Potential improvements for CSE, strictness analyzer, let-floating

Potential improvements for CSE, strictness analyzer, let-floating

Peter Podlovics
Hi all,

During the summer, as a university project, I would like to make some contributions to GHC. There are three topics in particular that piqued my interest: common subexpression elimination, strictness analysis, and let-floating.

I would like to ask you whether there is any room for improvement in these parts of the compiler. Could you give me some pointers?

Thanks in advance,
Peter

Re: Potential improvements for CSE, strictness analyzer, let-floating

GHC - devs mailing list
Hi Peter,

as a start, here are few tickets concerning CSE:
https://ghc.haskell.org/trac/ghc/query?status=!closed&keywords=~CSE

I'm not sure if there are keywords for strictness analysis or
let-floating on Trac. Here's the full list of keywords:
https://ghc.haskell.org/trac/ghc/report/25?max=500.

Hope that helps,

> Hi all,
>
> During the summer, as a university project, I would like to make some
> contributions to GHC. There are three topics in particular that piqued my
> interest: common subexpression elimination, strictness analysis, and
> let-floating.
>
> I would like to ask you whether there is any room for improvement in these
> parts of the compiler. Could you give me some pointers?
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Peter

Re: Potential improvements for CSE, strictness analyzer, let-floating

Peter Podlovics
Thanks for the trac tickets about CSE. However, I would like to get some advice on how these features can be improved on generally. Are there any known limitations or areas where they are lacking in some aspect, or feature requests associated with them? Something worthy of a couple month long project.

Regards,
Peter

On Sun, May 13, 2018 at 8:35 PM, Simon Jakobi <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Peter,

as a start, here are few tickets concerning CSE:
https://ghc.haskell.org/trac/ghc/query?status=!closed&keywords=~CSE

I'm not sure if there are keywords for strictness analysis or
let-floating on Trac. Here's the full list of keywords:
https://ghc.haskell.org/trac/ghc/report/25?max=500.

Hope that helps,

> Hi all,
>
> During the summer, as a university project, I would like to make some
> contributions to GHC. There are three topics in particular that piqued my
> interest: common subexpression elimination, strictness analysis, and
> let-floating.
>
> I would like to ask you whether there is any room for improvement in these
> parts of the compiler. Could you give me some pointers?
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Peter

RE: Potential improvements for CSE, strictness analyzer, let-floating

GHC - devs mailing list

I’ve always thought that so-called “late lambda lifting” is not-very-well-explored candidate for pref improvement.  Nick Frisby did some preliminary work, but it would (I believe) reward some careful attention.

https://ghc.haskell.org/trac/ghc/wiki/LateLamLift

Simon