Re: [ANNOUNCE] GHC 8.4.1-alpha1 available

Re: [ANNOUNCE] GHC 8.4.1-alpha1 available

Emanuel Borsboom
Hi Ben,

Are there any plans to start releasing Linux bindists linked with libncurses.so.6?  A number of Linux distributions have upgraded from 5, including Fedora, Arch and Gentoo, and the currently available official bindists don't work out of the box on those anymore.

-- Manny

Re: [ANNOUNCE] GHC 8.4.1-alpha1 available

Fabien R
On 20/12/17 21:48, Ben Gamari wrote:

> The GHC development team is pleased to announce the first alpha release
> of the 8.4.1 release. The usual release artifacts are available from
>
>     https://downloads.haskell.org/~ghc/8.4.1-alpha1

I tried to build the release from this script [1] which works
straightfully for GHC 8.2.2 on debian jessie.
1) There's a minor glitch showing:
GHC_VERSION = 8.4.1
but the version of the file in the download area is 8.4.0.20171214

2) GHC and cabal library installed successfully whereas cabal-install
failed with this error:

Linking Setup ...
Configuring HTTP-4000.3.7...
Setup: Encountered missing dependencies:
base >=4.3.0.0 && <4.11

Error during cabal-install bootstrap:
Configuring the HTTP package failed.

Any hint ?

--
Fabien

[1] gist.github.com/yantonov/10083524

Re: [ANNOUNCE] GHC 8.4.1-alpha1 available

Brandon Allbery
If you install over an older version of ghc, you will have a leftover package cache from the old version which will cause package lookups to fail. Someone else just tripped over this in IRC after installing a new ghc over an old one; the Arch 8.2.2 upgrade from 8.2.1 also seems to be susceptible to this. Rebuilding the package cache (ghc-pkg recache --global; with sudo if installed as root) will fix this.

On Sat, Dec 30, 2017 at 9:13 AM, Fabien R <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 20/12/17 21:48, Ben Gamari wrote:

> The GHC development team is pleased to announce the first alpha release
> of the 8.4.1 release. The usual release artifacts are available from
>
>     https://downloads.haskell.org/~ghc/8.4.1-alpha1

I tried to build the release from this script [1] which works
straightfully for GHC 8.2.2 on debian jessie.
1) There's a minor glitch showing:
GHC_VERSION = 8.4.1
but the version of the file in the download area is 8.4.0.20171214

2) GHC and cabal library installed successfully whereas cabal-install
failed with this error:

Linking Setup ...
Configuring HTTP-4000.3.7...
Setup: Encountered missing dependencies:
base >=4.3.0.0 && <4.11

Error during cabal-install bootstrap:
Configuring the HTTP package failed.

Any hint ?

--
Fabien

[1] gist.github.com/yantonov/10083524

Re: [ANNOUNCE] GHC 8.4.1-alpha1 available

Ben Gamari-3
Fabien R <[hidden email]> writes:

> On 20/12/17 21:48, Ben Gamari wrote:
>>
>> The GHC development team is pleased to announce the first alpha release
>> of the 8.4.1 release. The usual release artifacts are available from
>>
>>     https://downloads.haskell.org/~ghc/8.4.1-alpha1

Hi Fabien,

Thanks for taking the time to test.

> I tried to build the release from this script [1] which works
> straightfully for GHC 8.2.2 on debian jessie.
> 1) There's a minor glitch showing:
> GHC_VERSION = 8.4.1
> but the version of the file in the download area is 8.4.0.20171214

This is expected; pre-releases always have version numbers strictly less
than the final release they lead up to.

> 2) GHC and cabal library installed successfully whereas cabal-install
> failed with this error:
>
> Linking Setup ...
> Configuring HTTP-4000.3.7...
> Setup: Encountered missing dependencies:
> base >=4.3.0.0 && <4.11
>

> Error during cabal-install bootstrap:
> Configuring the HTTP package failed.

This is due to the upper bound on `base`. You will likely get farther if
you invoke cabal with --allow-newer=base. In general you will likely
want to use something like Herbert's head.hackage [1] patch-set if you
want to build larger projects with this alpha.

Cheers,

- Ben

[1] https://github.com/hvr/head.hackage

Emanuel Borsboom <[hidden email]> writes:

> Hi Ben,
>
> Are there any plans to start releasing Linux bindists linked with
> libncurses.so.6? A number of Linux distributions have upgraded from 5,
> including Fedora, Arch and Gentoo, and the currently available
> official bindists don't work out of the box on those anymore.

Indeed I can add an ncurses.so.6 platform to the build matrix. I'll
start with the next alpha. Thanks for mentioning this!

Cheers,

- Ben