Re: [ANNOUNCE] GHC 8.8.1-alpha2 is now available

Re: [ANNOUNCE] GHC 8.8.1-alpha2 is now available

Jens Petersen-4
Hi Ben, thanks

I am not able to get
https://downloads.haskell.org/ghc/8.8.1-alpha2/ghc-8.8.0.20190613-src.tar.xz
somehow.

Jens

On Sun, 16 Jun 2019 at 03:36, Ben Gamari <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello everyone,
>
> The GHC team is pleased to announce the second and likely last alpha
> release of GHC 8.8.1. The source distribution, binary distributions, and
> documentation are available at
>
>     https://downloads.haskell.org/~ghc/8.8.1-alpha2
>
> A draft of the release notes is also available [1].
>
> This release is the culmination of over 3000 commits by over one hundred
> contributors and has several new features and numerous bug fixes
> relative to GHC 8.6:
>
>  * Profiling now works correctly on 64-bit Windows (although still may
>    be problematic on 32-bit Windows due to platform limitations; see
>    #15934)
>
>  * A new code layout algorithm for amd64's native code generator
>
>  * The introduction of a late lambda-lifting pass which may reduce
>    allocations significantly for some programs.
>
>  * Further work on Trees That Grow, enabling improved code re-use of the
>    Haskell AST in tooling
>
>  * More locations where users can write `forall` (GHC Proposal #0007)
>
>  * Further work on the Hadrian build system
>
> This release brings a number of fixes since alpha 1:
>
>  * A number of linker fixes (#16779, #16784)
>
>  * The process, binary, Cabal, time, terminfo libraries have all been
>    bumped to their final release versions
>
>  * A regression rendering TemplateHaskell unusable in cross-compiled
>    configurations has been fixed (#16331)
>
>  * A regression causing compiler panics on compilation of some programs
>    has been fixed (#16449)
>
>  * -Wmissing-home-modules now handles hs-boot files correctly (#16551)
>
>  * A regression causing some programs to fail at runtime has been fixed
>    (#16066)
>
> Due to on-going work on our release and testing infrastructure this
> cycle is proceeding at a pace significantly slower than expected.
> However, we anticipate that this investment will allow us to release a
> more reliable, easier-to-install compiler on the planned six-month
> release cadence in the future.
>
> As always, if anything looks amiss do let us know.
>
> Happy compiling!
>
> Cheers,
>
> - Ben
>
> [1] https://downloads.haskell.org/ghc/8.8.1-alpha2/docs/html/users_guide/8.8.1-notes.html

Re: [ANNOUNCE] GHC 8.8.1-alpha2 is now available

Ben Gamari-3
Jens Petersen <[hidden email]> writes:

> Hi Ben, thanks
>
> I am not able to get
> https://downloads.haskell.org/ghc/8.8.1-alpha2/ghc-8.8.0.20190613-src.tar.xz
> somehow.

Sigh, it looks like this is yet another CDN issue. Our CDN will surely
be the death of me. I've added yet another flush rule so this should be
fixed.

Cheers,

- Ben

Re: [ANNOUNCE] GHC 8.8.1-alpha2 is now available

Matthew Pickering
There seems to be no debian8 bindist which is different from every
release at least back to ghc-8.0.1.

On Sat, Jun 15, 2019 at 8:36 PM Ben Gamari <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello everyone,
>
> The GHC team is pleased to announce the second and likely last alpha
> release of GHC 8.8.1. The source distribution, binary distributions, and
> documentation are available at
>
>     https://downloads.haskell.org/~ghc/8.8.1-alpha2
>
> A draft of the release notes is also available [1].
>
> This release is the culmination of over 3000 commits by over one hundred
> contributors and has several new features and numerous bug fixes
> relative to GHC 8.6:
>
>  * Profiling now works correctly on 64-bit Windows (although still may
>    be problematic on 32-bit Windows due to platform limitations; see
>    #15934)
>
>  * A new code layout algorithm for amd64's native code generator
>
>  * The introduction of a late lambda-lifting pass which may reduce
>    allocations significantly for some programs.
>
>  * Further work on Trees That Grow, enabling improved code re-use of the
>    Haskell AST in tooling
>
>  * More locations where users can write `forall` (GHC Proposal #0007)
>
>  * Further work on the Hadrian build system
>
> This release brings a number of fixes since alpha 1:
>
>  * A number of linker fixes (#16779, #16784)
>
>  * The process, binary, Cabal, time, terminfo libraries have all been
>    bumped to their final release versions
>
>  * A regression rendering TemplateHaskell unusable in cross-compiled
>    configurations has been fixed (#16331)
>
>  * A regression causing compiler panics on compilation of some programs
>    has been fixed (#16449)
>
>  * -Wmissing-home-modules now handles hs-boot files correctly (#16551)
>
>  * A regression causing some programs to fail at runtime has been fixed
>    (#16066)
>
> Due to on-going work on our release and testing infrastructure this
> cycle is proceeding at a pace significantly slower than expected.
> However, we anticipate that this investment will allow us to release a
> more reliable, easier-to-install compiler on the planned six-month
> release cadence in the future.
>
> As always, if anything looks amiss do let us know.
>
> Happy compiling!
>
> Cheers,
>
> - Ben
>
> [1] https://downloads.haskell.org/ghc/8.8.1-alpha2/docs/html/users_guide/8.8.1-notes.html

Re: [ANNOUNCE] GHC 8.8.1-alpha2 is now available

Karel Gardas

Hi Ben,

On 06/15/19 09:35 PM, Ben Gamari wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>
> The GHC team is pleased to announce the second and likely last alpha
> release of GHC 8.8.1. The source distribution, binary distributions, and
> documentation are available at
>
>      https://downloads.haskell.org/~ghc/8.8.1-alpha2
>
> A draft of the release notes is also available [1].

No sure why, but fix for #13633 has not made into the 8.8 branch. Due to
this testwsdeque fails from time to time on POWER. Tested on
ppc64le/ubuntu 18.04. Bootstrapped with ghc 8.6.3.

Is there any chance you may cherrypick Peter's fix in merge request 445?
Would be great since otherwise besides some profiling related tests
failing the build looks fine on ppc64le.

Thanks!
Karel

Karel Gardas <[hidden email]> writes:

> Hi Ben,
>
> On 06/15/19 09:35 PM, Ben Gamari wrote:
>> Hello everyone,
>>
>> The GHC team is pleased to announce the second and likely last alpha
>> release of GHC 8.8.1. The source distribution, binary distributions, and
>> documentation are available at
>>
>>      https://downloads.haskell.org/~ghc/8.8.1-alpha2
>>
>> A draft of the release notes is also available [1].
>
> No sure why, but fix for #13633 has not made into the 8.8 branch. Due to
> this testwsdeque fails from time to time on POWER. Tested on
> ppc64le/ubuntu 18.04. Bootstrapped with ghc 8.6.3.
>
> Is there any chance you may cherrypick Peter's fix in merge request 445?
> Would be great since otherwise besides some profiling related tests
> failing the build looks fine on ppc64le.

Thanks Karel! I've cherry-picked this and there will be an additional
set of memory ordering fixes [1] appearing in 8.8 as well.

Cheers,

- Ben

[1] https://gitlab.haskell.org/ghc/ghc/merge_requests/1128/

Re: [ANNOUNCE] GHC 8.8.1-alpha2 is now available

Jens Petersen-4
Thanks, I forgot to follow up that I updated the Fedora ghc:8.8 module
stream to alpha2 for F30+.

Though it fails sometimes on s390x (gcc failure).