REPL with visualisation

Ondrej Nekola
Hi
Just curious: is there some recommended "first choice" combination of
REPL and libs for (Apple) Swift styled "playgrounds"? (I have just seen
a fractalish coffee spill and remembered that I have not implemented
Mandelbrot set since high school and Pascal days and maybe it's time to
be a bit childish again).
Thanks
     Ondra 'satai' Nekola

Re: REPL with visualisation

Ondrej Nekola
I can (partially) answer myself: after a bit of experimenting iHaskell
(jupyter/ipython + haskell kernel - don't try to install this with
cabal, stack works. Don't forget to install native libraries) is quite
usable. There is great looking haskellformac (paid) software but as the
name suggests it's OS X only.
    OSN

> Hi
> Just curious: is there some recommended "first choice" combination of
> REPL and libs for (Apple) Swift styled "playgrounds"? (I have just
> seen a fractalish coffee spill and remembered that I have not
> implemented Mandelbrot set since high school and Pascal days and maybe
> it's time to be a bit childish again).
> Thanks
>     Ondra 'satai' Nekola
>     [hidden email]

Re: REPL with visualisation

emacstheviking
When I was learning it (still learning!) I just use emacs.

Top half is my code window, bottom half is a standard "M-x shell" then run ghci. It works. I've tried to use leksah but it is a little "busy" and doesn't really help to keep things simple when you are still learning, IMO anyway.

On 28 November 2015 at 15:41, Ondrej Nekola <[hidden email]> wrote:
I can (partially) answer myself: after a bit of experimenting iHaskell (jupyter/ipython + haskell kernel - don't try to install this with cabal, stack works. Don't forget to install native libraries) is quite usable. There is great looking haskellformac (paid) software but as the name suggests it's OS X only.
   OSN

Hi
Just curious: is there some recommended "first choice" combination of REPL and libs for (Apple) Swift styled "playgrounds"? (I have just seen a fractalish coffee spill and remembered that I have not implemented Mandelbrot set since high school and Pascal days and maybe it's time to be a bit childish again).
Thanks
    Ondra 'satai' Nekola

Re: REPL with visualisation

Sumit Sahrawat, Maths & Computing,
 IIT (BHU)
For emacs, the integrated REPL support in haskell-mode is pretty good.
The github wiki for haskell-mode gives a nice comprehensive overview of the features: https://github.com/haskell/haskell-mode/wiki/Haskell-Interactive-Mode

On 28 November 2015 at 21:40, Ondrej Nekola <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Regards

Sumit Sahrawat

Re: REPL with visualisation

emacstheviking
Ondrej,

It has just text. Have you seen this though...?

The hackage page...

and a YouTube video...

That might be of interest?!

All the best,
Sean.

On 28 November 2015 at 16:10, Ondrej Nekola <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Martin Vlk
Great to hear people still play with programming - I should do that more
myself! ;-)

Racket has a very nice REPL that lets you display nontextual data, such
as the plot utils for graphs here:
http://docs.racket-lang.org/plot/utils.html
Would be great to get something like this for Haskell.

Otherwise for the Mandelbrot set I'd imagine you could use the
"diagrams" package to specify the graphics using Haskell and then have
it rendered into a file that you load up into browser.

Then you can change the spec, re-generate file and reload in the browser.

M.

emacstheviking: