Re: [ANNOUNCE] GHC 8.6.1 released

Herbert Valerio Riedel-3
Hello everyone,

Here's an addendum to the announcment as it ommitted an important detail:

GHC 8.6.1 is only guaranteed to work properly with tooling which uses
lib:Cabal version 2.4.0.1 or later.

As such, GHC 8.6.1 works best with ​`cabal-install` 2.4.0.0 or later;
please upgrade to `cabal-install` 2.4.0.0 if you haven't already.

Note that cabal-install 2.4 supports all GHC versions back till GHC
7.0.4 and we also strongly recommend to use the latest available stable
release of `cabal` even with older GHC releases as bugfixes and
improvements aren't always backported to older Cabal releases as well as
to be able to benefit from recently added CABAL format features[8] (or
be able to access package releases on Hackage[9] which rely on those
features) which require recent enough versions of Cabal as well.

Note that binaries aren't available on cabal's download page[1] yet.

If you're on Ubuntu or Debian, you can get a compiled cabal-install 2.4
`.deb` package via Apt from

- https://launchpad.net/~hvr/+archive/ubuntu/ghc

or

- http://downloads.haskell.org/debian/

respectively.

Binary versions for macOS and Windows are also expected to become
available via [2] and [3] soon (and also at [1]).

In the meantime, if you already have GHC 7.10 or later (together with a
compatible `cabal` executable) installed, you can easily install cabal
2.4 yourself from Hackage[9] by invoking

    cabal install cabal-install-2.4.0.0

and making sure that the resulting `cabal` executable is accessible via
your $PATH; you can check with `cabal --version` which should emit
something along the lines of

    $ cabal --version
    cabal-install version 2.4.0.0
    compiled using version 2.4.0.1 of the Cabal library

Finally, the Haskell Platform[4] release for GHC 8.6.1 should be
available soon as well which provides yet another recommended "standard
way to get GHC and related tools"[5] in a uniform way across multiple
operating systems. See [4] and [5] for more details about the standard
Haskell Platform distribution.

 [1]: https://www.haskell.org/cabal/download.html

 [2]: https://haskell.futurice.com/

 [3]: https://hub.zhox.com/posts/chocolatey-introduction/

 [4]: https://www.haskell.org/platform/

 [5]: https://mail.haskell.org/pipermail/ghc-devs/2015-July/009379.html

 [6]: https://launchpad.net/~hvr/+archive/ubuntu/ghc

 [7]: http://downloads.haskell.org/debian/

 [8]: https://cabal.readthedocs.io/en/latest/file-format-changelog.html

 [9]: http://hackage.haskell.org/

-- Herbert

On 2018-09-21 at 20:57:02 -0400, Ben Gamari wrote:

> [...]
> integration scheme. While the final 8.6 release is around three weeks
> later than initially scheduled due to late-breaking bug reports, we
> expect that the 8.8 release schedule shouldn't be affected.
>
> Thanks to everyone who has contributed to developing, documenting, and
> testing this release!
>
> As always, let us know if you encounter trouble.
>

> How to get it
> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>
> The easy way is to go to the web page, which should be self-explanatory:
>
>         https://www.haskell.org/ghc/
>
> We supply binary builds in the native package format for many
> platforms, and the source distribution is available from the same
> place.
>
> Packages will appear as they are built - if the package for your
> system isn't available yet, please try again later.
>

> Background
> ~~~~~~~~~~
>
> Haskell is a standard lazy functional programming language.
>
> GHC is a state-of-the-art programming suite for Haskell.  Included is
> an optimising compiler generating efficient code for a variety of
> platforms, together with an interactive system for convenient, quick
> development.  The distribution includes space and time profiling
> facilities, a large collection of libraries, and support for various
> language extensions, including concurrency, exceptions, and foreign
> language interfaces. GHC is distributed under a BSD-style open source license.
>
> A wide variety of Haskell related resources (tutorials, libraries,
> specifications, documentation, compilers, interpreters, references,
> contact information, links to research groups) are available from the
> Haskell home page (see below).
>

> On-line GHC-related resources
> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>
> Relevant URLs on the World-Wide Web:
>
> GHC home page              https://www.haskell.org/ghc/
> GHC developers' home page  https://ghc.haskell.org/trac/ghc/
> Haskell home page          https://www.haskell.org/
>

> Supported Platforms
> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>
> The list of platforms we support, and the people responsible for them,
> is here:
>
>    https://ghc.haskell.org/trac/ghc/wiki/Contributors
>
> Ports to other platforms are possible with varying degrees of
> difficulty.  The Building Guide describes how to go about porting to a
> new platform:
>
>     https://ghc.haskell.org/trac/ghc/wiki/Building
>

> Developers
> ~~~~~~~~~~
>
> We welcome new contributors.  Instructions on accessing our source
> code repository, and getting started with hacking on GHC, are
> available from the GHC's developer's site run by Trac:
>
>   https://ghc.haskell.org/trac/ghc/
>

> Mailing lists

> Some GHC developers hang out on #haskell on IRC, too:
>
>     https://www.haskell.org/haskellwiki/IRC_channel
>
> Please report bugs using our bug tracking system.  Instructions on

Jens Petersen-4
I have built 8.6.1 for Fedora 27, 28, 29, Rawhide, and EPEL7 in:

https://copr.fedorainfracloud.org/coprs/petersen/ghc-8.6.1/

The repo also includes latest cabal-install.

Thanks for the release!
Jens
On Sat, 22 Sep 2018 at 09:58, Ben Gamari <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
>
> The list of platforms we support, and the people responsible for them,
> is here:
>
>    https://ghc.haskell.org/trac/ghc/wiki/Contributors
>
> Ports to other platforms are possible with varying degrees of
> difficulty.  The Building Guide describes how to go about porting to a
> new platform:
>
>     https://ghc.haskell.org/trac/ghc/wiki/Building
>

> Developers
> ~~~~~~~~~~
>
> We welcome new contributors.  Instructions on accessing our source
> code repository, and getting started with hacking on GHC, are
> available from the GHC's developer's site run by Trac:
>
>   https://ghc.haskell.org/trac/ghc/
>

> Mailing lists

> Some GHC developers hang out on #haskell on IRC, too:
>
>     https://www.haskell.org/haskellwiki/IRC_channel
>
> Please report bugs using our bug tracking system.  Instructions on

Phyx
Hi All,

I've made a ticket for this but it seems it hasn't gotten any attention at all. As it stands now the 8.6.1 tarballs for Windows are a bit broken.
Because of a mistake I've made during the mapping of the ACLs from fopen to CreateFile it's accidentally asking for WRITE attributes rights when opening a read-only file.
Note that this is slightly different from WRITE permissions on the file itself. So reading a read-only file works fine, as long as you're the owner or have sufficient right to modify the metadata.
This is why the CI did not catch it.  The CI cannot create a file which it's not an owner off, or for which it doesn't have permissions to remove the file (it would get stuck).

The only way to catch this is to run GHC from a privileged location such as how chocolatey installs it or how Haskell Platform would. Essentially this means no GHC on chocolatey or HP
can run without you being an admin or the owner of the location it was installed to, and the same applies to any binaries produced by this GHC. This probably will prevent HP builds for it.

I'll modify my chocolatey packages to actually run the GHC after installing it as a post install step. This should catch such errors in the future during betas.

Thanks,
Tamar

On Mon, Sep 24, 2018 at 2:37 PM Ben Gamari <[hidden email]> wrote:

On September 24, 2018 2:09:13 AM CDT, Jens Petersen <[hidden email]> wrote:
>I have built 8.6.1 for Fedora 27, 28, 29, Rawhide, and EPEL7 in:
>
>https://copr.fedorainfracloud.org/coprs/petersen/ghc-8.6.1/
>
>The repo also includes latest cabal-install.

Thanks Jens! This is a very helpful service.

Cheers,

- Ben