Re: [ANNOUNCE] GHC 8.2.2 release candidate 2

Re: [ANNOUNCE] GHC 8.2.2 release candidate 2

jpaugh
A better approach might be to develop a "machine-readable" output format which then is kept stable, and can be enabled with a flag. Git has a similar solution.

It would be a shame to avoid changes which make the user experience better simply because other projects cannot sync their development cycle, especially if those projects are not universally used or required.

Thanks,
Jonathan

On November 5, 2017 6:56:53 AM CST, Sven Panne <[hidden email]> wrote:
This is not an issue about 8.2.2 per se, but 8.2 changes in general: Recent discussions on Haskell Cafe showed serious problems with Emacs' haskell-mode due to some ad hoc changes like https://phabricator.haskell.org/D3651. Related GitHub issues:

It should be noted that the output of GHC(i) is actually part of GHC's interface, so in this light, there have been some breaking changes, probably unintended, but nevertheless. So my question is: Is there a chance to revert some of these ad hoc changes and/or add some flags to get the old behavior back? I guess that Emacs + haskell-mode is one of the most important IDEs, so it would be a pity to worsen the situation there.

I'm quite aware that it is very late in the release cycle, but it would be extremely nice if there was something which can be done. In the future it might make sense to co-operate with the haskell-mode team a bit more, perhaps adding some tests regarding the required output format etc. to GHC's test suite.

Cheers,
   S.

Re: [ANNOUNCE] GHC 8.2.2 release candidate 2

Viktor Dukhovni

> On Nov 5, 2017, at 9:37 AM, [hidden email] wrote:
>
> A better approach might be to develop a "machine-readable" output format which then is kept stable, and can be enabled with a flag. Git has a similar solution.
>
> It would be a shame to avoid changes which make the user experience better simply because other projects cannot sync their development cycle, especially if those projects are not universally used or required.

Amen to that.  I find the diagnostic output of 8.2 substantially improved
(more useful in locating the reported bugs) over previous versions.  So
reverting to previous behaviour would not be a good idea.

It should not take too long for the relevant emacs modules to be updated.
And they should be made more forgiving of small changes in the output
format (use less precise regular expressions).

--
        Viktor.

Re: [ANNOUNCE] GHC 8.2.2 release candidate 2

Sven Panne-2
Amen to that.  I find the diagnostic output of 8.2 substantially improved
(more useful in locating the reported bugs) over previous versions.  So
reverting to previous behaviour would not be a good idea.

I didn't propose that, just a way to *optionally* get the old behavior back until we blissfully live in a world with a stable machine-readable interface.

It should not take too long for the relevant emacs modules to be updated.
And they should be made more forgiving of small changes in the output
format (use less precise regular expressions).

If I understand the tickets correctly, there is a loss of information, so this might not be possible. OTOH, I don't fully understand how haskell-mode works under the hood...

Cheers,
   S.

Re: [ANNOUNCE] GHC 8.2.2 release candidate 2

Haskell - Haskell-Cafe mailing list
As the author of that diff, I agree that making it optional is the
right thing to do here -- and in fact I think my first version had
that behavior under a flag. It shouldn't be hard to introduce such a
flag, but I don't know if I have time to do it before 8.2.2 is
released... I'd be happy to help other volunteers, you can ping me on
#ghc, I'm bitonic.

Francesco

On Sun, Nov 5, 2017 at 10:12 PM, Evan Laforge <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Sun, Nov 5, 2017 at 4:56 AM, Sven Panne <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> This is not an issue about 8.2.2 per se, but 8.2 changes in general: Recent
>> discussions on Haskell Cafe showed serious problems with Emacs' haskell-mode
>> due to some ad hoc changes like https://phabricator.haskell.org/D3651.
>
> I've long used ghci -v0 to achieve the same effect.  When you have a
> couple hundred modules the "loaded X Y Z" is worse than useless.  But
> it's better to just add -v0, and maybe add more flags for finer
> control, than change the default and break tools.

Francesco Mazzoli
Senior Software Engineer
c: +39 3200346394
e: [hidden email]
Digital Asset (Switzerland) GmbH
Luggwegstrasse 9
8048 Zurich, Switzerland
digitalasset.com

--
This message, and any attachments, is for the intended recipient(s) only,
may contain information that is privileged, confidential and/or proprietary