RE: D1182: Implement improved error messages for ambiguous type variables (#10733)

RE: D1182: Implement improved error messages for ambiguous type variables (#10733)

Simon Peyton Jones
Edward

| Jan's injective type families commit is causing tcfail220 to fail, but
| that's unrelated to this ticket.

This is true.  I told Jan to commit anyway because tcfail220 is a "hsig" test, and
 a) I know that hsigs are in flux (although I am not clear about how)
 b) I don't understand them enough to fix.

So I hope it's ok to have broken this.  Jan and I can certainly help when you want to fix it.

Meanwhile would you mark it as expect-broken.  (Although I am not sure that it's worth opening a fresh ticket for it.)

thanks

Simon

Simon Marlow-7
On 03/09/2015 09:08, Simon Peyton Jones wrote:

> Edward
>
> | Jan's injective type families commit is causing tcfail220 to fail, but
> | that's unrelated to this ticket.
>
> This is true.  I told Jan to commit anyway because tcfail220 is a "hsig" test, and
>   a) I know that hsigs are in flux (although I am not clear about how)
>   b) I don't understand them enough to fix.
>
> So I hope it's ok to have broken this.  Jan and I can certainly help when you want to fix it.

In general we shouldn't commit anything that breaks validate, because
this causes problems for other developers.  The right thing to do would
be to mark it expect_broken before committing.

Cheers
Simon

> Meanwhile would you mark it as expect-broken.  (Although I am not sure that it's worth opening a fresh ticket for it.)
>
> thanks
>
> Simon

Jan Stolarek
> In general we shouldn't commit anything that breaks validate, because
> this causes problems for other developers.  The right thing to do would
> be to mark it expect_broken before committing.
Sorry for that. I was actually thinking about marking the test as expect_broken, but then the
problem would be completely hidden> I wanted to discuss a possible solution with Simon and Edward
first but it looks like Thomas already found a workaround.

Jan

Re: D1182: Implement improved error messages for ambiguous type variables (#10733)

Ben Gamari-2
Jan Stolarek <[hidden email]> writes:

>> In general we shouldn't commit anything that breaks validate, because
>> this causes problems for other developers.  The right thing to do would
>> be to mark it expect_broken before committing.
>
> Sorry for that. I was actually thinking about marking the test as
> expect_broken, but then the problem would be completely hidden> I
> wanted to discuss a possible solution with Simon and Edward first but
> it looks like Thomas already found a workaround.

Hiding the issue isn't a problem so long as there is a ticket opened to
describe the brokeness (and discuss potential solutions).

Cheers,

- Ben