PolyKinds, Control.Category and GHC 7.6.1

PolyKinds, Control.Category and GHC 7.6.1

Austin Seipp-4
I presume people are still interested in this. I actually just ran
into Category's non poly-kinded-ness the other day (while attempting
to make a Category instance for promoted pairs) and found this email
in my history.

Can we schedule this for 7.8.1? There's -plenty- of time, and the
addendum to Control.Category that Edward posted originally is pretty
much all that is needed. If that sounds OK, I can post a patch for
review or commit it directly to base.

On Tue, Aug 14, 2012 at 6:14 AM, Simon Peyton-Jones
<simonpj at microsoft.com> wrote:

> | FWIW PolyKinds in 7.4 is rough, and I had experiences where enabling it
> | led to compile failures in downstream modules, so this wouldn't
> | necessarily have been painless. Hopefully with 7.6 it will be.
>
> PolyKinds is not an advertised feature of 7.4, so you should absolutely not rely on it working in 7.4.  But it IS an advertised feature for 7.6 and should work flawlessly.  (If not, yell.)
>
> Simon

Austin - PGP: 4096R/0x91384671

PolyKinds, Control.Category and GHC 7.6.1

Simon Peyton Jones
Fine by me.. it's a library question at this point, so if the librarians are happy so am I

Simon

Microsoft Research Limited (company number 03369488) is registered in England and Wales
Registered office 21 Station Road, Cambridge, CB1 2FB

Also, apologies for reviving a thread. I also did not include Edward's
original message for better context. It is inline below.

--------------------------
Would it be possible to add something like

{-# LANGUAGE CPP #-}
#if defined(__GLASGOW_HASKELL__) && __GLASGOW_HASKELL__ >= 704
{-# LANGUAGE PolyKinds #-}
#endif

to the top of Control.Category before the 7.6.1 final release?

Control.Category.Category is pretty much the only type in base that
directly benefits from PolyKinds without any code changes, but without
enabling the extension there nobody can define categories for kinds
other than *, and most interesting categories actually have more
exotic kinds.

I only noticed that it wasn't there in the release candidate just now.

-Edward Kmett
--------------------------

Austin - PGP: 4096R/0x91384671

PolyKinds, Control.Category and GHC 7.6.1

Austin Seipp-4
Very well then. If there are no objections in the typical 2wk time
frame*, I will craft a patch to base and commit it to fix this.

* Technically, some might consider this proposal open for 9 months.
I'm new to library changes however, so I'll go by all the rules as I
should. :)

On Thu, May 16, 2013 at 11:02 AM, Edward Kmett <ekmett at gmail.com> wrote:

> As noted by Simon, the bound on that should be >= 706 though.
>

> On Thu, May 16, 2013 at 12:02 PM, Austin Seipp <aseipp at pobox.com> wrote:
>>
>> Also, apologies for reviving a thread. I also did not include Edward's
>> original message for better context. It is inline below.
>>
>> --------------------------
>> Would it be possible to add something like
>>
>> {-# LANGUAGE CPP #-}
>> #if defined(__GLASGOW_HASKELL__) && __GLASGOW_HASKELL__ >= 704
>> {-# LANGUAGE PolyKinds #-}
>> #endif
>>
>> to the top of Control.Category before the 7.6.1 final release?
>>
>> Control.Category.Category is pretty much the only type in base that
>> directly benefits from PolyKinds without any code changes, but without
>> enabling the extension there nobody can define categories for kinds
>> other than *, and most interesting categories actually have more
>> exotic kinds.
>>
>> I only noticed that it wasn't there in the release candidate just now.
>>
>> -Edward Kmett
>> --------------------------
>>

>> --
>> Regards,
>> Austin - PGP: 4096R/0x91384671

Austin - PGP: 4096R/0x91384671

PolyKinds, Control.Category and GHC 7.6.1

Austin Seipp-4
This is now done:

commit b1fc62762c56ccaa536d41b49a2aa0866e7420f7
Author: Austin Seipp <aseipp at pobox.com>
Date:   Thu May 30 07:33:01 2013 -0500

    Enable PolyKinds for Control.Category.

    This change will allow us to make various new things instances of
    Category, such as promoted tuples.

    Original discussion from libraries at haskell.org:

      http://www.haskell.org/pipermail/libraries/2012-August/018268.html

    Fell off the radar. No complaints in the 2 week period since being
    brought up again:

      http://www.haskell.org/pipermail/libraries/2013-May/019845.html

    Patch from Edward Kmett (essentially.)

    Authored-by: Edward Kmett <ekmett at gmail.com>