Re: Announcement: Real World Haskell

Previous Topic Next Topic
 
classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
5 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Announcement: Real World Haskell

Jeff Greer
Hi Ben,

There is plenty of room at linuxagora.com for new reading groups. I'll add
it to the list. If you know enough that would be interested in the Hutton
book, it could be done concurrently.

We are always open for new ideas.

Thanks, Jeff

Message: 2

> Date: Sun, 01 Aug 2010 02:54:58 +0900
> From: [hidden email] (Benjamin L. Russell)
> Subject: [Haskell-beginners] Re: Announcement: Real World Haskell -
>        Reading Group
> To: [hidden email]
> Message-ID: <[hidden email]>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset=utf-8
>
> Jeff Greer <[hidden email]> writes:
>
> > Hi Russel,Thanks for the suggestion to start a Haskell Reading Group mail
> list. At the current time, I can not fit it into my schedul...?  full time
> teaching job, gard school, and family....I hope some find the reading group
> useful.
> > -- http://teacherwikiweb.com
>
> My pleasure.  Incidentally, another great book I would suggest for a
> reading group would be _Programming in Haskell_ [1], by Graham Hutton.
>
> Does anybody have any plans to start a reading group for this book?
>
> -- Benjamin L. Russell
>
> [1] Hutton, Graham. _Programming in Haskell._ Cambridge: Cambridge
> University Press,
> 2007. Print. <http://www.cs.nott.ac.uk/~gmh/book.html<http://www.cs.nott.ac.uk/%7Egmh/book.html>
> >.
>
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: http://www.haskell.org/pipermail/beginners/attachments/20100731/a95d9d28/attachment.html
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Announcement: Real World Haskell

Benjamin L. Russell
Jeff Greer <[hidden email]> writes:

> Hi Ben,There is plenty of room at http://linuxagora.com for new reading groups. I&#39;ll add it to the list. If you know enough that would be interested in the Hutton book, it could be done concurrently.
> We are always open for new ideas.Thanks, Jeff

Thank you.

One issue with reading RWH online is the sheer quantity and length of
comments:  Many of the comments contain detailed supplementary
information, but reading through all the comments actually takes far
more time than reading the text, with the result that reading them both
together and practicing all the examples takes hours for a single
chapter.

It would be nice to have some kind of rating system/filter for the
comments (say, similar to that for _Slashdot Apple Stories_ [1]), so
that only comments above a certain rating could be filtered through.  I
usually wind up reading all the comments (some of which require
re-reading parts of the text for the context) for each section, and by
the time I am done with them, I usually don't have enough time (or
energy) left for the rest of the chapter until the next sitting.

One reason that I suggested _Programming in Haskell_ is that it takes
less time to read.  While I appreciate the opportunity to contribute to
editing RWH through comments, reading them all (and some need to be read
through to determine whether they are significant) in a reading group
with deadlines for reading each chapter can be too exhausting.

-- Benjamin L. Russell

[1] _Slashdot Apple Stories._ Geeknet, Inc., 2010. Web. 3
Aug. 2010. <http://apple.slashdot.org/>.

> Message: 2
> Date: Sun, 01 Aug 2010 02:54:58 +0900
> From: [hidden email] (Benjamin L. Russell)
> Subject: [Haskell-beginners] Re: Announcement: Real World Haskell -
>  ? ? ? ?Reading Group
> To: mailto:[hidden email]
> Message-ID: <[hidden email]>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset=utf-8
>
> Jeff Greer <mailto:[hidden email]> writes:
>
>> Hi Russel,Thanks for the suggestion to start a Haskell Reading Group mail list. At the current time, I can not fit it into my schedul...?? full time teaching job, gard school, and family....I hope some find the reading group useful.
>
>> -- http://teacherwikiweb.com
>
> My pleasure. ?Incidentally, another great book I would suggest for a
> reading group would be _Programming in Haskell_ [1], by Graham Hutton.
>
> Does anybody have any plans to start a reading group for this book?
>
> -- Benjamin L. Russell
>
> [1] Hutton, Graham. _Programming in Haskell._ Cambridge: Cambridge
> University Press,
> 2007. Print. <http://www.cs.nott.ac.uk/%7Egmh/book.html>.
>

--
Benjamin L. Russell  /   DekuDekuplex at Yahoo dot com
http://dekudekuplex.wordpress.com/
Translator/Interpreter / Mobile:  +011 81 80-3603-6725
"Furuike ya, kawazu tobikomu mizu no oto." -- Matsuo Basho^

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Announcement: Real World Haskell

Dave Bayer

On Aug 3, 2010, at 1:44 AM, Benjamin L. Russell wrote:

> One issue with reading RWH online is the sheer quantity and length of
> comments:

I bought RWH for my Kindle, to support the authors. I prefer reading the HTML version, without comments. To best accomplish this, download the book folder from their site, using any "SiteSucker" type of tool on hand. Then delete the Java folder (I don't recall the details, so experiment on a copy) and the comments all magically go away, making a spectacular HTLM book.

The comments were solicited and intended to help the authors write the book; I contributed comments. I don't need to read every comment now.

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Announcement: Real World Haskell

skip@pobox.com

    >> One issue with reading RWH online is the sheer quantity and length of
    >> comments:

    Dave> ... download the book folder from their site, using any
    Dave> "SiteSucker" type of tool on hand. Then delete the Java folder ...

Wouldn't it just be simpler to resist the urge to click on the comments
links in the online version?  Most of the time I ignore them but if
something doesn't settle properly into my brain on first reading I click the
comments link and skim what's there.

Maybe other peoples' browsers are different, but by default the comments are
not expanded when I read in Chrome on my Mac.  They are quite unobtrusive.

--
Skip Montanaro - [hidden email] - http://www.smontanaro.net/
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Announcement: Real World Haskell

Dave Bayer
This is a matter of taste. I find them obtrusive, and worth the 30 seconds effort to fix the problem, and the 60 seconds effort to alert others to the fix in case they hadn't realized it was so simple. I'm not making a statement, just customizing my environment.

On Aug 3, 2010, at 10:30 AM, [hidden email] wrote:

> Wouldn't it just be simpler to resist the urge to click on the comments
> links in the online version?  ... They are quite unobtrusive.