Re: Announce: Haskell Platform 8.6.5 (Gershom B)

Re: Announce: Haskell Platform 8.6.5 (Gershom B)

Haskell - Haskell-Cafe mailing list
Dear Gershom / GHC development team,

The provided windows version of GHC contains lib-gmp.
Hence, this version enforces a LGPL license on my code
 (see e.g. https://gitlab.haskell.org/ghc/ghc/wikis/replacing-gmp-notes for more info) .
Unfortunately, this license is unacceptable for me.

For me this raises the question: What is the strategy of GHC with respect to licensing?
In particularly,
* Why considers GHC a LGPL license for all the code developed by their users acceptable?
* Is GHC considering to allow their user to standardly develop their code under a license of their own choice?
* Are there plans to offer the GHC users an opportunity to choose the license in the near future?
   e.g. by distributing GHC binary distributions with integer-gmp and integer-simple.

Thanks in advance for your answers,

Pierre van de Laar

Date: Wed, 8 May 2019 16:28:21 -0400
From: Gershom B <[hidden email]>
To: haskell-cafe <[hidden email]>, [hidden email]
Subject: [Haskell-cafe] Announce: Haskell Platform 8.6.5

On behalf of the Haskell Platform team, I'm happy to announce the release of

Haskell Platform 8.6.5

Now available at

https://eur01.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.haskell.org%2Fplatform%2F&amp;data=02%7C01%7C%7Cd954a15a52dd434d55b208d6d47d261e%7C1a407a2d76754d178692b3ac285306e4%7C0%7C0%7C636930031310033410&amp;sdata=HQ%2Fzhjj0Ov2AXsSy6Smnx2vrQJlZDAnttGV5%2FQjZkO8%3D&amp;reserved=0

This includes GHC 8.6.5, cabal-install 2.4.1.0, and stack 1.9.3.

It is an incremental release over 8.6.3 intended mainly to make available bugfixes for windows in subsequent revisions in the 8.6 series and otherwise leave everything the same. These windows fixes are important, and it is recommended all windows users upgrade to
8.6.5 whether through the platform installer or some other mechanism.

For detail on these changes and fixes see
https://eur01.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.haskell.org%2Fghc%2Fblog%2F20190305-ghc-8.6.4-released.html&amp;data=02%7C01%7C%7Cd954a15a52dd434d55b208d6d47d261e%7C1a407a2d76754d178692b3ac285306e4%7C0%7C0%7C636930031310033410&amp;sdata=IxRhbFNkYVk7Pam6WWTPuaUQNyzYNh2OtYNlRZp6hs8%3D&amp;reserved=0
https://eur01.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.haskell.org%2Fghc%2Fblog%2F20190423-ghc-8.6.5-released.html&amp;data=02%7C01%7C%7Cd954a15a52dd434d55b208d6d47d261e%7C1a407a2d76754d178692b3ac285306e4%7C0%7C0%7C636930031310033410&amp;sdata=21Nat%2FDG1u7cb9I9%2BiC%2BUUtQZj3SKgDU6qzVIdb7JGw%3D&amp;reserved=0

As with the 8.6.3 release, we are only providing core builds. Further, in 8.6.3 we moved from generic linux installers to recommending users install ghc through ghcup. As discussed in the last announcement, we have now moved to recommending os x users also use ghcup rather than a dedicated binary installer. For more details, please see the 8.6.3 announcement at
https://eur01.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fmail.haskell.org%2Fpipermail%2Fhaskell-cafe%2F2018-December%2F130371.html&amp;data=02%7C01%7C%7Cd954a15a52dd434d55b208d6d47d261e%7C1a407a2d76754d178692b3ac285306e4%7C0%7C0%7C636930031310033410&amp;sdata=UfTClxGp5Ht0dzpjV85pQUHO7hO8cZc5BEPJj1ImNuA%3D&amp;reserved=0

Happy Haskell Hacking all,
Gershom

________________________________

Re: Announce: Haskell Platform 8.6.5 (Gershom B)

Joachim Durchholz
Am 14.05.19 um 09:05 schrieb Pierre_van_der_Laar (Functional Account)
via Haskell-Cafe:
> Dear Gershom / GHC development team,
>
> The provided windows version of GHC contains lib-gmp.
> Hence, this version enforces a LGPL license on my code
>   (see e.g. https://gitlab.haskell.org/ghc/ghc/wikis/replacing-gmp-notes for more info) .
> Unfortunately, this license is unacceptable for me.

What is making the LGPL inacceptable for you?
The usual understanding of the LGPL enforces the LGPL license only on
the lib-gmp code itself and any modifications you make to it, not on any
other parts of the code.

Regards,
Jo

Re: Announce: Haskell Platform 8.6.5 (Gershom B)

Daniel Trstenjak-2
Hi Joachim,

On Tue, May 14, 2019 at 04:32:34PM +0200, Joachim Durchholz wrote:
> The usual understanding of the LGPL enforces the LGPL license only on the
> lib-gmp code itself and any modifications you make to it, not on any other
> parts of the code.

if you follow the LGPL strictly - which I think almost nobody does - you
also have to provide a development kit for you application, that users
can relink your application with newer versions of the lib-gmp.

Greetings,
Daniel

Re: Announce: Haskell Platform 8.6.5 (Gershom B)

Stefan Monnier
> The provided windows version of GHC contains lib-gmp.
> Hence, this version enforces a LGPL license on my code

I think you're confusing the GPL and the LGPL here.
Otherwise, please clarify what you mean by "enforces a LGPL license on
my code".

        Stefan

On Tue, May 14, 2019 at 05:21:09PM +0200, Daniel Trstenjak wrote:
> if you follow the LGPL strictly - which I think almost nobody does - you
> also have to provide a development kit for you application, that users
> can relink your application with newer versions of the lib-gmp.

I should have added, that you should be fine - no need for a development
kit - as long as you don't statically link the lib-gmp.

Greetings,
Daniel

Am 14.05.19 um 17:21 schrieb Daniel Trstenjak:

> Hi Joachim,
>
> On Tue, May 14, 2019 at 04:32:34PM +0200, Joachim Durchholz wrote:
>> The usual understanding of the LGPL enforces the LGPL license only on the
>> lib-gmp code itself and any modifications you make to it, not on any other
>> parts of the code.
>
> if you follow the LGPL strictly - which I think almost nobody does - you
> also have to provide a development kit for you application, that users
> can relink your application with newer versions of the lib-gmp.

Mmm... sort-of. You have to make sure that people can take lib-gmp,
change it, and relink your application with it.
A reference to a standard build environment should be enough to fulfil
that requirement, though it can become a bit more difficult if you have
packaging steps after linking.

Re: Announce: Haskell Platform 8.6.5 (Gershom B)

Brandon Allbery
Most of the builds use a system or packaged libgmp of some variety, so it's not even bundled with ghc. (This includes Windows builds, using the package from msys2.)

On Tue, May 14, 2019 at 2:42 PM Joachim Durchholz <[hidden email]> wrote:
Am 14.05.19 um 17:21 schrieb Daniel Trstenjak:
> Hi Joachim,
>
> On Tue, May 14, 2019 at 04:32:34PM +0200, Joachim Durchholz wrote:
>> The usual understanding of the LGPL enforces the LGPL license only on the
>> lib-gmp code itself and any modifications you make to it, not on any other
>> parts of the code.
>
> if you follow the LGPL strictly - which I think almost nobody does - you
> also have to provide a development kit for you application, that users
> can relink your application with newer versions of the lib-gmp.

Mmm... sort-of. You have to make sure that people can take lib-gmp,
change it, and relink your application with it.
A reference to a standard build environment should be enough to fulfil
that requirement, though it can become a bit more difficult if you have
packaging steps after linking.

brandon s allbery kf8nh

Re: Announce: Haskell Platform 8.6.5 (Gershom B)

Phyx
Most of the builds use a system or packaged libgmp of some variety, so it's not even bundled with ghc. (This includes Windows builds, using the package from msys2.)

Windows uses a statistically linked gmp built from source during the ghc bootstrap. It does not use libgmp from msys2.
The difficulty here is that Haskell programs should work regardless of if you're running in msys2 or not. Compared to other languages that are dynamically linked ghc has no "runtime libraries". You'd have to ship libgmp with every application you make.

On Tue, May 14, 2019, 19:47 Brandon Allbery <[hidden email]> wrote:
Most of the builds use a system or packaged libgmp of some variety, so it's not even bundled with ghc. (This includes Windows builds, using the package from msys2.)

On Tue, May 14, 2019 at 2:42 PM Joachim Durchholz <[hidden email]> wrote:
Am 14.05.19 um 17:21 schrieb Daniel Trstenjak:
> Hi Joachim,
>
> On Tue, May 14, 2019 at 04:32:34PM +0200, Joachim Durchholz wrote:
>> The usual understanding of the LGPL enforces the LGPL license only on the
>> lib-gmp code itself and any modifications you make to it, not on any other
>> parts of the code.
>
> if you follow the LGPL strictly - which I think almost nobody does - you
> also have to provide a development kit for you application, that users
> can relink your application with newer versions of the lib-gmp.

Mmm... sort-of. You have to make sure that people can take lib-gmp,
change it, and relink your application with it.
A reference to a standard build environment should be enough to fulfil
that requirement, though it can become a bit more difficult if you have
packaging steps after linking.

brandon s allbery kf8nh

Re: Announce: Haskell Platform 8.6.5 (Gershom B)

Niklas Hambüchen
Hello Pierre,

On 21/05/2019 11:54 AM, Pierre_van_der_Laar (Functional Account) via Haskell-Cafe wrote:
> Whenever a program is compiled with GHC and is distributed on another platform than OS X,
> anybody can claim that the source code of that program must be provided due to the LGPL license,
> since integer-gmp, the ghc code, and that program's code are statically linked!

Some facts on Linux:

libgmp code is *not* typically statically linked into executables created with GHC.
Consider this hello-world program built with `ghc --make`:

    % ldd Hello
    linux-vdso.so.1 =>  (0x00007ffe1d1ad000)
    libgmp.so.10 => /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libgmp.so.10 (0x00007f710fe3e000)

As you can see, this program is dynamically linked against my system libgmp.so.
As an end user of this program I can compile my own libgmp and make the program use that instead.

Only if you pass flags to GHC to indicate that you want libgmp linked statically will it do so.
In that static-linking case, you need to ensure that your program, when distributed, satisfies the requirements that gmp's LGPL has on being linked statically.

For the cases where you do not want to use libgmp at all, you can use
* integer-simple
* integer-openssl (upcoming, see https://github.com/ch1bo/integer-openssl/issues/3)

Hope this helps,
Niklas