Re: [ANNOUNCE] GHC 8.2.1 available

Ben Gamari-3

Minor editorial note (thanks to everyone who brought this to my attention):

The URL listed in the announcement for the release notes isn't quite
right. The release notes can be found at,

> https://haskell.org/ghc/docs/8.2.1/html/users_guide/8.2.1-notes.html

Sorry for the confusion.

Cheers,

- Ben

Re: [ANNOUNCE] GHC 8.2.1 available

Evan Laforge
This seems like a silly question, but how can we install cabal-install
now?  The latest hackage version 1.24.0.2 has Cabal (>=1.24.2 &&
<1.25), but it looks like ghc Cabal is now at 2.*.

I ran into this because if I get:

% cabal install --only-dependencies
Resolving dependencies...
cabal: internal error when reading package index: failed to parse .cabal
fileThe package index or index cache is probably corrupt. Running cabal update
might fix it.

It seems to be triggered by having 'ekg' in the deps list, since if I
take it out then I get some other errors about packages not liking the
new base, which is true.  'ekg' also doesn't like the new base, but
"internal error" is not the clearest way to express that :)

It's frustrating that cabal-install still doesn't report the parse
error, even though the parse function returns one.  It just ignores
the ParseFailed case.  I was going to try fixing it and send a pull
request when I ran into the Cabal 2.* problem.