Re: [ANNOUNCE] GHC 8.2.2 release candidate 2

Re: [ANNOUNCE] GHC 8.2.2 release candidate 2

Ryan Scott
I built all of Stackage with this RC the other night and didn't observe any regressions. Hooray!

(Thanks to Doug Wilson for helping me get set up with his https://github.com/duog/build-stackage repo.)

Ryan S.

RE: [ANNOUNCE] GHC 8.2.2 release candidate 2

GHC - devs mailing list

Thank you for doing this!

I built all of Stackage with this RC the other night and didn't observe any regressions. Hooray!

(Thanks to Doug Wilson for helping me get set up with his https://github.com/duog/build-stackage repo.)

Ryan S.

Re: [ANNOUNCE] GHC 8.2.2 release candidate 2

Peter Trommler-3
Hi Ben,

Building and packaging RC2 on openSUSE works on all openSUSE platforms.
I noticed, however, that versions of Cabal and process were downgraded
from the respective versions in ghc 8.2.1:

Cabal   2.0.0.2 -> 2.0.0.0
process 1.6.1.0 -> 1.6.0.0

Peter

> On 31. Oct 2017, at 19:15, Ben Gamari <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

> Hello everyone,
>
> The GHC team is very pleased to announce the second candidate of the
> 8.2.2 release of the Glasgow Haskell Compiler. Source and binary
> distributions are available at
>
>   https://downloads.haskell.org/~ghc/8.2.2-rc2/
>
> [...]
> As always, please report any issues you encounter.
>
> Happy testing,
>
> - Ben

Re: [ANNOUNCE] GHC 8.2.2 release candidate 2

Ben Gamari-3
Peter Trommler <[hidden email]> writes:

> Hi Ben,
>
> Building and packaging RC2 on openSUSE works on all openSUSE platforms.
> I noticed, however, that versions of Cabal and process were downgraded
> from the respective versions in ghc 8.2.1:
>
> Cabal   2.0.0.2 -> 2.0.0.0
> process 1.6.1.0 -> 1.6.0.0

Thanks for pointing this out, Peter.

It seems that my source distribution script cleans submodules, but
doesn't actually run `git submodule update`, hence the issue. Quite
unfortunate and yet another argument for building these artifacts via
CI.

I suppose at this point we have two options:

 1. invalidate the release, cut an -rc3 and try again, or

 2. make the issue known but continue testing under the assumption that
    the submodule issues won't interact with any of the other changes
    and eventually and move directly to 8.2.2 final

Unfortunately at the moment I'm rather deep in debugging a codegen bug,
so I don't have the bandwidth to handle either of these at the moment.

Cheers,

- Ben