Re: Accessing 'Annotations' of modules in external packages

Re: Accessing 'Annotations' of modules in external packages

Christiaan Baaij
ghc-devs is probably a better location for GHC API questions.

We use that to find the following annotations in compiled packages: http://hackage.haskell.org/package/clash-prelude-0.99/docs/Clash-Annotations-Primitive.html

* You need a `Module` to start with (you can e.g. get one from a `CoreBndr`)
* You need to load the interface file (.hi) for that module.
* One you have the contents of the interface file, you can do `TcIface.tcIfaceAnnotations (GHC.mi_anns iface)` to get something of the `Annotation` type.

Hope that helps.

-- Christiaan

On 18 April 2018 at 23:01, Ranjit Jhala <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi all,

I'm looking for some help using the GHC API to

access the 'Annotations' (created using the 'ANN'

mechanism) within modules of *external* packages

i.e. non-home modules.Currently I'm using

  hscEPS :: HscEnv -> IO ExternalPackageState

and then using the field

  eps_PIT :: !PackageIfaceTable

and from there, accessing the

  mi_anns :: [IfaceAnnotation]

field of the

  data ModIface

stored in the PackageIfaceTable but this ends in an unfortunate:

```
panic! (the 'impossible' happened)
  (GHC version 8.2.2 for x86_64-apple-darwin):
    No mi_anns in PIT

Please report this as a GHC bug:  http://www.haskell.org/ghc/reportabug
```

Perhaps this is because, as the documentation for `mi_anns` says:

   Annotations NOT STRICT! we read this field lazily from the interface file

but I am not sure how to proceed at this point? Do I need a _different_ HscEnv? Or perhaps I need to set up/initialize the HscEnv separately?

Any pointers would be most welcome!

Thanks!

Ranjit.