec 11, 2010 at 6:52 AM, Frank Rosemeier <[hidden email]> wrote:
> As I mentioned in my mail thirty days are not enough for me to realize such
> a change.

Seriously? You can't make changes to your site in 30 days?

You're getting completely fair treatment -- everyone got the same
notice, and you're the only one complaining like this. Take a backup
of the site with wget and fix it when you have time.

--
Taral <[hidden email]>
"Please let me know if there's any further trouble I can give you."

Re: Please help me to reconstruct the Yarrow website! Re: New haskell.org server

Duncan Coutts-4
On 11 December 2010 14:52, Frank Rosemeier <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Is there any chance to obtain an account for the old internet address for a
> sufficient time?

You can ask for a redirect. That is, you can ask the haskell.org
admings to make the URL http://haskell.org/yarrow/ redirect users to a
new URL, (wherver you move the new site to, e.g. somewhere on
community.haskell.org) so there is no need for old links to be broken.

To make such a request, see: http://community.haskell.org/admin/

Of course that does not help with the issue of moving stuff over, but
if it's just static content then that bit is quite easy.

Duncan

Re: Please help me to reconstruct the Yarrow website! Re: New haskell.org server

Frank Rosemeier
Hello Thomas,

thank you very much for this link!
I am glad that the Yarrow website is accessible.
I will try to move it to the community server as soon as possible.
How long will the pages being hosted at Yale?

Is it possible to redirect the old Yarrow address to this one?

Kind regards

Frank Rosemeier

Am 10.12.2010 um 18:25 schrieb Thomas Schilling:

> [...]
>>
>> The haskell.org committee have decided that the community server
>> would
>> be a better fit for the yarrow site. We will be happy to add a
>> redirect
>> from http://www.haskell.org/yarrow/ to the community site for a few
>> months, so links don't instantly break.
>> To get an account on the community server, you need to fill in:
>>     http://community.haskell.org/admin/account_request.html
>> and then to get a project for yarrow:
>>     http://community.haskell.org/admin/project_request.html
>> Information on how to use a community project is here:
>>     http://community.haskell.org/admin/using_project.html
>> Please let me know if you have any problems.
>>
>> Thanks
>> Ian

> Push the envelope. Watch it bend.

Re: Please help me to reconstruct the Yarrow website! Re: New haskell.org server

Hudak, Paul
Dear All:

My research group is paying $200/month to maintain the old haskell.org at Yale, and we cannot continue doing this indefinitely -- indeed, I had hoped that we could have turned off the machine by now.  I propose that we shut down the old server on Jan 31, 2011.  Hopefully this will give everyone adequate time to move their files.

Best,

    -Paul Hudak

Jonathon Delgado
On 13/12/2010 18:01, Hudak, Paul wrote:
> Dear All:
>
> My research group is paying $200/month to maintain the old haskell.org at Yale, and we cannot continue doing this indefinitely -- indeed, I had hoped that we could have turned off the machine by now.  I propose that we shut down the old server on Jan 31, 2011.  Hopefully this will give everyone adequate time to move their files.
>
> Best,
>
>      -Paul Hudak

How did you manage to find such expensive hosting?

http://www.webhostingbuzz.com/business-web-hosting.php

Re: Please help me to reconstruct the Yarrow website! Re: New haskell.org server

Don Stewart-2
Hi Paul,

The move is complete. There are no haskell.org services running there
now. You could shut down the machine in December if you wish.

-- Don

paul.hudak:

> Dear All:
>
> My research group is paying $200/month to maintain the old haskell.org
> at Yale, and we cannot continue doing this indefinitely -- indeed, I
> had hoped that we could have turned off the machine by now.  I propose
> that we shut down the old server on Jan 31, 2011.  Hopefully this will
> give everyone adequate time to move their files.
>
> Best,
>
>     -Paul Hudak

Axel Simon-3
Hi Paul,

On Dec 13, 2010, at 17:01, Hudak, Paul wrote:

> Dear All:
>
> My research group is paying $200/month to maintain the old
> haskell.org at Yale, and we cannot continue doing this indefinitely
> -- indeed, I had hoped that we could have turned off the machine by
> now.  I propose that we shut down the old server on Jan 31, 2011.
> Hopefully this will give everyone adequate time to move their files.

Admittedly, I should have backed up my website a long time ago. I've
just tried to do that and found that the disk of your sever is
completely full. I now wonder if the backup is actually complete. I'll
just backup what's there. So I guess this is a warning to other people.

Cheers,
Axel

Ian Lynagh

Hi Paul,

On Mon, Dec 13, 2010 at 11:01:49AM -0500, Hudak, Paul wrote:

> indeed, I had hoped that we could have turned off the machine by now.

Sorry it's taken us so long to get there.

> I propose that we shut down the old server on Jan 31, 2011.

We were actually talking about this last night on the infrastructure
list, and as Don said, we were going to suggest the end of December for
the shutdown.

Thanks
Ian

Re: Please help me to reconstruct the Yarrow website! Re: New haskell.org server

Hudak, Paul
Ok, this sounds good to me.  Thanks to everyone who helped with the transition.

Best wishes,   -Paul

Dear Mr. Hudak,

I understand the need for a change with respect to the Haskell server
and would be very grateful if you will run the old server also in
January 2011.
(Recently I have written some mails concerning the migration problems
to Haskell.org.)
Than I can try to transfer the Yarrow homepage until the end of January.

Kind regards

Frank Rosemeier

Am 13.12.2010 um 17:01 schrieb Hudak, Paul:

> Dear All:
>
> My research group is paying $200/month to maintain the old
> haskell.org at Yale, and we cannot continue doing this indefinitely
> -- indeed, I had hoped that we could have turned off the machine by
> now.  I propose that we shut down the old server on Jan 31, 2011.
> Hopefully this will give everyone adequate time to move their files.
>
> Best,
>
>     -Paul Hudak

More work to be done re: haskell.org move?

Brent Yorgey-2
On Mon, Dec 13, 2010 at 10:35:22AM -0800, Don Stewart wrote:
> Hi Paul,
>
> The move is complete. There are no haskell.org services running there
> now. You could shut down the machine in December if you wish.

Everyone keeps saying "the move is complete" but I'm not sure it's
really true.  I understand in theory that people were given ample time
and warning to migrate content, but in practice it has not worked.
Off the top of my head I know of at least

  haskell.org/arrows
  haskell.org/gtk2hs,

two key pieces of infrastructure/knowledge that have not made the move
and that people have asked about in the last few days.  Are there any
plans to copy over things like this?  Relying on "maintiners" to do it
has obviously not worked.  I stand ready to help but am not quite sure
what needs to happen from a technical point of view.

-Brent

> -- Don
>
> paul.hudak:
> > Dear All:
> >
> > My research group is paying $200/month to maintain the old haskell.org
> > at Yale, and we cannot continue doing this indefinitely -- indeed, I
> > had hoped that we could have turned off the machine by now.  I propose
> > that we shut down the old server on Jan 31, 2011.  Hopefully this will
> > give everyone adequate time to move their files.
> >
> > Best,
> >
> >     -Paul Hudak

Re: More work to be done re: haskell.org move?

Axel Simon-3
Hi Brent,

On 14.12.2010, at 16:02, Brent Yorgey wrote:

> On Mon, Dec 13, 2010 at 10:35:22AM -0800, Don Stewart wrote:
>> Hi Paul,
>>
>> The move is complete. There are no haskell.org services running there
>> now. You could shut down the machine in December if you wish.
>
> Everyone keeps saying "the move is complete" but I'm not sure it's
> really true.  I understand in theory that people were given ample time
> and warning to migrate content, but in practice it has not worked.
> Off the top of my head I know of at least
>
>  haskell.org/arrows
>  haskell.org/gtk2hs,
>
> two key pieces of infrastructure/knowledge that have not made the move
> and that people have asked about in the last few days.  Are there any
> plans to copy over things like this?  Relying on "maintiners" to do it
> has obviously not worked.  I stand ready to help but am not quite sure
> what needs to happen from a technical point of view.

Wrt Gtk2Hs, I've copied the files but I think I need to dump the data
base that backed up the WordPress CMS. I have no clue about these
things which led me to ignore the migration in the hope that
everything would be fine. I think I need somebody with (My)SQL
knowledge to install a server on community.haskell.org and to copy
over the database contents from the oldhaskell.org server.

After that, I can have a stab at getting WordPress running again
against the reinstated database content. So if anybody (with root
access?) can do the mirgration of the content, then that would be swell.

Cheers,
Axel

> -Brent
>

>> -- Don
>>
>> paul.hudak:
>>> Dear All:
>>>
>>> My research group is paying $200/month to maintain the old
>>> haskell.org
>>> at Yale, and we cannot continue doing this indefinitely -- indeed, I
>>> had hoped that we could have turned off the machine by now.  I
>>> propose
>>> that we shut down the old server on Jan 31, 2011.  Hopefully this
>>> will
>>> give everyone adequate time to move their files.
>>>
>>> Best,
>>>
>>>    -Paul Hudak

Ross Paterson
On Tue, Dec 14, 2010 at 10:02:29AM -0500, Brent Yorgey wrote:

> Everyone keeps saying "the move is complete" but I'm not sure it's
> really true.  I understand in theory that people were given ample time
> and warning to migrate content, but in practice it has not worked.
> Off the top of my head I know of at least
>
>   haskell.org/arrows
>   haskell.org/gtk2hs,
>
> two key pieces of infrastructure/knowledge that have not made the move
> and that people have asked about in the last few days.

Sorry, arrows is now done.  Presumably someone has taken an image of
/var/www/html/haskell from the old server in case we missed anything else.

Re: More work to be done re: haskell.org move?

Claus Reinke
> Everyone keeps saying "the move is complete" but I'm not sure it's
> really true.  I understand in theory that people were given ample time
> and warning to migrate content, but in practice it has not worked.
> .. Are there any
> plans to copy over things like this?  Relying on "maintiners" to do it
> has obviously not worked.  I stand ready to help but am not quite sure
> what needs to happen from a technical point of view.

Thanks! It would be good to get an idea of the amount of damage,
in terms of differences between old and new server, before the old
server goes offline (has the offline backup been verified, btw? and
does it include all non-wiki content as well, such as accounts to be
deleted, and tools pages?):

- for static content, an rsync *dry-run* on the server directories
    would give an idea of differences, provided those directories
    are somehow identifiable (not spread over user accounts)

- for dynamic content, web-crawling both servers and comparing
    the availabe URLs might be necessary (the problem here would
    be to identify all roots for crawling - with multiple haskell.org
    servers, not everything on www.haskell.org might be linked
    from somewhere on www.haskell.org; eg, non-wiki pages for
    hackage packages or Haskell tools..)

- checking the server logs for the new server will only give a
    partial picture, but using the server logs for the old server,
    and checking whether all successful URL requests also work
    on the new server might help to spot gaps (build a Map of
    new-server URLs, check old-server log URLs for presence
    in that Map)

Then posting the list of missing URLs here might alert those
who care about them (or not, but at least fewer things would
disappear silently). It would at least give some concrete idea
of how complete the move really is.

Claus

Re: More work to be done re: haskell.org move?

Henrik Nilsson
Hi,

 > Then posting the list of missing URLs here might alert those
 > who care about them (or not, but at least fewer things would
 > disappear silently).

OK, here are a few broken links I happen to care about:
Old Haskell Workshop proceedings, including the very first one.

They are on the Haskell Symposium web page:

http://www.haskell.org/haskell-symposium/

The links that do not work are:

   * The 1995 proceedings:

http://www.haskell.org/haskell-workshop/1995/HW1995-Proceedings.pdf

   * The 2000 papers:

http://www.haskell.org/haskell-workshop/2000/papers.html

In the latter case, presumably the papers themselves also need
to move across.

And the links should perhaps be updated to point to "haskell-symposium"
as well. (And no, as far as I can tell, it is not enough to to simply
replace "haskell-workshop" with "haskell-symposium".)

There are a number of other broken proceedings dependences, but they
are external.

Additionally, all links for the Haskell Workshop web pages,
from 1995 to 2007 inclusive, are broken.

Also, the www.haskell.org/yampa page is gone. Very out of date,
no  doubt, but even so. Sorry, probably a FAQ, but this move
has essentially passed me by: any way I can get at the old
content before the old server is decommissioned?

Best,

/Henrik

--
Henrik Nilsson
School of Computer Science

On Tue, Dec 14, 2010 at 08:48:47PM +0000, Henrik Nilsson wrote:
> Also, the www.haskell.org/yampa page is gone. Very out of date,
> no  doubt, but even so. Sorry, probably a FAQ, but this move
> has essentially passed me by: any way I can get at the old
> content before the old server is decommissioned?

The old machine is still at haskell.cs.yale.edu and your files are
under /var/www/html/haskell/.

On Mon, Dec 13, 2010 at 8:01 AM, Hudak, Paul <[hidden email]> wrote:
> My research group is paying $200/month to maintain the old haskell.org at Yale, and we cannot continue doing this indefinitely -- indeed, I had hoped that we could have turned off the machine by now.  I propose that we shut down the old server on Jan 31, 2011.  Hopefully this will give everyone adequate time to move their files.

Oh, for goodness' sake. Put a tarball somewhere and I'll put up a
mirror for the laggards. It can stay there for years for all I care.