Re: [ANNOUNCE] Glasgow Haskell Compiler 8.10.3 released

Re: [ANNOUNCE] Glasgow Haskell Compiler 8.10.3 released

Shayne Fletcher

On Sat, Dec 19, 2020 at 7:23 PM Ben Gamari <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hello all,

The GHC team is happy to announce the release of GHC 8.10.3. Source
and binary distributions are available at the usual place:

    https://downloads.haskell.org/ghc/8.10.3/

Thanks!

There doesn't seem to be a ghc-8.10.3-release tag in the [hidden email]:ghc/ghc.git repository. Shouldn't there be?

--
Shayne Fletcher

Re: [ANNOUNCE] Glasgow Haskell Compiler 8.10.3 released

Ben Gamari-3
Shayne Fletcher <[hidden email]> writes:

> On Sat, Dec 19, 2020 at 7:23 PM Ben Gamari <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Hello all,
>>
>> The GHC team is happy to announce the release of GHC 8.10.3. Source
>> and binary distributions are available at the usual place:
>>
>>     https://downloads.haskell.org/ghc/8.10.3/
>

> Thanks!
>
> There doesn't seem to be a ghc-8.10.3-release tag in
> the [hidden email]:ghc/ghc.git repository. Shouldn't there be?

Indeed. Fixed!

Cheers,

- Ben

Re: [ANNOUNCE] Glasgow Haskell Compiler 8.10.3 released

lonetiger
Hi Ben,

The package ghc-8.10.3-x86_64-unknown-mingw32-integer-simple.tar.xz reports

Tamar@PowPow /t/ghc> ./ghc-8.10.3/bin/ghc.exe -v
Glasgow Haskell Compiler, Version 8.10.3, stage 2 booted by GHC version 8.8.3
wired-in package integer-wired-in mapped to integer-gmp-1.0.3.0

Tamar@PowPow /t/ghc> ./ghc-8.10.3/bin/ghc-pkg list | grep integer
    integer-gmp-1.0.3.0

Is this package correct? The naming seems different from the one in the 9.0.1-alpha as well (that one had an explicit -integer-simple in the folder name when uncompressed)

Thanks,
Tamar

On Sun, Dec 20, 2020 at 12:23 AM Ben Gamari <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hello all,

The GHC team is happy to announce the release of GHC 8.10.3. Source
and binary distributions are available at the usual place:

    https://downloads.haskell.org/ghc/8.10.3/

GHC 8.10.3 fixes a number of issues in present in GHC 8.10.2 including:

 * Numerous stability improves on Windows

 * More robust support for architectures with weak memory ordering
   guarantees (e.g. modern ARM hardware).

 * GHC can now split dynamic objects to accomodate macOS' RPATH size
   limitation when building large projects (#14444)

 * Several correctness bugs in the new low-latency garbage collector

 * Many, many other bug-fixes

Note that at the moment we still require that macOS Catalina users
exempt the binary distribution from the notarization requirement by
running `xattr -cr .` on the unpacked tree before running `make install`.
This situation will hopefully be improved for GHC 9.0.1 with the
resolution of #17418 [1].

Cheers,

- Ben

[1] https://gitlab.haskell.org/ghc/ghc/issues/17418