RC Status

Austin Seipp-5
Hello all,

I apologize for the lack of updates recently. I'm well aware people
are a bit ready to move on, so the good news is we should be able to
do so shortly.

Simon and I talked last week, and for the RC to go ahead, we've
decided to punt a few tickets for the moment. The biggest hurdle is
dynamic support on Windows, which we've decided to punt.

I have put together a page detailing the current status with some more
detail about what's going on:

https://ghc.haskell.org/trac/ghc/wiki/Status/GHC-7.8

I spent a lot of time testing my (just merged) branch on several machines.

The highlights for interested parties:

 * OS X looks pretty good across the board, minus a `./validate` bug I
need to track down on Mavericks. 10.8 still needs to be tested (this
will hopefully happen soon.) Otherwise it seems to be fine.
 * With the dynamic stuff punted, Windows looks pretty good right now
too. There is some minor testsuite fallout I need to investigate. One
of Herbert's patches broke the 64bit windows build, and I'm bisecting
it. Then I'll test a win64 bootstrap.
 * Linux, as usual, seems just fine, and I just need to finish the
i386 bootstrap.
 * I need to update some performance numbers.

There is one final bug to fix, #7602, which is a performance
regression for OS X, but I'm investigating the `./validate` bug on
Mavericks first.

Once these look green across the board, I speculate I'll begin to make
the RC. I expect this to happen ASAP (within the week.)

Austin Seipp, Haskell Consultant

RC Status

Kazu Yamamoto (山本和彦)
Hi,

For Mac, we should verify darchon's Cabal patch for dynamic linking in
#8266. darchon's patch does not works well in my Mavericks.

If you guys are Mac users, please test darchon's patch.

Also, a problem exists in FreeBSD:

I lost my FreeBSD environment, so I cannot help fixing #8451 at this
moment.

--Kazu

> Hello all,
>
> I apologize for the lack of updates recently. I'm well aware people
> are a bit ready to move on, so the good news is we should be able to
> do so shortly.
>
> Simon and I talked last week, and for the RC to go ahead, we've
> decided to punt a few tickets for the moment. The biggest hurdle is
> dynamic support on Windows, which we've decided to punt.
>
> I have put together a page detailing the current status with some more
> detail about what's going on:
>
> https://ghc.haskell.org/trac/ghc/wiki/Status/GHC-7.8
>
> I spent a lot of time testing my (just merged) branch on several machines.
>
> The highlights for interested parties:
>
>  * OS X looks pretty good across the board, minus a `./validate` bug I
> need to track down on Mavericks. 10.8 still needs to be tested (this
> will hopefully happen soon.) Otherwise it seems to be fine.
>  * With the dynamic stuff punted, Windows looks pretty good right now
> too. There is some minor testsuite fallout I need to investigate. One
> of Herbert's patches broke the 64bit windows build, and I'm bisecting
> it. Then I'll test a win64 bootstrap.
>  * Linux, as usual, seems just fine, and I just need to finish the
> i386 bootstrap.
>  * I need to update some performance numbers.
>
> There is one final bug to fix, #7602, which is a performance
> regression for OS X, but I'm investigating the `./validate` bug on
> Mavericks first.
>
> Once these look green across the board, I speculate I'll begin to make
> the RC. I expect this to happen ASAP (within the week.)
>
> --
> Regards,
>
> Austin Seipp, Haskell Consultant
> Well-Typed LLP, http://www.well-typed.com/

RC Status

Páli Gábor János
On Tue, Jan 14, 2014 at 1:23 PM, Kazu Yamamoto <kazu at iij.ad.jp> wrote:
> Also, a problem exists in FreeBSD:
>
>         https://ghc.haskell.org/trac/ghc/ticket/8451

Thanks for the reminder, I will fix it this week.

RC Status

Austin Seipp-5
Hi Pali,

Thanks a lot. I will be branching soon. Please let me know if you need
me to merge anything to the release branch.

On Tue, Jan 14, 2014 at 6:30 AM, P?li G?bor J?nos <pali.gabor at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Jan 14, 2014 at 1:23 PM, Kazu Yamamoto <kazu at iij.ad.jp> wrote:
>> Also, a problem exists in FreeBSD:
>>
>>         https://ghc.haskell.org/trac/ghc/ticket/8451
>
> Thanks for the reminder, I will fix it this week.

Austin Seipp, Haskell Consultant

RC Status

Austin Seipp-5
Hi Kazu,

Yes, I'll test Christiaan's patch and try to get it in today.

On Tue, Jan 14, 2014 at 6:23 AM, Kazu Yamamoto <kazu at iij.ad.jp> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> For Mac, we should verify darchon's Cabal patch for dynamic linking in
> #8266. darchon's patch does not works well in my Mavericks.
>
>         https://ghc.haskell.org/trac/ghc/ticket/8266
>
> If you guys are Mac users, please test darchon's patch.
>

> Also, a problem exists in FreeBSD:
>
>         https://ghc.haskell.org/trac/ghc/ticket/8451
>
> I lost my FreeBSD environment, so I cannot help fixing #8451 at this
> moment.
>
> --Kazu
>
>> Hello all,
>>
>> I apologize for the lack of updates recently. I'm well aware people
>> are a bit ready to move on, so the good news is we should be able to
>> do so shortly.
>>
>> Simon and I talked last week, and for the RC to go ahead, we've
>> decided to punt a few tickets for the moment. The biggest hurdle is
>> dynamic support on Windows, which we've decided to punt.
>>
>> I have put together a page detailing the current status with some more
>> detail about what's going on:
>>
>> https://ghc.haskell.org/trac/ghc/wiki/Status/GHC-7.8
>>
>> I spent a lot of time testing my (just merged) branch on several machines.
>>
>> The highlights for interested parties:
>>
>>  * OS X looks pretty good across the board, minus a `./validate` bug I
>> need to track down on Mavericks. 10.8 still needs to be tested (this
>> will hopefully happen soon.) Otherwise it seems to be fine.
>>  * With the dynamic stuff punted, Windows looks pretty good right now
>> too. There is some minor testsuite fallout I need to investigate. One
>> of Herbert's patches broke the 64bit windows build, and I'm bisecting
>> it. Then I'll test a win64 bootstrap.
>>  * Linux, as usual, seems just fine, and I just need to finish the
>> i386 bootstrap.
>>  * I need to update some performance numbers.
>>
>> There is one final bug to fix, #7602, which is a performance
>> regression for OS X, but I'm investigating the `./validate` bug on
>> Mavericks first.
>>
>> Once these look green across the board, I speculate I'll begin to make
>> the RC. I expect this to happen ASAP (within the week.)
>>
>> --
>> Regards,
>>
>> Austin Seipp, Haskell Consultant
>> Well-Typed LLP, http://www.well-typed.com/

Austin Seipp, Haskell Consultant

RC Status

Carter Schonwald
I don't have access to a windows machine (at least not this week, may be
able to rectify that in a week or two ), but if there's some turn the crank
engineering that can be done anyways to help facilitate helping fix up the
windows sitch, I'm happy to volunteer some time turning the crank.

On Tuesday, January 14, 2014, Austin Seipp wrote:

> Hi Kazu,
>
> Yes, I'll test Christiaan's patch and try to get it in today.
>
> On Tue, Jan 14, 2014 at 6:23 AM, Kazu Yamamoto <kazu at iij.ad.jp<javascript:;>>
> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > For Mac, we should verify darchon's Cabal patch for dynamic linking in
> > #8266. darchon's patch does not works well in my Mavericks.
> >
> >         https://ghc.haskell.org/trac/ghc/ticket/8266
> >
> > If you guys are Mac users, please test darchon's patch.
> >

> > Also, a problem exists in FreeBSD:
> >
> >         https://ghc.haskell.org/trac/ghc/ticket/8451
> >
> > I lost my FreeBSD environment, so I cannot help fixing #8451 at this
> > moment.
> >
> > --Kazu
> >
> >> Hello all,
> >>
> >> I apologize for the lack of updates recently. I'm well aware people
> >> are a bit ready to move on, so the good news is we should be able to
> >> do so shortly.
> >>
> >> Simon and I talked last week, and for the RC to go ahead, we've
> >> decided to punt a few tickets for the moment. The biggest hurdle is
> >> dynamic support on Windows, which we've decided to punt.
> >>
> >> I have put together a page detailing the current status with some more
> >> detail about what's going on:
> >>
> >> https://ghc.haskell.org/trac/ghc/wiki/Status/GHC-7.8
> >>
> >> I spent a lot of time testing my (just merged) branch on several
> machines.
> >>
> >> The highlights for interested parties:
> >>
> >>  * OS X looks pretty good across the board, minus a `./validate` bug I
> >> need to track down on Mavericks. 10.8 still needs to be tested (this
> >> will hopefully happen soon.) Otherwise it seems to be fine.
> >>  * With the dynamic stuff punted, Windows looks pretty good right now
> >> too. There is some minor testsuite fallout I need to investigate. One
> >> of Herbert's patches broke the 64bit windows build, and I'm bisecting
> >> it. Then I'll test a win64 bootstrap.
> >>  * Linux, as usual, seems just fine, and I just need to finish the
> >> i386 bootstrap.
> >>  * I need to update some performance numbers.
> >>
> >> There is one final bug to fix, #7602, which is a performance
> >> regression for OS X, but I'm investigating the `./validate` bug on
> >> Mavericks first.
> >>
> >> Once these look green across the board, I speculate I'll begin to make
> >> the RC. I expect this to happen ASAP (within the week.)
> >>
> >> --
> >> Regards,
> >>
> >> Austin Seipp, Haskell Consultant
> >> Well-Typed LLP, http://www.well-typed.com/

> Regards,
>
> Austin Seipp, Haskell Consultant
> Well-Typed LLP, http://www.well-typed.com/

An HTML attachment was scrubbed...

RC Status

Karel Gardas

Austin,

if I may lobby for Solaris a little bit: current HEAD is broken on
Solaris due to a bug in Cabal, which is already fixed in Cabal HEAD and
even promised to be merged into Cabal 1.18 branch. IMHO the fix is
no-brainer but anyway, I've created ticket for this:
https://ghc.haskell.org/trac/ghc/ticket/8670 with whole history of
investigation and all necessary links so every required information is
on one place...

Thanks!
Karel

RC Status

Páli Gábor János
Hello there,

On Tue, Jan 14, 2014 at 5:01 PM, Austin Seipp <austin at well-typed.com> wrote:
> Thanks a lot. I will be branching soon. Please let me know if you need
> me to merge anything to the release branch.

I have not seen a ghc-7.8 branch yet, but here are the hashes for the
commits I would merge:

1ad599ea241626f47006fa386e4aaf38dc91fdbb -- Fixes #8451
bcc5c953f80c53732172345639f30974b9862043 -- DYNAMIC_GHC_PROGRAMS=YES for FreeBSD
c3b8b3ab27f092c83e08915e3de0bde29321cd31 -- Minor fix in configure (I
have been using it in the FreeBSD ports tree)
0d90cbc988af31ff8ea35120203bd9d252d8055e -- Enable the LLVM codegen
for FreeBSD/amd64 (also used in the FreeBSD ports tree)

I have also run through your 7.8 RC checklist [1] and I would update
it with the following information:

- FreeBSD (i386): builds clean, validate works, bootstrapping works.
- FreeBSD (x86_64): builds clean, validate works, bootstrapping works.
- Dynamic GHCi is now enabled and works for both i386 and x86_64 on FreeBSD.

[1] https://ghc.haskell.org/trac/ghc/wiki/Status/GHC-7.8

RC Status

Jan Stolarek
I just filled a bug report for a compile-time crash that happens on HEAD:

Looks like this is fault of some dynamic stuff. I'm affraid that whatever the cause of this
problem is it might have large impact if we release stable GHC with this issue unfixed.

Janek

Dnia sobota, 18 stycznia 2014, P?li G?bor J?nos napisa?:

> Hello there,
>
> On Tue, Jan 14, 2014 at 5:01 PM, Austin Seipp <austin at well-typed.com> wrote:
> > Thanks a lot. I will be branching soon. Please let me know if you need
> > me to merge anything to the release branch.
>
> I have not seen a ghc-7.8 branch yet, but here are the hashes for the
> commits I would merge:
>
> 1ad599ea241626f47006fa386e4aaf38dc91fdbb -- Fixes #8451
> bcc5c953f80c53732172345639f30974b9862043 -- DYNAMIC_GHC_PROGRAMS=YES for
> FreeBSD c3b8b3ab27f092c83e08915e3de0bde29321cd31 -- Minor fix in configure
> (I have been using it in the FreeBSD ports tree)
> 0d90cbc988af31ff8ea35120203bd9d252d8055e -- Enable the LLVM codegen
> for FreeBSD/amd64 (also used in the FreeBSD ports tree)
>
> I have also run through your 7.8 RC checklist [1] and I would update
> it with the following information:
>
> - FreeBSD (i386): builds clean, validate works, bootstrapping works.
> - FreeBSD (x86_64): builds clean, validate works, bootstrapping works.
> - Dynamic GHCi is now enabled and works for both i386 and x86_64 on
> FreeBSD.
>
> [1] https://ghc.haskell.org/trac/ghc/wiki/Status/GHC-7.8

RC Status

Austin Seipp-5
Hi Jan,

I believe this is my fault (see the email I just sent to Mark about
some failures in HEAD.) Sorry about that!

On Mon, Jan 20, 2014 at 8:52 AM, Jan Stolarek <jan.stolarek at p.lodz.pl> wrote:

> I just filled a bug report for a compile-time crash that happens on HEAD:
>
> https://ghc.haskell.org/trac/ghc/ticket/8686
>
> Looks like this is fault of some dynamic stuff. I'm affraid that whatever the cause of this
> problem is it might have large impact if we release stable GHC with this issue unfixed.
>
> Janek
>
> Dnia sobota, 18 stycznia 2014, P?li G?bor J?nos napisa?:
>> Hello there,
>>
>> On Tue, Jan 14, 2014 at 5:01 PM, Austin Seipp <austin at well-typed.com> wrote:
>> > Thanks a lot. I will be branching soon. Please let me know if you need
>> > me to merge anything to the release branch.
>>
>> I have not seen a ghc-7.8 branch yet, but here are the hashes for the
>> commits I would merge:
>>
>> 1ad599ea241626f47006fa386e4aaf38dc91fdbb -- Fixes #8451
>> bcc5c953f80c53732172345639f30974b9862043 -- DYNAMIC_GHC_PROGRAMS=YES for
>> FreeBSD c3b8b3ab27f092c83e08915e3de0bde29321cd31 -- Minor fix in configure
>> (I have been using it in the FreeBSD ports tree)
>> 0d90cbc988af31ff8ea35120203bd9d252d8055e -- Enable the LLVM codegen
>> for FreeBSD/amd64 (also used in the FreeBSD ports tree)
>>
>> I have also run through your 7.8 RC checklist [1] and I would update
>> it with the following information:
>>
>> - FreeBSD (i386): builds clean, validate works, bootstrapping works.
>> - FreeBSD (x86_64): builds clean, validate works, bootstrapping works.
>> - Dynamic GHCi is now enabled and works for both i386 and x86_64 on
>> FreeBSD.
>>
>> [1] https://ghc.haskell.org/trac/ghc/wiki/Status/GHC-7.8

Austin Seipp, Haskell Consultant

RC Status

Jan Stolarek
Hi Austin,

Richard pointed out that one of your commits last week solved the problem. I wasn't using the
latest HEAD. My bad. I'm closing the ticket.

Janek

Dnia poniedzia?ek, 20 stycznia 2014, Austin Seipp napisa?: