Purpose of the CODEOWNERS file

Matthew Pickering
There have been a flurry of MRs to add ownership to the CODEOWNERS
file but it's not clear to me what this file does.

It links to this page: https://docs.gitlab.com/ee/user/project/code_owners.html

Which explains the syntax quite thoroughly but doesn't as far as I can
see explain how this information is used?

So before I add myself to some files, what does adding ownership actually do?

Cheers,

Matt

Re: Purpose of the CODEOWNERS file

Ben Gamari-2
Matthew Pickering <[hidden email]> writes:

> There have been a flurry of MRs to add ownership to the CODEOWNERS
> file but it's not clear to me what this file does.
>
> It links to this page: https://docs.gitlab.com/ee/user/project/code_owners.html
>
> Which explains the syntax quite thoroughly but doesn't as far as I can
> see explain how this information is used?
>
> So before I add myself to some files, what does adding ownership actually do?

When you open a merge request GitLab assigns a set of appropriate
reviewers. This set is determined by the owners of the files your merge
request touches [1].

Cheers,

- Ben

[1] https://docs.gitlab.com/ee/user/project/merge_requests/merge_request_approvals.html#eligible-approvers