Profiling

rodrigo.bonifacio

Dear all,

I am trying to compile a project with the "-prof -auto-all" profile options. But the compiler returns:

"Could not find module `Text.ParserCombinators.Parsec.Language':
....Perhaps you haven't installed the profiling libraries for package `parsec-3.1.0'?
....Use -v to see a list of the files searched for."

When I build the project without the "-prof -auto-all", the project compiles without any error or warning. I build GHC (6.10.4) from source, without changing any build option.

Thanks in advance for any help,

Rodrigo.

Re: Profiling

Ivan Lazar Miljenovic
"rodrigo.bonifacio" <[hidden email]> writes:
> "Could not find module `Text.ParserCombinators.Parsec.Language':
> ....Perhaps you haven't installed the profiling libraries for package `parsec-3.1.0'?
> ....Use -v to see a list of the files searched for."

How did you install parsec?  You need to rebuild it with profiling
library support.  If you used cabal-install, you have two options:

1) set library-profiling to True in ~/.cabal/config and then
    cabal install parsec --reinstall
2) cabal install parsec --reinstall --enable-library-profiling

> When I build the project without the "-prof -auto-all", the project
> compiles without any error or warning. I build GHC (6.10.4) from
> source, without changing any build option.

This has nothing to do with GHC.

--
Ivan Lazar Miljenovic
[hidden email]

Re: Profiling

C K Kashyap
Hi Ivan,
I tried doing
> cabal install "parsec >= 3" --reinstall --enable-library-profiling
This complained about bytestring ... so I did this -
> cabal install "bytestring" --reinstall --enable-library-profiling
And this complained about base -
Data/ByteString.hs:278:7:
    Could not find module `GHC.ST':
      Perhaps you haven't installed the profiling libraries for package `base'?
      Use -v to see a list of the files searched for.
bytestring-0.9.1.5 failed during the building phase. The exception was:
exit: ExitFailure 1
[kashyap@trinity318 ~]$ cabal install "base" --reinstall --enable-library-profiling
Resolving dependencies...
cabal: internal error: impossible

Am I missing something?

On Tue, Apr 20, 2010 at 6:59 PM, Ivan Lazar Miljenovic <[hidden email]> wrote:
"rodrigo.bonifacio" <[hidden email]> writes:
> "Could not find module `Text.ParserCombinators.Parsec.Language':
> ....Perhaps you haven't installed the profiling libraries for package `parsec-3.1.0'?
> ....Use -v to see a list of the files searched for."

How did you install parsec?  You need to rebuild it with profiling
library support.  If you used cabal-install, you have two options:

1) set library-profiling to True in ~/.cabal/config and then
   cabal install parsec --reinstall
2) cabal install parsec --reinstall --enable-library-profiling

> When I build the project without the "-prof -auto-all", the project
> compiles without any error or warning. I build GHC (6.10.4) from
> source, without changing any build option.

This has nothing to do with GHC.

--
Ivan Lazar Miljenovic
[hidden email]
IvanMiljenovic.wordpress.com

Kashyap

Re: Profiling

Daniel Fischer-4
Am Dienstag 20 April 2010 18:59:23 schrieb C K Kashyap:

> Hi Ivan,
> I tried doing
>
> > cabal install "parsec >= 3" --reinstall --enable-library-profiling
>
> This complained about bytestring ... so I did this -
>
> > cabal install "bytestring" --reinstall --enable-library-profiling
>
> And this complained about base -
> Data/ByteString.hs:278:7:
>     Could not find module `GHC.ST':
>       Perhaps you haven't installed the profiling libraries for package
> `base'?
>       Use -v to see a list of the files searched for.
> bytestring-0.9.1.5 failed during the building phase. The exception was:
> exit: ExitFailure 1
> [kashyap@trinity318 ~]$ cabal install "base" --reinstall
> --enable-library-profiling
> Resolving dependencies...
> cabal: internal error: impossible
>

> Am I missing something?

You cannot reinstall or upgrade core libs (basically, what comes with the
compiler).
If your GHC came from a system package (and I think the binaries from the
GHC page include profiling libs and they're built by default when building
GHC from source, so you wouldn't have that problem), you probably don't
have installed the package with the profiling libraries, something like

yum/apt-get install libghc??-prof

should get you the profiling libraries for base, bytestring and a few
others, then
cabal install "parsec >= 3" --reinstall --enable-library-profiling
should work.

Re: Profiling

C K Kashyap
Thanks Daniel, that worked.