Proposal: Include InstanceSigs

Joachim Breitner-2
Hi,

looking at Haskell prime’s trac, I noticed that there is no formal
proposal to include InstaceSigs¹ in the next language revision.

As a teacher who uses live coding in a text editor, I usually write out
all type signatures. Not being able to do that for instance methods is
a minor annoyance.

So I guess by sending this mail I started the proposal process
properly?

Greetings,
Joachim

¹ https://downloads.haskell.org/~ghc/latest/docs/html/users_guide/glasgow_exts.html#ghc-flag--XInstanceSigs

--
Joachim “nomeata” Breitner
  [hidden email]https://www.joachim-breitner.de/

Re: Proposal: Include InstanceSigs

Haskell - Haskell-prime mailing list
On 01.11.2016 16:59, Joachim Breitner wrote:
> As a teacher who uses live coding in a text editor, I usually write out
> all type signatures. Not being able to do that for instance methods is
> a minor annoyance.
>
> So I guess by sending this mail I started the proposal process
> properly?

Hi Joachim,

great to see you tune in! We’re currently trying out a Github-based process. If
you want, you could write up a proposal here [1], or at least make a reminder
post-it-ticket here [2] so maybe someone else does. :-)

Greetings,
David

[1]: https://github.com/haskell/rfcs
[2]: https://github.com/haskell/rfcs/projects/1

--
My GPG keys: https://keybase.io/quchen

Am Dienstag, den 01.11.2016, 19:43 +0100 schrieb David Luposchainsky:

> On 01.11.2016 16:59, Joachim Breitner wrote:
> > As a teacher who uses live coding in a text editor, I usually write out
> > all type signatures. Not being able to do that for instance methods is
> > a minor annoyance.
> >
> > So I guess by sending this mail I started the proposal process
> > properly?
>
> Hi Joachim,
>
> great to see you tune in! We’re currently trying out a Github-based process. If
> you want, you could write up a proposal here [1], or at least make a reminder
> post-it-ticket here [2] so maybe someone else does. :-)
done:

https://github.com/haskell/rfcs/pull/13

I did not copy the detailed description from the GHC manual to the
proposal yet. Is it ok to defer that until the proposal has been
approved, or at least until approval is known to be likely?

Greetings,
Joachim

--
Joachim “nomeata” Breitner
  [hidden email]https://www.joachim-breitner.de/
  XMPP: [hidden email] • OpenPGP-Key: 0xF0FBF51F
  Debian Developer: [hidden email]

Re: Proposal: Include InstanceSigs

Mario Blazevic-2
On 2016-11-01 05:55 PM, Joachim Breitner wrote:

> done:
>
> https://github.com/haskell/rfcs/pull/13
>
> I did not copy the detailed description from the GHC manual to the
> proposal yet. Is it ok to defer that until the proposal has been
> approved, or at least until approval is known to be likely?

        I see no point in copying the detailed description verbatim. You can
just link to it, unless you intend to change something therein.