Preparing for v0.12 Release

Peter Jones
This is a notice that I'm actively working on the 0.12 release and a
call to action for the xmonad community.

As part of this release I've reformatted the README files as Markdown
for nicer display on both Hackage and GitHub.  I've also created
CHANGES.md files since Hackage supports package change logs.

Please take a moment to review these files, especially the change logs.
Let me know if anything is missing or incorrect.  I believe we should be
able to make a release this week.  That means you don't have much time
to review these files.

  https://github.com/pjones/xmonad/tree/release-0.12

  https://github.com/pjones/xmonad-contrib/tree/release-0.12

Thanks!

--
Peter Jones, Founder, Devalot.com
Defending the honor of good code

Re: Preparing for v0.12 Release

Adam Vogt

Hi Peter,

Thanks for taking this on.

It seems like CHANGES.md is a slightly less detailed version of https://wiki.haskell.org/Xmonad/Notable_changes_since_0.11 . Probably they could reference each other, if they both should continue to exist.

Cheers,
Adam

adam vogt <[hidden email]> writes:
> It seems like CHANGES.md is a slightly less detailed version of
> https://wiki.haskell.org/Xmonad/Notable_changes_since_0.11 . Probably they
> could reference each other, if they both should continue to exist.

It probably doesn't make a lot of sense for both to exist.  I personally
prefer CHANGES.md since:

  1) Hackage will show the file, and Hackage seems like a great place to
     display a list of changes

  2) Being part of the repository, we could ask everyone to make
     appropriate updates to the CHANGES.md file with each pull
     request/patch

That said, I'm open to other ideas.  I'll incorporate details from the
wiki into CHANGES.md file for now, assuming that the wiki version is
going to die.

--
Peter Jones, Founder, Devalot.com
Defending the honor of good code

Re: Preparing for v0.12 Release

Peter Jones
adam vogt <[hidden email]> writes:
> It seems like CHANGES.md is a slightly less detailed version of
> https://wiki.haskell.org/Xmonad/Notable_changes_since_0.11 . Probably they
> could reference each other, if they both should continue to exist.

I've pulled in the notes from the wiki and added additional details:

  https://github.com/pjones/xmonad-contrib/blob/release-0.12/CHANGES.md